OT RIP Ernest Borgnine

LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
edited December 1969 in The Commons

One of the great actors in Hollywood History, Ernest Borgnine will be greatly missed

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689
    edited December 1969

He was in a lot of movies. I see he was in the original The Poseidon Adventure movie (1972)

He also did the voice of old Mermaid man in Sponge Bob. Wikipedia said that he enjoyed that.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

McHale's Navy was one of the best comedies

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    McHale's Navy was one of the best comedies

It was one of those we most remember him by here.
    Loved him as an actor. ~ Another great stepping into the sunset. : (

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Damn it -- no more Mermaid-Man, and it's only a matter of time until we lose Barnacle Boy, too.

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Sad news indeed, I remember him best in, Ice Station Zebra, Escape from New York and of course Airwolf, very sad.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I remember him from Marty and From Here to Eternity. I also spent many happy hours watching McHale's Navy.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Borgnine serves as a good reminder that actors don't have to be handsome with high cheekbones and great abs. He played a wide variety of roles during his long career. Something to think about, perhaps, as we do renders and choose how to cast M4/M5/Genesis Male into the characters we want.

Alas, it is still harder for more plain-looking -- and certainly older -- actresses to get interesting character roles than it is for the men.

• edited July 2012

Ostadan said:
    Borgnine serves as a good reminder that actors don't have to be handsome with high cheekbones and great abs. He played a wide variety of roles during his long career. Something to think about, perhaps, as we do renders and choose how to cast M4/M5/Genesis Male into the characters we want.

Alas, it is still harder for more plain-looking -- and certainly older -- actresses to get interesting character roles than it is for the men.

It is certainly easier for ugly men to get acting roles. I prefer acting talent to looks, but I'm obviously a minority. But then some men who got famous on their looks make me say wtf -- Stallone for one.

Edit: current actors, Ryan Gosling.

Post edited by nieman151_516f901a4a on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358
    edited December 1969

He will be missed. Condolences to his family.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    I remember him from Marty and From Here to Eternity. I also spent many happy hours watching McHale's Navy.

I agree, Marty was my favorite of his movies. A truly talented individual.
  • ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited July 2012

He was one of my favorite actors, he will be missed. I remember a few years ago I was watching the final season of E.R. and I got a bit of a shock seeing Ernest Borgnine in a role in the episode, still acting at 92! As it turns out, his last movie is coming out this year.

Coldrake

Post edited by Coldrake on