Black Is Beautiful II

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,070
    edited December 1969

CalieVee said:
    And SickleYield just released the Genesis2 version of Die Trying Morphs.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/72792/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-Morphs-for-Genesis-2-Female

Ooh, thank you SickleYield - I use the Genesis version a lot!
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Very glad that the DieTrying set for G2F is out. Though that does call attention to the fact that there aren't any darker freebie skins on the V5 UV. Speaking of freebies, need to update the first post with some stuff.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622
    edited October 2013

ZamuelNow said:
    Very glad that the DieTrying set for G2F is out. Though that does call attention to the fact that there aren't any darker freebie skins on the V5 UV. Speaking of freebies, need to update the first post with some stuff.

I'm using Reciecup's Star with updated shaders for my promos, mostly. It's on V4 UV, which only reinforces your point, of course.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

I had been meaning to ask what skin you used. Almost thought it was a diffuse adjustment but those tend to be noticeable.

edited October 2013

ZamuelNow said:
    I had been meaning to ask what skin you used. Almost thought it was a diffuse adjustment but those tend to be noticeable.

The one in the DieTrying promo is a shader adjustment of the free Bree skin for Genesis 2 Female. I did more than just the diffuse - the specularity, the velvet, the SSS - but it's still not quite right in for e.g. the palms of the hands and feet. I went to the extra effort of properly setting up the Star skin for my Faces of Africa promos (which have not been shown anywhere yet 'cause I just wrapped up an hour ago).

I haven't done anything with Candace and G2F yet. Has anyone?

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

The original promos for Faces of Africa. I won't be able to use these (DAZ asked for a no-textures version) so I thought I would share them.

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Faces-of-Africa-Original-Promos-01-410853125
    http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Faces-of-Africa-Original-Promos-02-410853782

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Wow! So many impressive renders in here! Here is one I made way back when for the Stonemason contest.

Impostor-HiRes-1600.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 910K
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Wow! So many impressive renders in here! Here is one I made way back when for the Stonemason contest.

Really nice use of camera and composition to convey emotion.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

G2F with various morphs and Mahala textues.
    "Jamila"

Jamila.jpg
    1086 x 1250 - 353K
    edited December 1969

Updated the first post since People of Earth: Faces of Africa Genesis 2 Female(s) is now out. I think Daz made a really poor judgement call on the promos but little I can do about that. Still getting it when my paycheck comes in though.

Something I've noticed recently since I've been explicitly looking for it is that there's incredibly few black females on the V5. It's an odd tradeoff where Genesis being able to use V4 out the box created a bit of a void for G2F on darker skinned characters (barring all the market reasons why there's fewer anyways).

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2013

There isn't very many currently, and is something I noticed also. V5 and V6. I hope it changes in the near future, Ive actually searched for them specifically a few times now lol

And Yeah, Sickles "Faces of Africa" another must buy :)

The original promos for Faces of Africa. I won't be able to use these (DAZ asked for a no-textures version) so I thought I would share them.

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Faces-of-Africa-Original-Promos-01-410853125
    http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Faces-of-Africa-Original-Promos-02-410853782

Those are beautiful! Such a shame Daz wanted them without textures, I like these much better.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Untextured, it is impossible to even imagine (at least with my poor imagination) what the morphs look like; with the original promo art I can see what I'm getting. A bad call on someone's part. They should have gone with SY's original promos. The content creator's instincts should be trusted. They are, after all, artists.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2013

tjohn said:
    Untextured, it is impossible to even imagine (at least with my poor imagination) what the morphs look like; with the original promo art I can see what I'm getting. A bad call on someone's part. They should have gone with SY's original promos. The content creator's instincts should be trusted. They are, after all, artists.

Very well spoken. I agree 100%

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

The conspiracy theorist in me would say that they didn't want the skins due to the aforementioned lack of newer product. However, in a more level headed level of thought can point out their flaws.

-It creates inconsistency with the Face of Asia product that's already out.
    -Like many vendors, SickleYield and Fuseling have a house style for their promos. For those not already expecting this to come out, it's hard to tell that it's theirs.
    -Daz is incredibly inconsistent with whether skins are or are not used for morph promos. It's worth pointing out that their own ethnic morphs for Genesis and V4/M4 use skin tones instead of grey.

I could see them proposing half and half--some grey and some skin toned--but not all grey.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited November 2013

Spyro said:
    tjohn said:

I'm thinking there was a misunderstanding on the untextured version bit.

DAZ asks me for a untextured version of the morphs in my products to show the customers what the morphs look like without textures, as things such as diffuse, bump, etc can fool the customer in thinking the morph is detailed when it's really not. However, I kept my original promos as well to show how it looks with textures as the artistic promos... so you see the artistic and main ones first, then what the morphs looks like without textures. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't want the other promos as artistic, unless there was a misunderstanding and sickleyield deleted the original promos out of the submission and replaced them with only untextured ones.

Only issue would be if they can tell that the textures used weren't up to the quality meeting the morphs, such as using a Caucasian texture and changing the diffuse to make it ethnic, which if she was using reciecups textures, I can understand. There's plenty of truly ethnic skins available on DAZ where you don't have to change diffuse on a Caucasian skin.

