Underwater Caustic Effects

2»

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited July 2012

@IanzThingz - Bryce tiles directly tileable pictures if you select the the Symmetric Tiling and Scale Picture Size options, then set scale in the Transformation tools to 50%. Teresa's method doesn't actually give you a larger picture. Instead of a 400 x 400 picture, you have 4 400 x 400 pixel pictures in an 800 x 800 pixel picture. The result if done in Bryce is the same.

If you want to tile pictures that are not tilable, just use the Repeat Tiling option instead of the Symmetric Tiling one. If the Scale Picture Size option is enabled, the sizes 0% and 100% in the Transformation Tools gives you just one picture on the object. If the size is set to 50%, you get 2 x 2, if it is at 33.333% 3 x 3, at 25% 4 x 4, at 10% 10 x 10, at 1% 100 x 100.

Things get a bit more complicated if Scale Picture Size is not enabled. Or if negative %-sizes are used.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Luckily for this underwater caustic exercise the image tiles automatically.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Exactly!

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info everyone, I must try the caustic tut soon, I'm just on Horo's wonderful tuts at the mo :)

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

As with everything else in Bryce there are several approaches depending on your needs. If you are using Bryce 7 pro then you are in luck with the new lights. The Parallel Lights in Bryce 6.3 and earlier were not truly parallel at all. That is the reason for the new True Parallel Lights. Along with this improved accuracy, there is also much more control.

There are two considerations. The first being how to generate the caustic image map. The second being how to apply the map to the scene as a gel.

You can obtain very useful caustic maps from this application:

Caustics Generator
    http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/

You can also use this map I can provide for free generated from Bryce procedurals in the DTE. Thank GOD for the videos and other items from David and Horo! Save this map to a location you can easily identify.

1. Create a True Parallel Light. By default these lights are aimed downward. Enter the Light Lab
    2. Select Use Gel. Also, Click the Procedural Option. ( It is always best to choose the procedural option for this allows you the full options of the material lab)
    3. In Slot A select the little P and enter the Picture Editor.
    4. Click onto one of the available squares and a dialogue to load an image will pop up. Load the caustic image of your choice.
    5. Make the Mapping Mode World Cubic. If you are using the free image supplied below then set the scaling to -5.6 along all three axis. Exit the Material Lab. You will be taken back to the Light Lab.
    6. Along the left side of the Light Lab there is an area for the True Parallels controls. Enable the Infinite Width Option. Now exit the Light Lab.

You should now have a caustic that extends into eternity very easily.

Bryce really is so much fun

Rashad, I wondering if it is possible for this tutorial to be expanded on, I have just gone thru it, and i'm pretty lost on how the whole scene is set up, meaning where things are placed, the various planes, the parallel light, I got the light bit and I placed some rocks on a stony ground plane, but what to do with the sun, sky etc, complete newbie here really :)
    Cheers

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Since IanzThingz drew my attention to this thread. I shall put a link for the tutorial I made today - as it is on topic. Bryce light gel underwater effect - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen