Out Of Memory Problems with Bryce7Pro.1

franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Lately I've been having a few problems with bryce yelling at me about 'Out of Memory' problems. In another thread I saw that:

Horo said:
If your computer sports 4 or more GB of memory, you can make Bryce large address aware (LAA) and thus give Bryce around 3.5 GB.

I have an Intel Core 2Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz 2.39GHz
with 8GB of RAM
and it's a 64 bit Operating system...

My questions are:
1) can I use this Large Address Aware capability of Bryce7Pro's?
2) And if I can - how do I do that?
3) And lastly does it make a difference if I have the latest version of Bryce or not?

(I have 7.1.0.74 although I've downloaded the later version - but I've been putting off installing the newer version because of all the hastle of saving the Presets first... sigh.)

4) if I can do it with my current version would I have to do it all over again if I eventually do install the latest Bryce?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Some explanations here

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

I am sure someone else will be along in a bit to help you more, I am not very techy minded I am afraid.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,112
    edited December 1969

I've tested from Bryce 4 up to now all versions and LAA works a treat. Run LAA and click on Add to add any 32-bit program you wish to be large address aware. Here's a picture if you use Mode > Advanced. If you have added Bryce, select it at left, then click on WithSelected toggle the flag. This setting is permanent until you change it back.

laa.gif
    602 x 332 - 17K
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Some explanations here

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

I am sure someone else will be along in a bit to help you more, I am not very techy minded I am afraid.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to try and get my husband to take a look at it sometime soon.
    (I'm not too techy minded either)

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I've tested from Bryce 4 up to now all versions and LAA works a treat. Run LAA and click on Add to add any 32-bit program you wish to be large address aware. Here's a picture if you use Mode > Advanced. If you have added Bryce, select it at left, then click on WithSelected toggle the flag. This setting is permanent until you change it back.

Oh thanks Horo, that looks useful.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Hi franontheedge. I have exactly the same processor but only 4 gig of ram and use LAA with no problems.
    Bryce crashes less often with LAA and never suffers out of memory problems.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge: Also keep in mind that deleting objects, scenes, images, and the like does not restore the memory that was used for these things. To clean out memory you need to restart Bryce.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @franontheedge: Also keep in mind that deleting objects, scenes, images, and the like does not restore the memory that was used for these things. To clean out memory you need to restart Bryce.

Funny thing is, I didn't just restart Bryce, or the PC - I did a hard restart, in that I turned the PC off, waited a few seconds and then started it up again, and when I then reopened Bryce and the scene - I could open the file and once I'd positioned the item I was trying to move in the scene before the Out Of Memory problem I could also save the file with no problem.

(the previous attempt at saving it was when I had the out of memory warning, and the saved file was corrupt or empty)

I had not deleted a model, I'd just changed the texture on part of it to blend transparency, so as to allow transparency to show.
    The fact that it had memory problems just from that seemed to me to show that things are hovering dangerously on the brink. It's not even a really big scene, it might have a few largish textures... (innocent expression) but that's it.

edited December 1969

Horo,
    What does 'Toggle the flag' mean?

edited December 1969

Large textures can be a culprit, don't forget that Bryce doesn't use compressed textures (jpg etc) it uncompresses them back up to the same size as a TIFF of BMP file would be. So texture sizes can really add up.

so your reused stonewall jpg,(for example) which is a 3.7mb jpg will be seen by Bryce as 13.7mb or thereabouts.

BTW, used that one on my latest render. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Large textures can be a culprit, don't forget that Bryce doesn't use compressed textures (jpg etc) it uncompresses them back up to the same size as a TIFF of BMP file would be. So texture sizes can really add up.

so your reused stonewall jpg,(for example) which is a 3.7mb jpg will be seen by Bryce as 13.7mb or thereabouts.

BTW, used that one on my latest render. :coolsmile:

Oh I wish I could see that.
    Is it on Rendo's gallery? The Daz Galleries are a bit weird aren't they? I mean we can't just post a render here, it has to win something to be included, doesn't it?

