Is the Macaw supposed to load like this?

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

If this is how it loads for ya'll how do I rid that deformity at the body?

Comments

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Might want to tell everyone which program you're using, though judging by your sig, I assume it's DS3?

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Might want to tell everyone which program you're using, though judging by your sig, I assume it's DS3?

Using DS4.6 ... I prefer DS3, but I need the newer dynamics dress, so am stuck using DS4.6.

• ScraverXScraverX Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

I don't have that item so I can't check if it does the same for me.
    I have seen that problem before, just nor with DAZ.

A number of vertices appear to have become disassociated with the mesh.
    How to fix it, sorry I can't answer that either.

• RodrakRodrak Posts: 81
    edited December 1969

I don't have this product but I believe that in similar situations it was suggested that opening the problematic figure in DS3, saving it as daz scene, then reopening it in DS4.6 sometimes fixes the problem. You can then save the figure in DS4 for later use.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

I bought Noggins Macaw and Cockatoo last year during the PA sale and returned it because both were behaving like this in DS 4.5.0.114, which was the current version at the time. I explained the problem in my refund request and included pictures and added they both work fine in DS 4.0.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

I just tried the saving as a DAZ scene in DS 3 ,and then opening DS4. whatever and the Noggins Macaw worked no problem.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited November 2013

It's the SubDivision setting, many of the older items need the Catmull-Clark (Legacy) version. With the figure selected do this...

Capture-004.png
    501 x 374 - 20K
    Capture-003.png
    506 x 360 - 19K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, guys. I'll try that.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    It's the SubDivision setting, many of the older items need the Catmull-Clark (Legacy) version. With the figure selected do this...

Problem with this Jaderail, is when you click on the Noggins macaw and go to the Parameter tab under mesh resolution the only thing that show up is base, none of the other choices .....I think it's cause it's an older item .......and doesn't have the options the newer stuff has.

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    Jaderail said:

Problem with this Jaderail, is when you click on the Noggins macaw and go to the Parameter tab under mesh resolution the only thing that show up is base, none of the other choices .....I think it's cause it's an older item .......and doesn't have the options the newer stuff has.If you set Parameters to Show hidden Properties it will show this on all meshes...

Capture-003.png
    534 x 465 - 31K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

My settings don't look like this ...

And I opened and saven it in DS3, looks fine, but upon re-open attempt in DS4.6, it gives me an error message saying something is missing.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited November 2013

Let me go play and see what I did. Believe it or not, it's a VERY easy fix- you just move something like "hip"
    EDIT: And the feathers are pretty flat so I increased both positive and negative settings in bump and displacement.

macaw3.jpg
    900 x 825 - 228K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Yep, just open up the submenus in Parameters and it's the neck1, neck2, etc. Click on the part of the bird you need to fix and it should highlight over in Parameters, then just slide the translations. The neck stuff IS under Hip.

edited December 1969

Jaderail- I wondered about that. How do you know when to use the legacy one? When it does that distortion I assume?

And another question- I've never changed the subdivision level, it's always been on 1. What does that sucker do?

edited November 2013

Novica said:
    Jaderail- I wondered about that. How do you know when to use the legacy one? When it does that distortion I assume?

And another question- I've never changed the subdivision level, it's always been on 1. What does that sucker do?

Your work around is another that works. The Legacy setting is a known fix for Mesh distortion in older products. And I don't play with SubD in DS but it Will smooth Items as the SubD goes up.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thank you :)
    I'm good at work arounds- because I don't know what I''m doing. My term for work-around is "piddlin' " I'm piddlin' with it. It's a Southern thing, right?

edited December 1969

I do lots of Piddling, yep.

edited December 1969

Hmmm ... I must not be good at piddling, lol.

edited December 1969

And I opened and saven it in DS3, looks fine, but upon re-open attempt in DS4.6, it gives me an error message saying something is missing.

Probably you use separate content libraries for DS3 and DS4. Saving a scene in DS3 most likely created a folder in "data" with the geometry. Look in your DS3 library, and either copy "data\3_0\
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Novica said:

Your work around is another that works. The Legacy setting is a known fix for Mesh distortion in older products. And I don't play with SubD in DS but it Will smooth Items as the SubD goes up.

But only if SubD is applied, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case with the Macaw when it loads.

edited December 1969

Rodrak said:

Probably you use separate content libraries for DS3 and DS4. Saving a scene in DS3 most likely created a folder in "data" with the geometry. Look in your DS3 library, and either copy "data\3_0\

I see you speak Greek ... :gulp:

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Rodrak said:

Is your content folder from DS3 listed in DS4?

edited December 1969

Rodrak said:

Is your content folder from DS3 listed in DS4?

