Renderosity owns Poser?

so I read this at Rendo

--Smith Micro Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: SMSI) today announced the sale of its Poser software product line for professional 3D figure design and animation to Bondware, Inc., owner of the popular online marketplace, Renderosity.com, and longtime Smith Micro resale partner.

mind you Malwarebytes decided that page had a trojan which scared the crap out of me

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

well I don't think it will be any worse than SM, some people might actually write pythons and stuff to sell there

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124

I think this will be good for Poser. Smith Micro was focused on other areas of its business... not Poser. Bondware/Rendo will be more focused on advancement of Poser which helps their direct bottom line of Poser related products in their store.

• It would have been nice to have received an email from them notifying it's customers of this change !

• This makes me wonder if DAZ would ever consider selling their pre-Genesis assets to Renderosity, to focus fully on DS. This would give Poser a boost in the character quality department, and let DAZ focus solely on DS support.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

I own, but don't use Poser, and I think, and hope, it has found a good home  there.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited June 2019

It is an interesting turn of events....but i see no reason for daz to sell off assets for it. Pre-genesis stuff works in d/s and is a d/s asset as well.

I have not had much contact with rosity in years.....so I wonder if they have the resources to actually develop the software. Would be interesting to see what comes.

Post edited by RawArt on
  • SempieSempie Posts: 651

Seems that they're currently only selling the pro-version of Poser. I only have a licence for regular Poser 11.1. Hope that one is still supported.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

Given there is some Gen 3/4 IP in the Genesis characters, eg character clones, and UV layouts, I think it would be tricky for them to sell off without a bunch of additional legal stuff attached.

• I'm surprised their announcement is so low-key. I'd have expected them to have an announcement in place for how they'll use the software to change the store, and even make Poser 11 (base) free to generate more content sales. Instead, the announcement is kind of buried on the bottom of the page and is more like an investor relations piece than a thrill your customers thing.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

I think Rendo acknlowedges Daz Studio as the market leader (when compared to Poser). They probably don't want to do anything to alienate Daz customers, which I'm guessing comprise the majority of their sales.

Therefore it makes sense to keep the Poser announcement low-key.

• I don't buy companies, so I may be missing something, but I think if I was worried that owner Poser would alienate a big chunk of my customers, I wouldn't buy Poser. If I did buy it, I'd do so as part of strategic plan to increase my sales. I guess the wrinkle in this is if I knew it would take time for me to develop the free version, and until then I want to keep getting sales. So perhaps there is a strategic vision they can't announce yet. I wonder if the sale includes transfering the developers to Bondware.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Well I hope they release a patch for all the Poser releases to unlock them from the activation / deactivation process as that's sort of messed up process now.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Almost certainly not - their upkeep as DAZ 3D Store assets is certainly much cheaper than the sales they earn from those items.

I'm not too enthused at the sale of Poser to Renderosity. Maybe the sale is just a polite way for Smith Micro to mothball Poser and dismiss the developers needed to develop Poser. I wouldn't worry about the Poser developers though, in this market they won't have any trouble finding new jobs. 

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Well, looks like upgrades and stand alone Pro versions are cheaper at the new owners place...
  • I think this is great news for Poser users.  Somebody is in control of Poser that actually gives a hoot about end users.  Smith Micro never did, it is a business-to-business marketing company.  It's a shame it took so long to give the program a better home.

edited June 2019

[Poser 11 Pro sold from Smith Micro...]To another store selling 3D content. Maybe a good idea for Carrara too...

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495

I think this is great news for Poser users.  Somebody is in control of Poser that actually gives a hoot about end users.  Smith Micro never did, it is a business-to-business marketing company.  It's a shame it took so long to give the program a better home.

It's good news for all of us. Competition in the market benefits the consumer.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I wonder if they will seek better integration of Daz's figures? Will be interesting to see what happens.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Fascinating.  I wonder what will change now that Rendo owns Poser?

Well, right now the price of upgrades and new versions is lower. Only the Pro version I think, so the non-Pro may be killed off.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Just asked that on the 'Rosity forums after congratulating them on their acquisition!  

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 568

Well, I wouldn't have guessed this would happen. If they develop the software further, it will be interesting to see what changes they make. I know the previous owner fully objected to incorporating any technology from DAZ to support Genesis and similar features. Maybe that will change in the next version of Poser? It would definitely expand the content market for Poser users and likely increase sales there and at DAZ if the two companies can work together. 

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited June 2019

Maybe they go the Blender way, using community programming, but calling the shots in regards to direction? Not sure if that would even work, but it certainly would be a sustainable "free version" model... (and yes, this is wild speculations, of course. I don't have the slightest clue about Rendo's plans...)

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • Merged threads.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    Quasar said:

Well, I wouldn't have guessed this would happen. If they develop the software further, it will be interesting to see what changes they make. I know the previous owner fully objected to incorporating any technology from DAZ to support Genesis and similar features. Maybe that will change in the next version of Poser? It would definitely expand the content market for Poser users and likely increase sales there and at DAZ if the two companies can work together. 

It would be VERY good for EVERYONE if they were to develope the software to fully support the Genesis tech.  A total win for all !!!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Quasar said:

I'd love to see it happen, but not sure how that would work as the two programs have always been on completely different release schedules. Unless Bondware changes that, it's going to be difficult for Poser to keep up with changes Daz makes frequently. I mean, sometimes Daz even breaks their OWN plugins with updates, so it would definitely have to be done carefully if it's to be done at all.

Laurie

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Could be an interesting development. At the very least, they can't neglect Poser any more than it has been at SM.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    AllenArt said:

I'd love to see it happen, but not sure how that would work as the two programs have always been on completely different release schedules. Unless Bondware changes that, it's going to be difficult for Poser to keep up with changes Daz makes frequently. I mean, sometimes Daz even breaks their OWN plugins with updates, so it would definitely have to be done carefully if it's to be done at all.

Laurie

They only need to support the official releases and not the betas.