New Howie Farkes Scene - "Noble Pines"!!!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 1969

did you buy it?
    (me resisted so far but caving inevitable)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited October 2013

Not yet, myself. But very soon, yes. Howie is one of those artists I thrive to support, but also to learn from. Picking his scenes apart in dissection lab is a great learning tools for me. Same with mmoir, 3DLust, and others. Ringo's shaders are in my target now. Not just his shaders but those brushes, too. So I have a heck of a list going that will keep me buying for quite some time. Perusing through Ringo's shader nodes is an excellent learning tool. Beyond that, he's such a swell person!

Part of my reasoning for building ►►► Carrara Resources ◄◄◄ was to assist myself in knowing what Carrara-specific products we have here, at DAZ 3D. I am finding that these resources are much more that just a cool product - but another fun way to learn other ways of doing things in Carrara. Well, then a cool product, too!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Speaking of which, I have just updated ►►► Carrara Resources ◄◄◄ to include this incredible, new product!

Stoney Creek Bundle was my first Howie Farkes. Amazed at the work he's done with the plant editor and shaders, I bought one of his two Arboretum packs. I have now collected a few, and his entire store is on my list of "Must-Get"s.

edited December 1969

Oh... right. It's not just the plant editor stuff either. Howie does an amazing job of including everything needed to get the right, natural feel and look to the environments he makes. It's truly breathtaking how absolutely real they look, no matter the camera angle. He includes prop plants, grasses and stones, etc., But I also go into his scenes and save individual elements from them for use in my own scenes as well. Like in Stoney Creek, he'll include special trees in his replicators for adding extra height or extra canopy... neat tricks with spectacular results. Howie Farkes .com is a good place to visit as well.

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Howie's scenes are usually an automatic buy. (I think I did skip the mushrooms, or was that stonemason?). In any case, this one is downloaded and rendering.

ncamp

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,187
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    Howie's scenes are usually an automatic buy. (I think I did skip the mushrooms, or was that stonemason?). In any case, this one is downloaded and rendering.

ncamp

The mushrooms were by Howie ("Darkwald"), and like most of his products an automatic buy for me. Carrara! :coolsmile:

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Howie Farkes is definitely a "MUST BUY" for me. His work is incredible.

• soltsolt Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    Howie’s scenes are realy great , but why to buy it ?...try to learn from him, and make your own scenes...in my opinion i think..

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

solt said:
    Hi,
    Howie’s scenes are realy great , but why to buy it ?...try to learn from him, and make your own scenes...in my opinion i think..

Several reasons come to mind.

1. There are few people who make Carrara only content. I feel I should support them when possible.
    2. Howie is a much better artist at making landscapes than I am. I've learned a lot from looking at how he does things, but I do not have the flair for landscapes that he does. As a matter of fact, I spent a good bit of time last night looking at how he did his water shader.
    3. There is no need to model everything yourself, unless you just want to.
    4. Howie's scenes make me happy.

Please, don't feel I am pressuring you to buy stuff. That is your own decision. We all have our own skill sets and levels. Feel free to use the tools and content that you wish.

ncamp

edited December 1969

I agree with ncamp. I love to support Carrara artists and Howie's products just make me happy. I always learn from the same scene every time I open it anew. That's a lot of learning from just a few of his products!

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Tell me about it. Even just the snow scene included with carrara is amazing. Just looking at the snow covered branches on those trees in close detail makes me go wow!

Just wish I had the render power for doing some of his scenes in full GI , as in they completing in less than 30+ hours... I have high hopes for Octane helping out in that area. (Athough its not howiea fault, even regular trees or even thequickie cardboard cutout stencils can bog a render down in full gi when theres a good bush of them.)

Howie's a true master of carrara landscaping with fauna hands down. :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

There's ways to simulate GI, and I do believe Howie includes some of those methods, such as light domes. It's well worth the effort to explore some of them if you haven't already done so.

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Got it :3 could not resist and Howie is really a Must Buy for me, too