Photos by Tako

Tako YakidaTako Yakida Posts: 548
edited May 2012 in Art Studio

Welcome to my photo thread. Today will probably be the last images I upload with my Olympus PEN as my Nikon will be arriving soon. :D

So here they are...

Post edited by Tako Yakida on

Comments

• Tako YakidaTako Yakida Posts: 548
    edited December 1969

And a rabbit....

wild_rabbit.jpg
    400 x 600 - 91K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Grats on the new Nikon! Which model did you go for?

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Grats on the new Nikon! Which model did you go for?

Thanks!

I ended up getting a refurbished D5100 with a 40mm 2.8 maco lens that also shoots non-macro for a total of about 770$.

Of course, looking into the future now, it seems upgrading to a full frame would be cheaper with canon, but the price difference between a Nikon D700 and Canon EOS 5D Mark II is not much. It's the megapixel difference that is what is bugging me I guess.

It sucks that no matter how much research I do on something, I always learn more after the fact.

No matter, I might find the d5100 is adequate without needing to upgrade. We'll see.

edited May 2012

Nice choice. I've seen it being better than mine. lol

I've heard that higher pixels don't really mean all that much; that a lot of cameras nowadays have way more than necessary for good shots. For instance, take a look at this chart:
    http://www.zephotostudio.com/how-many-megapixels-do-i-need-for-certain-print-sizes-

According to that, 10MP is very adequate to print 11"x14" at best quality. I've read that some people think 12 is a good enough number.

I plan on sticking with my T2i for a long time and learning the ins and outs with it, and while a full frame would be nice to have, I'm no pro. I've even seen people take some outstanding shots using what I used to use, the Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd, that just made me go, 'wait? what? HOW?!'. Well, with the T2i, I plan on actually learning how.

The Fuji also had a static lens, so that was a major reason I upgraded.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Tako
    Congratulations on the new camera, and Vaskania is right, so don't get sucked into the megapixel race - it's a fools game!

@Vaskania
    Same here, no intention of parting with this camera any time soon, in fact never. Until they bring out some radical new sensor technology, I think the sweet-spot has already been reached, and I feel we already have it with 18 megapixel on APS-C.

edited May 2012

pumeco said:
    @Tako
    Congratulations on the new camera, and Vaskania is right, so don't get sucked into the megapixel race - it's a fools game!

Thanks for the support. :)

Yeah, maybe the D5100 will be just fine. I'd like to be able to sell prints, but it appears I will need to work out a lot of other things in addition to the camera to be able to sell them in a practical manner.

edited December 1969

The D5100 should be fine, I've had three Nikon DSLR's (D40, D60, D90), and it might surprise you to know that out of the three, the D40 was by far my favourite even though it was by far the cheapest. Price and model position means nothing with cameras in real terms.

Don't worry about the camera.

Selling prints, I'm no expert but I think that's going to be more a of a challenge than you had deciding on the camera, put it that way! I've never tried to sell a print or any form of art, but if did, I think I'd research into what is the most popular online store for prints, learn my way around it, and stick to it. At least until I learned more about which sites deal more specifically in the sort of stuff I wanted to sell.

edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    The D5100 should be fine, I've had three Nikon DSLR's (D40, D60, D90), and it might surprise you to know that out of the three, the D40 was by far my favourite even though it was by far the cheapest. Price and model position means nothing with cameras in real terms.

Don't worry about the camera.

Selling prints, I'm no expert but I think that's going to be more a of a challenge than you had deciding on the camera, put it that way! I've never tried to sell a print or any form of art, but if did, I think I'd research into what is the most popular online store for prints, learn my way around it, and stick to it. At least until I learned more about which sites deal more specifically in the sort of stuff I wanted to sell.

Good to know on the camera. Thanks!

For selling prints, I think I would have more luck selling at art shows or conventions with a similar theme to my work. Of course, I may just move to Oregon since they don't have sales tax there apparently. (I hate the paperwork.) Of course, they have state income tax which Florida does not, so I suppose I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

But theoretically, if it was profitable enough, I would be willing to get a truck and tent, racks, the whole shabang if it meant I could quit my day job. I'm sure I would need to do a lot of shows even if it were profitable though.

In practical terms, even getting started would require quite an investment so I'm probably better off sticking to selling 3D content. *cries*

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

Nice photos! Love the butterfly pic in particular.

edited December 1969

Nice photos! Love the butterfly pic in particular.

I'm glad they were enjoyable for you! :-D

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Love all these. I think the Wabbit would be great for Icanhascheezeburger. I have a couple of great captions in mind. I like cute, some people might do stuff not so cute, so never mind that idea.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Love all these. I think the Wabbit would be great for Icanhascheezeburger. I have a couple of great captions in mind. I like cute, some people might do stuff not so cute, so never mind that idea.

