Recommendations for NVidia Graphics card...?

Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I think I'm going to need a new graphics card for my PC - was getting weird green banded lines and looking at the same thing on YouTube I think it's the graphics card. I've looked on the NVidia site but there are so many to choose from! Does anyone have any good personal recommendations. I'm on Windows XP, 32 bit.

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

will the new cards even work in your pc - sounds pretty old .
    I would not spend a lot on one - if you find one that works with your puter .

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    The nVidia GeForce GTX 460 and 560 series are pretty good, at okay prices. You didn't specify how much you're looking to spend, or the details of your hardware, so I'm not sure what range of card you're looking for. They have cards for almost any budget, but I probably wouldn't go under the 460's $150 price point.

I picked up a 460 for playing Diablo III in my living room, and have been very happy with it. That said, if you're going to be using Reality with the GPU accelerated rendering, you'll want to spend a good bit more, and will be looking at an entirely different range of cards.

Sounds like you should upgrade your PC, though, also...

-- Morgan

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited July 2012

Also, not sure how much you know about graphics cards and such, but you need to look inside and see if it is PCI, PCI Express, AGP, etc. (the slot it fits in)

Post edited by jmper on
  • Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

After literally hours of research and advice from Nvidia on-line support I think I've found the most suitable card. I haven't much choice because my computer doesn't have a very high power supply (no, I'm not going to change that, probably wouldn't be a good idea in my system.). I've checked out the specs thoroughly and it was recommended by Nvidia for my current system, so I hope it'll be okay...will be very p****d if it isn't!

edited December 1969

Eva1 said:
    After literally hours of research and advice from Nvidia on-line support I think I've found the most suitable card. I haven't much choice because my computer doesn't have a very high power supply (no, I'm not going to change that, probably wouldn't be a good idea in my system.). I've checked out the specs thoroughly and it was recommended by Nvidia for my current system, so I hope it'll be okay...will be very p****d if it isn't!

If you are looking at it from a purely DAZ Studio view, then remember that all it powers is your viewport. Once you click render, or whatever it is called in Studio, your CPU (processor) takes over.

edited July 2012

Another quick way to find a reasonable card is look up the specs of your old one paying attention to:
    Power
    Slot size
    On board processor; number and speed
    RAM

If you can keep the Slot Size exactly the same and power about the same then try for more ram and processor speed and see the cost difference. *of course this only helps when dealing with a NON-integrated graphics card.

But it is good that Nividia could help you out.

Post edited by jmper on