Why does one of my figures go blank white after rendering? I have attached three screen shots.

EdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdward Posts: 143
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Please see the three screen shots.

Comments

• Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

I don't think it is as simple as the ambient setting for the skin, but it is worth a check.
    Advanced shaders use diffuse as preview but can look completely different when rendered.
    So what are the material settings for the skin?
    Edit:
    Have you by any chance use a skin shader made for Poser?
    Oh, and you have exceeded the max size for posting on your renders.

Oom

Post edited by Oom Fooyat on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have seen this happen with old shaders that are not compatable with the upgraded software. I am not saying that this is the case.

Oom could be right about Poser shader but until know I have only seen them come out black in Daz Studio. But never say never just becase I haven't seen it doesn't make to true. :)

Can you provide a little info on what Skin texture is it and what the surface settings are (screenshot will help)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited December 1969

I've had this happen with shaders recently, especially the Visual style shaders I was told that its a memory problem.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

80% certain that's an issue with the version of the old Elite Human Surface Shader. I'd suggest removing it (EHSS) from your system and reinstalling DS4 to get the native version.

Either way before you do that confirm that the skin in question is using EHSS. :) If it is, then I think I've got the answer (above), if it isn't, then let us know and we'll keep trying to help.

• EdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdward Posts: 143
    edited July 2012

Must run to work now, so will reply to only one at this moment, will reply more after I return from work. Thank you to everyone for your replies.

adamr001,

How would I find out if the skin in question is using Elite Human Surface Shader? If I'm not mistaken, I did once purchase EHSS, but whether I've downloaded it to my current computer and whether the skin in question is using it, I'm not sure...

Post edited by EdwardEdwardEdward on
    edited December 1969

Just post a screencap of your Surface settings and we should be able to see if you are using EHSS. Just make sure the scrrencap is no bigger than 800 pixels wide. :)

edited December 1969

Yup, select the figure on the scene tab, swtich to the surface tab and then select something like "2_SkinFace" and look at the top, it'll show you the shader, it'll say like "DAZ Default" or omHumanSurface or omUberSurface.

If it's the middle one omHumanSurface, then that's you're culprit. If it says something else, then it may be a purely custom shader.

edited December 1969

Just goes to show my eyes are painted on...I have never noticed that Adam. ;)

edited December 1969

It might also say pw... In which case you need to make sure you're using the latest version of those...

edited December 1969

Oh and I just really noticed.... holyschmoly that's a lot of lights. Is that a Poser light set you're trying to use in DS?

edited December 1969

This is probably much more than you guys want, but here are screen shots.

Part_5._Surfaces,_colors_Tab_._M4_.png
    508 x 584 - 66K
    Part_4._Surfaces,_colors_Tab_._M4_.png
    500 x 547 - 109K
    Part_3._Surfaces,_colors_Tab_._M4_.png
    496 x 531 - 138K
    Part_2._Surfaces,_colors_Tab_._M4_.png
    550 x 712 - 228K
    Part_1._Surfaces_.colors_tab_._M4_._.png
    500 x 605 - 250K
    edited December 1969

a couple more screen shots:

Surfaces,_colors_Tab._Shader_Baker_._M4_.png
    374 x 486 - 78K
    Part_6._Surfaces,_colors_Tab_._M4_.png
    499 x 560 - 57K
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Oh and I just really noticed.... holyschmoly that's a lot of lights. Is that a Poser light set you're trying to use in DS?

I don't know if this will answer your question, but the lights ("Lights1") are in the Poser Formats section of the Content Library.

edited December 1969

By the way, the render is from quality setting "3". ("4" being the best -- and slowest.)

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

By the way, the render is from quality setting "3". ("4" being the best -- and slowest.)

Change the render quality setting to "4". "3" is a hardware assisted render using OpenGL Shader, that's why the figures skin is washing out with the current light set.
    Also the light set you are using is optimized for poser, so you may need to adjust some of those lights. Unless you are happy with the lighting in the render, then leave them be.
    I sometimes believe lighting is a personal taste if it achieves the look you are going for.

Hope this helps... :)

edited December 1969

niccipb,

Yes, that helped, thank you.

Oddly, render settings 1 and 4 both show the man's face. Settings 2 and 3 white it out.

Also, 4 seems quicker to render than either 2 or 3, though it's supposed to be the other way around. As for quality, I'm not sure that 4 is better quality than 3 or 2.

The Render settings currently in place:

Render_settings.png
    700 x 1590 - 265K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The default Shading Rate of 1.0 is good for drafts, but for final renders I usually lower it to 0.2

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

niccipb,

Yes, that helped, thank you.

Oddly, render settings 1 and 4 both show the man's face. Settings 2 and 3 white it out.

Also, 4 seems quicker to render than either 2 or 3, though it's supposed to be the other way around. As for quality, I'm not sure that 4 is better quality than 3 or 2.

The Render settings currently in place:

Hi... Glad it helped

Setting 1 is a hardware assisted Preview render and will look more or less like what you see in the viewport so it renders pretty fast
    Settings 2 and 3 are hardware assisted using OpenGL and OpenGL Shader. Certain light settings and arrangments will cause that white-out effect in the render. As for speed, I believe that is rather dependent on the available hardware resources of your computer.
    Setting 4 uses the 3Delight software driven render engine. The lights and textures/shaders that you use in studio are designed to take advantage of 3Delight. The render times will vary based on many factors, lights, shadows/ shadow types and settings, shaders, transparency maps and render settings to name a few.

As fixmypcmike said, lowering the Shading Rate in the render settings will give you higher quality renders, but it will increase time. Also large render dimensions will increase time. While building your scene, using the Spot Render tool, smaller render size and higher shading rate is a good way to judge how your lights and surfaces are going to look. When you believe you're done, then adjust the render settings to higher quality and set your render size and let it cook. Just don't forget to SAVE your scene before rendering.

Also if your scene is really big or complex and/ or your rendering to a large dimension, use Render to File. Rendering to a new window uses system ram that could be put to use by the renderer.

Well I hope this helps and Happy Rendering... :)

edited December 1969

niccipb and fixmypcmike,

Thank you very much for the assistance. Good to know about the shading rate and Render to File, as well as other points mentioned.