DSON Importer for Poser 1.1.1.17 General Release, Now Available!

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited November 2013 in Poser Discussion

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the public version of DSON Importer for Poser, version 1.1.1.17!

What is new in this version? Do I need to update my copy?

The 1.1.1.17 version resolves several issues and implements improvements since the 1.1.0.18 General Release. All new downloads of the DSON Importer for Poser product (SKU: 14897) will be of this version. A Change Log with additional information can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site.

Highlights are:

- Added “Projection Morph” override support; use “Projection Morphs” asset folder in place of “Morphs” with a _proj suffix in file basename for a given morph in “Morphs” to override auto-generated morph projections.
- Updated OpenSubdiv support to 2.0.1.
- Made UVs in OpenSubdiv generated meshes more memory efficient; collapse UVs that are the same.
- Consolidated UVs in subdivision meshes.
- Fixed GeoGrafting figures so that the host figure owns modifications to the shared edge(s).
- Fixed a race condition between update and finalize when vertex edits are present.
- Fixed vertex order in SubDivision surfaces to be consistent between levels.
- FIXED #DS-28 : Added support for Actor/Character and Follower/Wardrobe/Headwear content types to the “Create Poser Companion Files” action.
- Speed improvements to building facet sets from OpenSubdiv.
- Updated IM packages to include Poser Pro 2014 and Poser 10 as possible install destinations.
- Cleaned up OpenSubdiv calculations.
- Fixed #50504: Changed how bulge values get set.
- Fixed #DSON-4: Fixed excessive per-conformer load times on Poser 2014 Mac.

Have the Genesis Starter Essentials and/or the Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials content packages been updated?

No, the Genesis Starter Essentials content has NOT been updated. But YES, the Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials content HAS been updated.

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously added the DSON Importer for Poser product to your account, launch Install Manager, log into your account and type "DSON Importer for Poser" into the filter field to filter out anything else. Then simply download and install as you would normally.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install DSON Importer for Poser from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "DSON Importer for Poser" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the green "download & install" button to launch Install Manager with an appropriate filter or click the blue "download" button to download the standalone installer.

If this is your first time downloading DSON Importer for Poser, simply follow this link, click the "Add to Cart" button on the page and then follow the checkout process.

*Note: This General Release version is available through Install Manager as well as a standalone installer.

Can I have the General Release and the BETA installed at the same time?

The simple answer is... You should only have one version of the DSON Importer for Poser installed at a time.

The more complicated answer is yes, but you can only have one version of DSON Importer for Poser installed per installation of Poser 9/Pro 2012. Poser 9 is only 32 bit, while Poser Pro 2012 offers the ability to install both a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version.

Is there any documentation?

Yes, documentation is located here. Within the User Guide section, you will find information relating to:

- Installation and Requirements
- Using the DSON Importer for Poser
- Converting Content for use with the DSON Importer for Poser

Post edited by DAZ_Brian on

Comments

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

I can't remember if I installed it. Is there a way to tell from within poser, which version of the dson importer is installed?

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,179
    edited December 1969

Recent versions have a version number in the Scripts > DSON Importer > Importer Preferences... dialog.

-Rob

edited December 1969

yep found it. thanks.

• zaintczaintc Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    Recent versions have a version number in the Scripts > DSON Importer > Importer Preferences... dialog.

-Rob

When I did that I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    ImportError: No module named dson

• surrealitysurreality Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

- Fixed #DSON-4: Fixed excessive per-conformer load times on Poser 2014 Mac.

Thank you!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Thank you Rob and Spooky and BH and everyone else I don't know of who might have been involved: thank you, thank you, thank you.
    *bounces with glee* Working beautifully -- thank you!

edited December 1969

Thank you!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Thank you Rob and Spooky and BH and everyone else I don't know of who might have been involved: thank you, thank you, thank you.
    *bounces with glee* Working beautifully -- thank you!

You're very welcome. I'll be sure to pass it along to Chris and Ammon.

-Rob

edited December 1969

zaintc said:
    rbtwhiz said:

-Rob

When I did that I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    ImportError: No module named dson

How did you install? With the standalone installer, or Install Manager?

Which version of Windows is this?

Did you install the correct bit architecture (i.e. 32-bit or 64-bit) for the version of Poser installed to?

Is the Importer Preferences script the only one that produces the error?

Has it done this since you originally installed it, or is this a new behavior?

-Rob

edited December 1969

DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.1.1.17_Win64
    Windows 7 64bit
    Standalone install
    Not sure if anything else causing errors, I only use that function

I had it working before and then I upgraded from Poser 2012 to 2014, thats when it went wrong, went back to 2012. I could not see DSON load on 2014, now not at all

Thanks in advance

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

This version of the DSON importer seems to run faster as the previous one
    There are a few problems however.