I'm assuming so, since I put all of my 3D content in the same folder ...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Do you save scenes to that same folder?

edited December 1969

Do you save scenes to that same folder?

Scenes get saved in the client folders or on the desktop, if I am too lazy to pull up their file, lol.

I've opened other DS3 scenes in DS4.6 with no problem. Just not with this dang bird. I NEED to solve this today, and none of the mentioned work arounds are either working or understandable to me.

edited December 1969

Scenes get saved in the client folders or on the desktop, if I am too lazy to pull up their file, lol.

I've opened other DS3 scenes in DS4.6 with no problem. Just not with this dang bird. I NEED to solve this today, and none of the mentioned work arounds are either working or understandable to me.

Maybe try this:
    - in DS3 go to Edit->Preferences->Directories and in the Content Type selector choose "DAZ Studio Formats (Native)" and write down the path(s) listed there, then switch to "Poser Formats (Import)" and again write down the paths.
    - switch to DS4, go to Edit->Preferences->Content Library, select "Content Library Manager", then in "Content Sets" click and expand "DAZ Studio Formats". Check if the path from DS3 is here. If it's not, click Add button to add it to the existing one. Repeat the same for "Poser Formats".
    If done properly it should allow you to open the scene from DS3 without missing files. BTW: Usually to check which files are missing after an attempt to open a scene in DS4, go to Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File. Then scroll down to the very end and the missing files should be listed there.

Now, if you manage to open the scene and macaw is displayed properly, you'd want to save the figure for later use... I'm not quite sure which is the "right" way to save an ancient poser figure in DS4.6. One way is to select the figure in the scene tab, use Edit->Figure->Rigging->Convert Figure to Weight Mapping->TriAx Weight Mapping then use File->Save As->Support Asset->Figure/Prop Assets. Then put "Macaw" or something like that as product name and item name, noggin as author and it should be enough.

After doing all this, you may want to remove the mapping of DS3 content library from DS4 to avoid problems with duplicate products. Again I'm not sure if it's required or needed, I use only one content library.

edited December 1969

That seems like a lot of work ... lol.

I'll do that if I really, really have to, but until then, I may have figured out a temporary fix, enough to get this book cover out, anyway.

I tried exporting the figure as a wavefront object in DS3, then imported the 'prop' in DS4.6, and it worked fine. Only catch, I'll have to do this with every pose and texture offered that I need, and custom posing is out unless I can guestimate detail positioning before export, since the rest of my scene is already in DS4.6 and can't re-open in DS3.

But ... this will get this book cover done.

Then I can mess with meshes and files and whatnot later, when I have that mysterious thing called 'extra time' ... lol. So all of this help will be preserved here until then.

Thanks guys :D

edited December 1969

That seems like a lot of work ... lol.

I'll do that if I really, really have to, but until then, I may have figured out a temporary fix, enough to get this book cover out, anyway.

I tried exporting the figure as a wavefront object in DS3, then imported the 'prop' in DS4.6, and it worked fine. Only catch, I'll have to do this with every pose and texture offered that I need, and custom posing is out unless I can guestimate detail positioning before export, since the rest of my scene is already in DS4.6 and can't re-open in DS3.

But ... this will get this book cover done.

Then I can mess with meshes and files and whatnot later, when I have that mysterious thing called 'extra time' ... lol. So all of this help will be preserved here until then.

Thanks guys :D

I agree that it's a lot of tinkering for a very old product... And it should be fixed by the PA or Daz. But I'm not sure if the PA is still "active" or if Daz bothers with fixing non-DO products at all (or even is allowed to). So a bit of work can "salvage" otherwise useless product.
  • PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

I've loaded the Cockatoo and it has some similar problems. I found it's the bend on tail 1 causing this problems in the Cockatoo - setting tail 1 bend to 0 and cockatoo looks fine. Maybe this works on the Parrot too?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited November 2013

Ive had the same problem with the Macaw since DS4. I've just launched the program and loaded the macaw and changed the subdivision algorythem to Catmull-Clark, but it doesn't fix anything. Moving any part of the figure doesn't fix anything either.

ETA: Same with the cockatiel, and same after changing Catmull-Clark to the default.

This doesn't affect the macaw with the wings spread, btw, only the folded version.

Post edited by JOdel on