BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►YEAR END EDITION◄◄◄ Theme is ░░░░☼ FROZEN ☼░░░░

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited November 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Sixth DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is "FROZEN"

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before transferring the render to the actual Contest thread for judging.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the June Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the July contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 31st December :- Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D gift certificates will be given to the people whose rendesr are selected as the Honourable mentions, $10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. Jaderail has offered $20 and DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

Sounds like fun! I hope I have time to play with this one.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

This looks like the ideal theme for a special Peter the Polar Bear render. :-)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

01 Bryce F

01_Bryce_F.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 463K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2013

This looks like the ideal theme for a special Peter the Polar Bear render. :-)

I hope he will make an appearance Dave, being Peter fan.

Sounds like fun! I hope I have time to play with this one.

##I hope you have time to play as well.

I am really looking forward to seeing what people make of the theme, it has quite a few different connotations methinkest.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The winner of the June Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the July contest.

:P
    I'll try to come up with something.
    edited December 1969

Well at least I give plenty of notice :coolsmirk:

• STKyddSTKydd Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

Who Goes there ?

Based on Who Goes there by John W. Campbell ( AKA The Thing )
    The thing walks away from it's crashed spaceship in the Antarctic only to be found several hundred years later by Swedes ( They are Norwegian Mac Norwegian )

Ok seems like I have painted myself into a corner with this one, the terrain is made up of 3 layers with 2D planes materials, the top two layers are semi- transparent and then skewed slightly up, the snow bank on top of the hill is a 2D plane also skewed, The point at which all these things intersect is exactly where the Thing is standing, If I put anything behind it, it breaks the illusion of a solid terrain, also if I put anything in front of it, that breaks the illusion of the snow bank, I was going for mood here and not realism, The sky is from Horo and David's HDRI volume skies, There are three light sources. A small amount from the HDRI, the Bryce sun, and a spotlight, Also the FOV is set at 100 so I could get as much of that sky in there as I could.

Thanks for looking
    STKYDD

who_goes_there.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 282K
    edited December 1969

Who Goes there ?

Based on Who Goes there by John W. Campbell ( AKA The Thing )
    The thing walks away from it's crashed spaceship in the Antarctic only to be found several hundred years later by Swedes ( They are Norwegian Mac Norwegian )

Ok seems like I have painted myself into a corner with this one, the terrain is made up of 3 layers with 2D planes materials, the top two layers are semi- transparent and then skewed slightly up, the snow bank on top of the hill is a 2D plane also skewed, The point at which all these things intersect is exactly where the Thing is standing, If I put anything behind it, it breaks the illusion of a solid terrain, also if I put anything in front of it, that breaks the illusion of the snow bank, I was going for mood here and not realism, The sky is from Horo and David's HDRI volume skies, There are three light sources. A small amount from the HDRI, the Bryce sun, and a spotlight, Also the FOV is set at 100 so I could get as much of that sky in there as I could.

Thanks for looking
    STKYDD

I like the light hitting him that way - very nice

edited December 1969

Thanks bigh

edited November 2013

Here's my first try of a frozen landscape.

Title:
    Frozen Landscape

Products used:
    Vignette filter from the Lenses and Filters by David and Horo
    Sunless Illhorn HDRI from Islands 2 by David and Horo

Frozen-06a.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 316K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited November 2013

Beautiful job Horo....but it should be easy for you all the snow you get where you are from you have a lot of examples...LOL It will only snow here when pigs fly...Your render has great texture also...I feel like I could make a snowman

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Trish. Me hates winter. I like snow only if it is far away.

edited November 2013

I like snow, I must be strange.

And I almost forgot, Welcome dragonsbain, a new face joining in is always nice to see.

My little dog used to love the snow as well, I shall miss throwing snowballs for him to lose again this year, he always looked so puzzled cos he couldn't find them

Fred_examining_snow.jpg
    600 x 450 - 163K
    edited December 1969

I did forget......WELCOME dragonsbain!! how rude of me sorry........chohole my dog used to do that to look back at me like "where did it go?" cute picture....I love snow!!!!

edited December 1969

@bigh - good start and you were the first!

