Collision handling for more that one object / character

AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello,

I successfully learnt how to use the collision handling. But now I want that two characters leave their "imprints" on a surface. How can I apply several items to the collision handler?

I tried to build a group out of my characters. But the group object doesn't have any effect to the collision handling. What is the correct method?

Andy

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

There isn't one, and if you're referring to things like indents and such from sitting on a couch, DS doesn't have soft body dynamics.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    There isn't one, and if you're referring to things like indents and such from sitting on a couch, DS doesn't have soft body dynamics.

No, not this. I allready read this thread. In my case I have two characters being on the same surface. But only for one I can apply the collision handling.
    Really pitty !
    edited December 1969

The only way I know of to get around the collision issue is with clothing. Use a body suit on the figure, hide it, and set the conforming clothing to collide with the suit and not the figure.

edited December 1969

Think you talk about a totally different topic.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Two different Items can collide to the SAME surface, so as Vask says put a Suit on one of your two figures and in Surfaces set the Opacity to show the SUIT as transparent. Now collide the First figure with the item and then collide the SUIT with the item for the second figure. You then have two collisions from two items. It does work.

edited December 1969

Yes, you can collide multiple figures to the same surface, but I was under the impression he wanted to collide a single figure to multiple surfaces, which can't be done in DS.

edited December 1969

Hi Jade,

Jaderail said:
    Two different Items can collide to the SAME surface, so as Vask says put a Suit on one of your two figures and in Surfaces set the Opacity to show the SUIT as transparent. Now collide the First figure with the item and then collide the SUIT with the item for the second figure. You then have two collisions from two items. It does work.

Sorry, but somehow, I don't understand it.
    1. Is it correct that a SUIT is a Geometry Shell for an item / character?
    2. Following assumption 1 I did as you described. But as soon as I set the suit as the collision item for my ground, the collision of my first character disappears, because DAZ3D only accepts only one collision item. Or must the suit be related to the other character in some kind?

Please see that picture:
    http://andysanderson.deviantart.com/art/Benny-and-blond-Boy-409681361?q=gallery:AndySanderson&qo=0
    How is it possible, that both characters make their imprints on the mat?

Andy

edited October 2013

You can't set the mat to have multiple collision surfaces. You'd have to morph the mat yourself in a 3d app, or use dformers inside Studio.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEBV2GHJHA

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I admit I was thinking backwards here. I was thinking Clothing collisions against other items to layer them over each other. Again Vask is correct, that would best be done with Deformers. And the Tutorial is the one I link users to.

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    You can't set the mat to have multiple collision surfaces. You'd have to morph the mat yourself in a 3d app, or use dformers inside Studio.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEBV2GHJHA

One can cheat is some situations. Like the floor on the picture. ;-)
    30.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 243K
    edited December 1969

Hi Ben,

that looks nice. :) !:

But how did you do that?
    OK, one can use deformers in the plane clinked to the joints of the figures. But I think this is a bad workaround. :(
    And as you can see in my pictures I got used to work with D-Formers.

But I can't understand, why DAZ can't handle collisions with different other objects. Or will this be an update in future versions?
    In principle (software processses) it won't be a problem. If it can calculate one, then it isn't any problem to handle a list.

Andy

edited October 2013

Hi

In this case, after posing the figures, I sent them and boots to Hexagon via DS - Hex bridge, welded them into single object in Hexagon and sent it back to DS. Set the floor to collide with the welded object, while making the object invisible and that was that.

Or export the figures from DS (base resolution) and than use whatever program you have in which you can combine the figures into single object and import it back into DS.

Post edited by ben98120000 on
    edited October 2013

Hi Ben,

ah OK, I understand. I had a similar idea and allready tried to create a group out of the two figures within DAZ and then create a geometry shell. But all did not work. :(

So one question to hexagon:
    Is it compatible with the current windows versions (Win 7 or higher)? In the specs they only talk about Win2K or XP, what is at least 10 years back. :-S

Andy

Post edited by AndyS on
    edited October 2013

Well, I use it with 64 bit Vista and it works as well as Hexagon works. And as far as I know, DAZ haves 30 days return policy, meaning if you buy it and it doesnt work for you, you can return it and get your money back.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

You could try this but you will not be able to adjust the figures with doing it this way.
    Select both figures and clothing and "Export" as OBJ
    "Import" this OBJ back into Daz Studio
    set collison as the two figures are now one object..

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    You could try this but you will not be able to adjust the figures with doing it this way.
    Select both figures and clothing and "Export" as OBJ
    "Import" this OBJ back into Daz Studio
    set collison as the two figures are now one object..

Yes, that works as well. Just to add, set resolution of the figures and clothing to base in parameters tab - mesh resolution, before you export to reduce amount of polygons (geometry) you dont need.
    edited December 1969

Also hide any body part that is hidden by clothing, that is also reduce the poly count. ;)

edited October 2013

hehe, yeah. When you export, it exports everything in the scene, regardless of what you have selected. A way to export some things and not the other things, is to make things you dont want exported invisible and have "ignore invisible nodes" option from export menu checked/active. So basically, you can hide everything but the parts you want for collision.

edited December 1969

Indeed ben.

edited December 1969

Hi Pete,

the hint to export as obj and re-import was quite good. But after the re-import the skin looked very strange (some kind of pastell). Perhaps I forgot to consider something?

Andy

edited December 1969

Could be down to the materials going from advanced to default shaders. You can select your pre exported items and save a material preset and then use that to reload the surfaces on the OBJ.

edited December 1969

Hm Pete,

sounds good but didn't work at all.
    I selected my two characters and saved a materials preset of the selected items.
    After importing the object I tried to apply the material preset. But it only applyed all at only one of the original characters in the object in a much darker color. The other parts of the object belonging to the second character stayed in pastell.

OK, it might be possible to create a suit (geometry shell) out of the object and use this instead the object. Then following the suggestions in one of the earlier posts. That way you're not spending that much memory in the scene.

Andy

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

A Materials Preset is saved for only one character. If there are other items parented to the first you can save a Hierarchical Materials preset to capture all of them, but not if they are not parented together.

edited December 1969

The exported/imported parts are not supposed to be visible in render so it doesnt matter how object looks. It is used as collision item, but make the object invisible and render your original figures.