Forgotten ghosts - .3dmf files

marcf_3f26630b29marcf_3f26630b29 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

There's this site I rediscovered while pruning bookmarks. It is full of relatively simple models of great buildings (thus the well chosen domain name).

http://www.greatbuildings.com

On OS X, at least since a few versions back, it is impossible to open and convert these files, except maybe with Cheetah. There's a viewer that still works in Mavericks, but it doesn't convert files.

From what I see .3dmf was based on QuickDraw, a technology that Apple has dropped a while ago.

Maybe these models have already been converted by someone and stored elsewhere.

Any thoughts?

Z

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited October 2013

AccuTrans3D and FormZ can read 3DMF files.

AccuTrans is Windows only, but maybe you can run Windows on your Mac.

Post edited by cdordoni on
  • marcf_3f26630b29marcf_3f26630b29 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks, cdordoni. I think you point at the right solution for me.

Z

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Quite the amazing site. Have you made any conversion luck yet?

edited December 1969

Have you made any conversion luck yet?

Unfortunately, no.

I tried to install Accutrans3D with Crossover but that didn't work. Accutrans is not listed in the supported windows applications that Crossover can handle.

So, this means that I need to install a Windows shell like Parallels Desktop and one of a few versions of Windows that are compatible with Accutrans3D. Much longer.

Z

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Zague said:
    Have you made any conversion luck yet?

Unfortunately, no.

I tried to install Accutrans3D with Crossover but that didn't work. Accutrans is not listed in the supported windows applications that Crossover can handle.

So, this means that I need to install a Windows shell like Parallels Desktop and one of a few versions of Windows that are compatible with Accutrans3D. Much longer.

Z

Argh!
    Too bad.

edited December 1969

All is not lost.

I found out scouring forums where people were stuck with the same problem that quite a few of these models exist in more modern formats (.skp and .dae) in Google 3D Warehouse (now owned by Trimble).

Like these ones (that I've tested), for example:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=e2bb07de7a82c468f9c1628d84b1ea48

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=6cbb61f12311fb354a8cd87a0f8116c4&prevstart=0

Some are missing from what I see, but I think that the Google library has more building overall than the Great Buildings website. Of course, you don't have all the other interesting architectural stuff with them (photos, floor plans etc.)

Z