@dragonsbain - I love the idea of a monochrome image. New face here - or rather a new name: welcome to the Bryce forums. I'm looking forward to see more by you. Great start!

edited December 1969

@ chohle- Thank you, I love the snow too and so do my dogs

@ Bullit- Thank you

@ Horo - Thanks Horo, same me different name, I used this name when I first bought Bryce several years ago but have not been able to change it, so i'll just stick with it here in the forums, For the most part the image is monochrome but there are some blues and purples closer to the camera.

edited November 2013

It is quite easy to change the name, if you want to Drop a PM to Richard Hasletine or adamr001 giving your email that you sign into the site with and the username you want to use, and they can change it for you.

They have super powers, which I don't :coolsmile:

I miss having a dog to play in the snow with, but just after we lost little old Fred we found ourselves agreeing to take on 2 teenage kittens who needed a good home and had to stay together. We are in rented property and only allowed to have 2 pets, so for now we are dogless, and the cats, now growed up, are not at all keen on playing in the snow.

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

This contest theme is very interesting and some very cool images in already.
    Ive got some icy ideas and cant wait to get cracking on a contribution.

Bigh's snowy plateau and dark crags which have shrugged off the cold seem to be awaiting a dramatic event to break their silence.

Dragonsbain/ SYKYDD you've created a strong mysterious atmosphere and the icy ground looks very convincing - interesting using slightly translucent material because that's what such terrain/snow/ice may have. It also seems to add a "shifting" feeling as if a strong wind is blowing some thin snow across the ground.

Horo's alpine peaks, valleys and lighting just look pretty spot-on. Make me want to pack for skiing trip.

Looking forward to seeing other contribution from Brycers too.

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

@Cholole , lovely to see your dog in the snow - I had a similar looking dog who also enjoyed the snow very much on the rare occasions it fell on the hills nearby. He'd bound around in delight . But Mr Pi, his much larger friend, was afraid of the snow and wouldn't walk on it for lng before making a dash back to the car!
    Here is a pic of Mr Pi in the heavy frost one winter morning - he makes a hansom Ice hound

July-Frosty_Dog.JPG
    600 x 800 - 102K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@bigh: Just looking at your image gives me chills. Somehow I get the feeling that image isn't on the level. :cheese: Nice work.

@dragonsain: Welcome. I like the desolate look without the cold look, cold is not my dear friend. Light and dark make that a very nice image.

@Horo: Another great, cold, job. Let me know the location so I can go somewhere warmer. :lol:

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Another great, cold, job. Let me know the location so I can go somewhere warmer. :lol:

Thank you. I join you to go someplace warmer. When I woke up today, it was white outdoors.
    edited November 2013

HORO: WOW you have snow already....Cool!! enough to ski?? That is so cool email me some photos

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @bigh: Just looking at your image gives me chills. Somehow I get the feeling that image isn't on the level. :cheese: Nice work.

@dragonsain: Welcome. I like the desolate look without the cold look, cold is not my dear friend. Light and dark make that a very nice image.

thank you :cheese:

edited December 1969

HORO: WOW you have snow already....Cool!! enough to ski?? That is so cool email me some photos

Luckily, it melted away meanwhile. No, not yet enough for skying "upstairs". You've still got to go to 3500 m or above.
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

All this talk of snow gives me chills. Thank goodness our snows are far and few in between. But it might as well snow since when winter fully kicks in we'll get strong, cold, north winds which cut right through you.

edited December 1969

BF 2

01_Bryce_F_2.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 480K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited November 2013

For those that want that snow on trees effect here is a little tutorial Bryce 7.1 Pro - Snow on trees effect - by David Brinnen

Snow_on_trees_scene1.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 598K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

bigh- looks cool, is that a Dragon ?

David- that's awesome, off to watch the tut now

edited December 1969

bigh- looks cool, is that a Dragon ?

thank you - yes it is .

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited November 2013

Thank you. OK here's another one using the same scene and technique. But with AA radius of 2 and some volumetric snow flakes (well spots) thrown in for good measure.

Snow_on_trees_scene2.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 603K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on