Lines on skydomes when using Uberenvironment: DS

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What causes the "lines" to appear in a render when using a skydome?

I was rendering Stonemason's Winter Kingdom with the skydome, and the lines....like, "grid" lines...show up when using the uberenvironment lights.

I've seen this discussed before in the forums but I can't find the posts with the search.

Comments

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

turn up the bias on the uber-environment light to get rid of the grid lines, I think it's set at .1 by default, I put it up to around 1. or you can subdivide the mesh.
    the uber lights included with winter kingdom already have the bias adjusted to account for the grid lines

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

*edit, sorry I'm getting my models mixed up, "Winter Terrains" (the one released last week) has uber lights with adjusted bias..the "Winter Kingdom" doesn't have uber lights so you'll need to adjust it yourself

thanks
    Stefan

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

thanks Stefan!
    i turned the bias up to 1.0 and yep, the lines disappear!

:D

Just wanted to add that it wasn't JUST the skydome in winter kingdom - I'd had it happen in other stuff, and I couldn't remember what the fix was. :D

• Gendragon3DGendragon3D Posts: 172
    edited December 1969

I had this same problem!
    Thanks for posting this solution!
    Gendragon

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited October 2013

I think this post would apply here as it relates to the Winter Terrains and unwanted artifacts- I'm getting holes in the mesh when rendering, it's all four scenes. I can dial them out for the most part by adjusting displacement strength but it greatly reduces the awesomeness. Any other ideas?

These worked great when I first bought them.
    I didn't adjust any of the surfaces from the default settings/preload other than to change the background color and hide the skydome. I used default render settings.

fingers crossed!

Stonemason_Winter_Terrain_Holes_in_mesh2.jpg
    956 x 518 - 445K
    Post edited by Marshian on
    edited October 2013

Gaps or holes in the mesh from displacement solved!
    It happens when Progressive Rendering is checked. The spot render tool is also affected.

I use spot and progressive render all the time but now I know. Big Thanks to David Sandberg for helping me troubleshoot.

Post edited by Marshian on
  • Collective3dCollective3d Posts: 446
    edited December 1969

I think this happens with sky domes that haven't had their normals flipped to the inside. I have noticed this behavior with other single-sided meshes in the past. For instance, the tarps on the inside of my Summer Camp would show gridlines on the backside of the faces until I shelled them to make it a 2-sided object.

Changing the bias on the light sounds like a good workaround, but if there are any other PAs who can test my hypothesis with the normals I'd like to see if you arrive at the same conclusion. I have been able to reproduce that pretty consistently here.

edited December 1969

Can the normals be flipped from within DS?

edited December 1969

Not as far as I know.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

Yes, select all of the polygons with the Polygon Group Editor - with luck it will be enough to select one, then right-click and from the menu pick Polygon Selection>Select Connected or Select All (the former if the dome is part of a figure, the latter if it's a separate prop), then right-click again and select Polygon Editing>Reverse Winding Order.

edited December 1969

Awesome. So many cool little features I don't know about, especially since it's not a modeling program.