Metalize! Shader Presets for DAZ Studio

srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I would be curious to see people's results with the "Metalize! Shader Presets for DAZ Studio" product at http://www.daz3d.com/pc-anniversary-sale-week-2/metalize-shader-presets-for-daz-studio .
Specifically, the various worn/tarnished/aged versions of the brass/bronze/copper type metals on a variety of shapes other than just the sphere and plane in the promo. I imagine lighting and other objects in the scene would affect the outcome a lot too.

Comments

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited October 2013

Hi Sean, here are some quick example renders I've done. The aged presets have increasingly stronger ageing effect, going from Aged 1 to Aged 3. Those labelled Aged 1 are more of a patina effect and have no bump. Aged 2 is stronger with bump, and Aged 3 even more so, giving more pitted look. I hope you can see what I mean from the images below.

Here are the shaders used for each item in the images:

Image 1
    Bowl: Copper + Aged 1(Green)
    Sword: Blade - Brass + Aged2 ( Brown). Handle - Steel + Aged1(Rust)
    Yukimi ornament: Bronze + Aged 3 (Black)

Image 2 is a close up of the sword blade.

Image 3
    Mech body: Bronze + Aged 2 (Black) , Gun: Dark Iron + Aged 1 (Rust) on the guns.

I'd love to see what other people are doing with the shaders:)

Mettalize_mech_example_copy.jpg
    800 x 800 - 273K
    mettalize_examples2_copy.jpg
    800 x 666 - 164K
    mettalize_examples1_copy.jpg
    500 x 416 - 92K
    Post edited by Eva1 on
    edited December 1969

And one more for fun, using the Aged 2 presets on copper, green gold and brass.

Vases_example.jpg
    600 x 780 - 120K
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,319
    edited October 2013

Very nice shaders and beautiful renders!

Here are my 'Psychedelic Christmas Eggs' ;-) - just a quick render with DS default light.

Psychedelic_Christmas_Eggs.jpg
    1486 x 860 - 807K
    Post edited by caravelle on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730
    edited December 1969

Nice set of shaders!
    --

toxic01.jpg
    943 x 1051 - 258K
    toxic02.jpg
    943 x 1051 - 343K
    toxic03.jpg
    943 x 1051 - 491K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Nice renders folks! Haven't bought these, but your work is enjoyable. =-)

edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing your renders Polka and Taozen!:)

• katfeetekatfeete Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

A quickie render but I may have to go back and do something with this guy. He interests me. :)

This shader pack ROCKS, btw.

CyberMetallic.png
    763 x 1100 - 526K
    edited December 1969

Very cool katfeete! Great robot model. I love the combination of the two metal colours.

edited December 1969

AikoBot 3 reshaded:
    --

AikoBot.jpg
    1225 x 1051 - 276K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the example renders (and keep them coming!)

@Eva1, the mech does a nice job of showing sunlight reflections.

edited October 2013

Just a note about my renders - I'm generally setting Reclection Strength at below 20. The defult setting (97.3) makes edges look sort of "dirty" in a way I don't like. The left one below is the default setting, the right one is set at 12, all other settings are default
    --

toxic04.jpg
    943 x 1051 - 211K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited October 2013

Taozen said:
    Just a note about my renders - I'm generally setting Reclection Strength at below 20. The defult setting (97.3) makes edges look sort of "dirty" in a way I don't like. The left one below is the default setting, the right one is set at 12, all other settings are default
    --

Hi, it looks like the effect you are describing is due to lighting in the scene. Lighting is a big factor when rendering any textures that have a lot of shine or specularity. My promos both in this thread (except the mech one which uses a Yosemite set) and in the store pages use Uber Environment lighting and a couple of distant lights (and no postwork). But even using just one distant light you can get a good result without the edges looking overblown (all my testing is done with just one basic light to ensure results are good with minimum of lighting).

Having said that, it's all about having fun, and experimenting, and doing whatever you think works best for your scene, and what you think looks nicest!:)

Post edited by Eva1 on
    edited October 2013

Ooops, posting function seems a bit glitchy.

Post edited by Eva1 on
    edited October 2013

Eva1 said:
    Taozen said:
    --

Hi, it looks like the effect you are describing is due to lighting in the scene. Lighting is a big factor when rendering any textures that have a lot of shine or specularity. My promos both in this thread (except the mech one which uses a Yosemite set) and in the store pages use Uber Environment lighting and a couple of distant lights (and no postwork). But even using just one distant light you can get a good result without the edges looking overblown (all my testing is done with just one basic light to ensure results are good with minimum of lighting).

Having said that, it's all about having fun, and experimenting, and doing whatever you think works best for your scene, and what you think looks nicest!:)

I'm actually using two distant lights in all the renders I've posted here. I've now tried with one distant light and two spheres, but it doesn't look good no matter what I do. Also tried with UberEnvironment but that doesn't make it better. Wonder if it can have something to do with my graphics card, it's just an onboard card on a 7 year old mainboard.
    --

metshader01.jpg
    844 x 549 - 97K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited October 2013

Taozen said:

I'm actually using two distant lights in all the renders I've posted here. I've now tried with one distant light and two spheres, but it doesn't look good no matter what I do. Also tried with UberEnvironment but that doesn't make it better. Wonder if it can have something to do with my graphics card, it's just an onboard card on a 7 year old mainboard.
    --

Could be - I'm certainly no expert on graphics cards, but I always use Nvidia, and have always changed the default card provided with a PC/laptop to a Nvidia one, because I find the quality better (and I'm still using an XP PC to do renders!).

Other things that can affect the way a render turns out other than lighting are the DS render settings. The default settings are usually fine but can be tweaked too to get better results. For the Uber Environment settings, again these need to be tweaked. I've never found using it as is very suitable. For example I always lower the shading rate and increase the occlusion samples (to about 80-100) - however this does increase render times.

I personally think lighting is one of the trickiest things to get right (I find Bryce easier to set lighting) - but it depends also what look you are going for. There are quite a few threads on lighting in the Forums and tutorials generally on the web you could try looking at. Blondie's 'The Basics of Lighting' is a good tutorial (available in the store) , and Dreamlight's 'Great Art Now - Step 5 Lights' might be useful http://www.daz3d.com/great-art-now-step-5-lights (it's free too!)

Post edited by Eva1 on
    edited December 1969

Just found this useful info also from this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/30492/P15:

DAZ_jared said:
    So here is a sneak peak from the up coming User Guide for DAZ Studio:

Knowledge Base Article: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/22468709-DAZ-Studio-User-Guide-Sneak-Peak-Lighting

Direct PDF Download: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/attachments/token/c6orzkakfv9pxdn/?name=DAZ+Studio+User+Guide+Sneak+Peak.pdf

Just so there is no confusion, the User Guide isn't a Knowledge Base article, it is an actual .pdf manual. Some of the hyperlinks in the text may not work since they refer to other chapters in the document that aren't included in the sneak peak.

edited December 1969

Thanks Eva for your explanations and the links, will check them out. Hopefully they'll give me a clue as to how to improve things... :)