New Users Contest *October 2013* ►►►ENTRIES ONLY THREAD◄◄◄

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited November 2013 in New User Contests and Events

New User's Contest - October

Sponsored by DAZ 3D and ARTCollaborations

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Shaders"

This combined contest is designed to help you when re-texturing an item, using either shaders or jpg textures

Shaders and textures are 2 different ways of creating a new look for your Clothing and/or Props and each has it's uses. As this is a complicated subject we have decided to run the Contest over 2 months, concentrating on Shaders during the first month and textures during the second.

Intent: A New Look to an older product.

So for October we are going to concentrate on using shaders Next month we will carry on with the same topic, but use textures on templates.

Which product? The choice is yours, of course, but we do recommend that as a first try you use a product that is infinitely variable in how it can be made to look and also easy to work with.

I will be checking in on the WIP THREAD as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread Contest Rules
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP THREAD. People will be popping in to the WIP THREAD to give you some critique and advice on your entry and help along the way. Please keep all comments on entries etc to the WIP THREAD as well because comments or requests for help/feedback/advice will be removed from the contest thread and merged into the WIP THREAD. This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

We would like to thank ARTCollaborations who have graciously decided to sponsor this month’s contest They will be awarding a special prize to the winners of this month’s contest. To view some of ARTCollaborations items please see their store front here ARTCollaborations Store
Closing Date: October 31st 2013

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

"Crom"

...He dwells on a great mountain. What use to call on him? Little he cares if men live or die. Better to be silent than to call his attention to you; he will send you dooms, not fortune! He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?

Rendered in DAZStudio 4.6. No postwork. Different metal shaders on the different parts of the sword.

Krom4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 261K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited October 2013

Title: Colo Shaded

DAZ 4.6 Beta

No postwork. Custom shader applied to Colo.

ONUC_26.jpg
    800 x 640 - 247K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

My entry:

Custom shaders on the Franky Outfit. No textures or maps on it. Just played with surface settings. In the render I used 2 Uber Area lights and a spot light. Postwork in Adobe PSE 11 for the fog and the mood.

1.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 171K
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

shaders used on everything with the exceptions of the jeans, the belt on the skirt, the skins and hair of the figures and the ground.

Love knows no Boundaries

loveknowsnobundariespw.jpg
    800 x 720 - 240K
  • Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Here's my entry creatively titled "Just a Girl Holding a Mask Sitting by Some Oranges"
    Rendered in Daz Studio 4.6, no postwork, my shaders used on the shirt, mask, skirt, table cloth, bowl, sofa and the oranges.

OctoberContestFinal.jpg
    800 x 800 - 382K
  • firefly43firefly43 Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

The outfit and arm bracelet are the custom preset shaders made by me.
    Title: Seeking Answers
    All Done in Daz 4.6

Lost3.jpg
    750 x 673 - 455K
    Post edited by firefly43 on
    edited December 1969

Title: Kismet2012 Entry #2

Program: DAZ 4.6

No postwork. Shaders applied to DAZ Horse 2, Griffin Wings for DAZ Horse 2 and primitive cylinder I used as the base.

ONUC_TWO_45.jpg
    800 x 640 - 265K
  • JesterVIIJesterVII Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

Title: Cable Enlisted
    Program: Daz 4.6
    Custom Shader Used on: Supper Suit
    Postwork: None…Notta

Cable2.0_.jpg
    1894 x 1159 - 702K
  • spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited October 2013

Vampire Warrior

Just a basic blue shader on the Body suit with a deeper blue shader on the Corset,Bracers and Boots.

vampireWarrior1.jpg
    397 x 772 - 221K
    Post edited by spmwc on
  • carioca91carioca91 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here is the first one I did:

Fresh Catch:

OSG_Small_bright.jpg
    800 x 539 - 249K
  • carioca91carioca91 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And My second entry

Survivor Pickup:

Shader2Entry.jpg
    580 x 800 - 220K
  • White RabbitWhite Rabbit Posts: 231
    edited October 2013

My First Entry!

"Cold Steel Against Warm Flesh"

Can you Imagine how it would be if you had to be carried in a robot's unfeeling arms?
    Its ice-cold, non-human, metallic body against your soft, delicate skin?
    Totally vulnerable you are, with the sound of servos and motors humming driving it forward.
    Its heavy steel body thumping forward leaving solid imprints in the Martian dust,
    You feel the vibrations of all the mechanical mayhem going on inside it, but there is no heart!!

Software Used:
    DAZ Pro 4.6
    Bryce Pro 7.1

Mark_Trappett_Sep_2013_02_Rob_Hand_Fix-002.jpg
    800 x 600 - 136K
    Post edited by White Rabbit on
    edited October 2013

Submission 2

1970's Robot Sci-Fi Icon

Software Used:

DAZ Studio 4.6

No after work,

Star_Wars-R2D2_Metalize_Shaders_Mark_Trappett.jpg
    600 x 800 - 167K
    Post edited by White Rabbit on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

CONTEST NOW CLOSED

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Winners are

Just a Girl Holding a Mask Sitting by Some Oranges by mcjam24
    Love Knows No Boundaries by Carla O
    Crom by TobiasG

Congratulations to the winner and a job well done to everyone.

Will the winner please contact me by PM and give me your email address associated with your DAZ account and a link to the product from ARTCollaboration store so the prizes can be added to your account.

edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners! Excellent work! :-)

edited December 1969

*blinks* oohh thank you :) and of course big grats to the other winners too :)

• Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Crazy cool.....congrats Carola O and TobiasG you guys had some great stuff going on

edited December 1969

Congrats to you all, was a fun contest.

Now you can all come and play in the second installment, which is up and waiting for you.

edited December 1969

Congratulation to the winners. Well deserved.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited December 1969

Congrats, it has been fun watching your work come alive!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

All the winners have PM'd me and their requests are off to DAZ. Keep a eye on your account over the next few days

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners, and to all the contestants for your fine work! Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with this month! :)

• firefly43firefly43 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Congratulation guys!! Great work those were excellent renders!

edited December 1969

Thank you all, and thanks for the help! :)

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    All the winners have PM'd me and their requests are off to DAZ. Keep a eye on your account over the next few days

Sorry for asking this, but I was wondering. The storecredit has arrived (a couple of days ago), but not the product. I'm mostly just wondering if it was the same for the others or if something has gone awry

*hugs*

edited December 1969

Same here. The credit is there (Thanks!), the product not.

edited December 1969

Frank did ask that you give it a few days. Things have been a bit hectic this month for those at DAZ 3D HQ.

edited December 1969

There's no hurry! :)

edited December 1969

I agree it isn't a hurry, I was just concerned that osmething might have gone wrong and felt it better to ask *hugs*