Thank you Mr. J. :)

Speaking of cheeseburgers, I could go for one right about now. Too bad I seem to be on an indefinite hunger strike. Camera lens first, then eat. lol

edited December 1969

Too bad I seem to be on an indefinite hunger strike. Camera lens first, then eat. lol

I feel your pain, believe me.
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    Too bad I seem to be on an indefinite hunger strike. Camera lens first, then eat. lol

I feel your pain, believe me.

I bet. lol

edited May 2012

Here are my first upload-worthy shots with my new nikon. Taken in the yard after a nice rain.

Just_hanging_800.jpg
    530 x 800 - 65K
    Flower_cluster_3_800.jpg
    800 x 476 - 129K
    Flower_cluster_2_800.jpg
    800 x 530 - 104K
    edited May 2012

...and another with my new Nikon.

Wet_leaf_800.jpg
    800 x 530 - 188K
    edited December 1969

DUDE!!! Please tell me I can have that in 1920x1080. I would love that as a Wallpaper.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    DUDE!!! Please tell me I can have that in 1920x1080. I would love that as a Wallpaper.

Sure, but the aspect ratio doesn't match so it may look a bit distorted at 1920x1080. You can download my wallpaper version at http://webzoom.freewebs.com/takoyakida/freebies/wet-leaf-wallpaper.jpg

edited May 2012

Jaderail said:

Sure, but the aspect ratio doesn't match so it may look a bit distorted at 1920x1080. You can download my wallpaper version at http://webzoom.freewebs.com/takoyakida/freebies/wet-leaf-wallpaper.jpg
    Thank you SO MUCH!! I'll see if I can get it if I run it through PS. I might need to crop it a little, That does not matter. THIS IS ART!!! You have a great EYE for this stuff. I hope to "all get out/Powers that be" you are paid for this talent, if not now, then I so hope you are discovered VERY soon.
    Edit: I just set it to Win 7 Defaults and it looks GREAT!! Thank You again.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

That leaf sir.. is effing awesome. Nice DOF, and managed to get some rough bokeh circles towards the lower left of the leaf.

edited December 1969

And so begins Tako's journey with his new Nikon.
    Actually, I think it looks a bit Fujifilm with those colours!

edited May 2012

@Jaderail: Thank you for the encouragement. I think the main thing holding me back is my allergy to people, since it becomes hard to get discovered when I hide in my cave all day. I'm glad the wallpaper worked out! :-)

@Vaskania: Glad you like it. I had a little help from my friend PS but the rain did make for a good opportunity to photograph something more interesting than normal. :)

@pumeco: Now if only I could get myself to start traveling around the state to increase the variety of subject matter. ;-)

edited December 1969

With nothing else to do tonight, I had a photo shoot with the cat.

cat2_800.jpg
    800 x 530 - 135K
    edited December 1969

cat4_800.jpg
    533 x 800 - 194K
  • kylumikylumi Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

The cat!!!!.........................what terrific photographs, well done my friend, most excellent. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

@pumeco: Now if only I could get myself to start traveling around the state to increase the variety of subject matter. ;-)

Heheh, well if only I could advance beyond the bedroom and garden that would be something.
    I was in pretty much the same situation as you the other day, bored senseless!

I found myself just grabbing the camera and snapping for the sake of it, walking around in circles generally teasing the dog and annoying my sister who was hoping to sunbathe in peace. Ended up with a pic of the garden and the dog sat on my sisters knee, that's it. Of course I'd much rather be photographing some beautiful women in sensual poses.

Still, just as well I can't afford the fees, otherwise I'd probably just freeze!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

I like your cat pictures. Maybe if you can take enough of them you can make cat textures. ;-)

edited May 2012

pumeco said:
    Heheh, well if only I could advance beyond the bedroom and garden that would be something.
    I was in pretty much the same situation as you the other day, bored senseless!

I found myself just grabbing the camera and snapping for the sake of it, walking around in circles generally teasing the dog and annoying my sister who was hoping to sunbathe in peace. Ended up with a pic of the garden and the dog sat on my sisters knee, that's it. Of course I'd much rather be photographing some beautiful women in sensual poses.

Still, just as well I can't afford the fees, otherwise I'd probably just freeze!

Maybe Playboy would hire you. :P

I'd apply but I would probably faint too much to get hired. I'm sensitive like that. :(

I like your cat pictures. Maybe if you can take enough of them you can make cat textures. ;-)

Thanks Miss B. :)

I thought about doing cat textures, I suppose I could try but I don't know what the market is like for them. Plus I have no idea how to get the photos into properly-sized textures that wrap around the figure.

edited December 1969

kylumi said:
    The cat!!!!.........................what terrific photographs, well done my friend, most excellent. :coolsmile:

Thanks buddy. :)

edited December 1969

Those cat photos are great. I can already see a difference between your previous cam and the Nikon. Your cat's green eyes provide some really good contrast in the 'portrait' shot.