Just want to make that point so the speculation doesn't get out of control.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • SupercopeSupercope Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    tjohn said:

DAZ asks me for a untextured version of the morphs in my products to show the customers what the morphs look like without textures, as things such as diffuse, bump, etc can fool the customer in thinking the morph is detailed when it's really not. However, I kept my original promos as well to show how it looks with textures as the artistic promos... so you see the artistic and main ones first, then what the morphs looks like without textures. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't want the other promos as artistic, unless there was a misunderstanding and sickleyield deleted the original promos out of the submission and replaced them with only untextured ones.

Only issue would be if they can tell that the textures used weren't up to the quality meeting the morphs, such as using a Caucasian texture and changing the diffuse to make it ethnic, which if she was using reciecups textures, I can understand. There's plenty of truly ethnic skins available on DAZ where you don't have to change diffuse on a Caucasian skin.

Not to continue to "spin things out of control" but can you elaborate a little on what you meant by using Reciecup's textures? Thanks.

NOTE: I only ask as a matter of curiosity (and perhaps training, if you meant what I think you meant)

edited November 2013

Supercope said:
    Spyro said:
    tjohn said:

Not to continue to "spin things out of control" but can you elaborate a little on what you meant by using Reciecup's textures? Thanks.

NOTE: I only ask as a matter of curiosity (and perhaps training, if you meant what I think you meant)

Look closely at the male textures. Diffused changed Caucasian textures (with a bit of the African texture everyone uses). Original merchant resource used to be sold on Rendo (I have it), but it's no longer available for sale. Nice work to add in the options, but doesn't change what the base texture actually is. There's only one authentic light skinned black skin available in all of Poserdom, and I'm not really in the mood to put it back out there.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited December 1969

Supercope said:
    Spyro said:
    tjohn said:

Look closely at the male textures. Diffused changed Caucasian textures. Original merchant resource used to be sold on Rendo (I have it), but it's no longer available for sale. Nice work to add in the options, but doesn't change what the base texture actually is. There's only one authentic light skinned black skin available in all of Poserdom, and I'm not really in the mood to put it back out there.

Thank you for the info! Is the authentic skin you mention a merchant resource or a character set?

edited December 1969

Supercope said:

Thank you for the info! Is the authentic skin you mention a merchant resource or a character set?

Doesn't matter at this point.

edited December 1969

Supercope said:

Doesn't matter at this point.

Fair enough.

edited December 1969

No, they definitely said: "We feel like the textures on these distract from the morphs on this. We need you to do your promos untextured please. " Although I would always appreciate a reference to any skin that can pass for a dark South or West African without shader tweaks. Candace and Benjamin weren't doing it for me.

When I do the male version, I will ask specifically if they'll let me at least do a textured main promo, maybe a head or torso shot. The female version currently enjoys a modest success for the few hours it's been out, so there's a good chance even with current promos it will sell to DAZ's standards. It looks as if I need not have been so very concerned. ;) I suppose that shouldn't be such a surprise; the Fantastical Features set had only untextured promos and has performed extremely well.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for your support, and for joining me in my appreciation for human beauty in all of its forms.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,196
    edited December 1969

Thought I would give this a try. It's Genesis2, no morphs, Bree textures, which I tweaked to darken.

Bree_Dark_Small.jpg
    653 x 800 - 81K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited November 2013

Thought I'd do a quick render of one of SickleYield's new African Faces. Working on a fuller scene featuring her...

The face morph is Fatimata. I used Chablis skin. Hair is Caleb by AprilYSH, and I used a light preset by AprilYSH too. Clothing is a mix of V4 Moroccan stuff and the new Barefoot Dancer outfit that comes with G2F Starter Essentials.

fatimata1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 260K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Another: this is Zola, with Marie Dark skin and Paul hair. So far I'm really liking these faces...though it seems to me that someone weird is going on with her left eye...

zola1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 232K
    edited December 1969

Not sure about the cause (who knows...could be user error!) but here's what I'm seeing with the eyes...

1. Zola morph with eyes zeroed
    2. Zola morph with Eyes Side-Side 1.00
    3. G2F base with Eyes Side-Side 1.00

g2f-eye.jpg
    618 x 800 - 268K
    zola-eye2.jpg
    618 x 800 - 269K
    zola-eye1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 267K
    edited December 1969

Looking good Scott.

Due to SickleYield's new morphs, I was forced to buy the V4 for G2F set. Well, "forced" might be a little strong but I do wish there were more darker skins on the V5 UV.Quick test of the new morphs. I'll probably do a higher rez version and upload to the new galleries.

G2F_V4_SY_Test.jpg
    800 x 800 - 483K
    edited November 2013

ZamuelNow said:
    Looking good Scott.

Due to SickleYield's new morphs, I was forced to buy the V4 for G2F set.

You too, eh? ;-) Which texture is that?
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Naeima, Reciecup's first freebie. While I like the style most of her characters are known for, I think her first figure just may be her best. I think there's uploads at both her personal site and ShareCG but it's been a while since I last checked.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    Naeima, Reciecup's first freebie. While I like the style most of her characters are known for, I think her first figure just may be her best. I think there's uploads at both her personal site and ShareCG but it's been a while since I last checked.

All of Reciecup's freebies are on rendercandy.com now. As I remember, the Naeima texture did not come with bump or spec maps. Did you augment with other maps? I keep telling myself to go back and revisit Naeima, but I haven't gotten around to it...
    edited December 1969

Actually, the light is doing most of the heavy lifting. There's only the base textures but it's a high specularity light.