I've stopped bothering trying to upload images to galleries here after I found that out.

edited November 2013

Daz actually doesn't have any Galleries on this new version of the site (yet) but they should be arriving sometime in the not too distant future.

I posted the render here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26012/P1260/#463251 In several different versions. I know Chris thinks I am a heretic anyway, so I have no qualms about using Postwork, as well as imported stuff :coolsmile:

I am glad he never ventures down this end of Wales, a few mountains between me and his comfy chair.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Daz actually doesn't have any Galleries on this new version of the site (yet) but they should be arriving sometime in the not too distant future.

I posted the render here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26012/P1260/#463251 In several different versions. I know Chris thinks I am a heretic anyway, so I have no qualms about using Postwork, as well as imported stuff :coolsmile:

I am glad he never ventures down this end of Wales, a few mountains between me and his comfy chair.

ROFL!

Shhh! he might hear you!

Nice render, I particularly like the effect of the warm filter - the render top right.
    Pity displacement doen't work too well in Bryce.

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure I took that photo in Caerleon, it was the wall of an old pub I think. Odd to think that you're in Wales using a photo of a Welsh wall...

Which end of Wales are you in?

edited November 2013

I am in South wales, just slightly South of the Brecon Beacons National park. About a mile or so South of it is all. We are almost on the border between what used to be Glamorgan and Breconshire (now called Merthyr and Powys) This area is refferred to as the South Wales Valleys, even though we live at 1200ft. lol

Chris of course is in the Snowdonia National Park area, up the other end, although he did invite me to visit, last time Rosie went to see him.

edited November 2013

chohole said:
    I am in South wales, just slightly South of the Brecon Beacons National park. About a mile or so South of it is all. We are almost on the border between what used to be Glamorgan and Breconshire (now called Merthyr and Powys)

Chris of course is in the Snowdonia National Park area, up the other end, although he did invite me to visit, last time Rosie went to see him.

Well that's not far, you could pop over to Caerleon and see if you can match your render with the right wall... rofl!
    Actually, joking aside, there were quite a few really nice textures in Caerleon - lots of old Welsh walls.

And there's the Fwrwm, with loads of wood sculptures...

I loved it there. Loved almost every single second of it.

Post edited by franontheedge on
    edited December 1969

Yes we had very many happy holidays in Wales, is why we decided it was a good place to move to when we retired. Any where as long as it was away from the London area, but Wales is beautiful, if a bit wet and windy at times, and we get proper winters here, with snow every year, not just the bad years when everyone gets it.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes we had very many happy holidays in Wales, is why we decided it was a good place to move to when we retired. Any where as long as it was away from the London area, but Wales is beautiful, if a bit wet and windy at times, and we get proper winters here, with snow every year, not just the bad years when everyone gets it.

Yes, I keep telling my auntie Gwyneth to stop sending us all her bad weather over here to Essex.

Does Wales cope better with snowy weather than England does?

Sweden that always expects snow and bad weather copes without any problem - because they're used to it - and thus prepared for it, where here in England - we aren't.

edited November 2013

Yes they cope pretty well up here we have found. A lot of people do choose to run 4x4 vehicles, as they are better in the snow, but we have had no real problems with our old Toyota in the 5 years we have been here. They are pretty proactive at getting the roads gritted. We moved here in January, and had snow about a fortnight after we settled in, was great fun. Strangely enough, considering out power is on overhead lines coming from pylons across the mountains, we have had less power cuts than we got when we living down in Surrey and Kent.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes they cope pretty well up here we have found. A lot of people do choose to run 4x4 vehicles, as they are better in the snow, but we have had no real problems with our old Toyota in the 5 years we have been here. They are pretty proactive at getting the roads gritted. We moved here in January, and had snow about a fortnight after we settled in, was great fun. Strangely enough, considering out power is on overhead lines coming from pylons across the mountains, we have had less power cuts than we got when we living down in Surrey and Kent.

There you are, it just goes to show. I thought they would.