The installer does not run correctly from DIM (cannot find poser) but does work correctly when you install manually by copying the files directly to the poser install folder

Transfer Active morphs does not work correctly if you dial in morphs after you have added clothing. If you delete the clothing and add and conform it again, it works correctly.

Applying a pose causes poke through and transfer active morphs does not seem to fix it (but that may be a limitation of the DSON implementation or Poser). Morph brush fixes it easily

After working with the figure a while (adding morphs, clothing, hair and adding props), the poses are no longer working correctly: The lower body part is correct, but the upper body part seems to take a completely different pose. See attached picture.
    This happens with all the V6 poses. V4 poses seem to work fine
    This does not happen when you load a new v6 in a new scene and apply the poses

jos1.jpg
    1115 x 882 - 163K
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:
    DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.1.1.17_Win64
    Windows 7 64bit
    Standalone install
    Not sure if anything else causing errors, I only use that function

I had it working before and then I upgraded from Poser 2012 to 2014, thats when it went wrong, went back to 2012. I could not see DSON load on 2014, now not at all

Thanks in advance

The DSON module is used in every case that you load DSON based content... not just the scripts in the menu... so when you say that you "only use that function" (referring, I presume, to the Importer Preferences), do you mean that you are unable to use any functionality that the package provides? Or do you literally mean that the only function you've tried since reverting to Poser Pro 2012 is the Importer Preferences and this is the result you get?

You say that it was working before, in Poser Pro 2012, and then you upgraded.to 2014... which is when it stopped working. Did you re-install the importer, directing the installer to the installation of 2014 when you did that? There are files that need to be in specific locations within the application's folder/file structure for it to work.

What do you mean by "went back to 2012"? Did you leave it installed and just start using it again... or did you go through the process of installing it again? If you re-installed it... did you install the service releases again? Did you re-install the importer? Did you manually move files around, possibly not moving everything you should have?

The files you should have installed... to whichever version of Poser (9, 2012, 10, 2014) you are using... are:

- /Runtime/Geometries/DAZ 3D/DSON/subdnull.obj
    - /Runtime/Python/addons/dson/__init__.py
    - /Runtime/Python/addons/dson/boost_python-vc100-mt-1_50.dll
    - /Runtime/Python/addons/dson/dzdsonimporter.pyd
    - /Runtime/Python/addons/dson/DzDSONIO.dll
    - /Runtime/Python/addons/dson/QtCore4.dll
    - /Runtime/Python/poserScripts/ScriptsMenu/DSON Support/Importer Preferences....py
    - /Runtime/Python/poserScripts/ScriptsMenu/DSON Support/SubDivision/Set SubDivision Level 0.py
    - /Runtime/Python/poserScripts/ScriptsMenu/DSON Support/SubDivision/Set SubDivision Level 1.py
    - /Runtime/Python/poserScripts/ScriptsMenu/DSON Support/SubDivision/Set SubDivision OFF.py
    - /Runtime/Python/poserScripts/ScriptsMenu/DSON Support/Transfer Active Morphs.py

You need to install the importer that is compatible with the bit architecture of the application, not [necessarily] your operating system. Just because your OS is 64-bit doesn't mean the application is. The fact that you are on Windows 7 64-bit combined with the path in the error starting with "C:\Program Files\..." suggests that this is the 64-bit version of Poser Pro 2012 we're talking about; as the 32-bit version would be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." by default.

I know these questions can seem pretty basic depending on your level of familiarity, but I can't assume anything because these are the types of things that can cause what you are seeing.

-Rob

edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    The installer does not run correctly from DIM (cannot find poser) but does work correctly when you install manually by copying the files directly to the poser install folder

Install Manager doesn't "find" Poser, you have to tell it where Poser is located. You do that from the Settings dialog. The settings dialog is accessed by clicking the gear/cog icon in the upper right corner of the main window. Adding an application is done on the Applications page, by clicking the "+" button and choosing the application, version and bit architecture, and then choosing the installation path of that application in the resulting dialog. Each of the settings you choose plays a direct part in whether a plugin/add-on/extension for that application will install.

WimvdB said:
    Transfer Active morphs does not work correctly if you dial in morphs after you have added clothing. If you delete the clothing and add and conform it again, it works correctly.

There are enough variables involved here that your description of the problem is too vague to troubleshoot without a bit of experimentation, which I don't have time for at the moment. Please submit a support ticket with more detail about the exact steps you are performing, preferably with products in the DAZ store, including what is selected [and when] along with the names of the parameters you are experiencing this with. We need to be able to replicate it in order to track down what may be causing it.

Applying a pose causes poke through and transfer active morphs does not seem to fix it (but that may be a limitation of the DSON implementation or Poser). Morph brush fixes it easily

If the clothing item depends on the smoothing/collision modifier to correct poke through in DAZ Studio, you are likely to get poke through when that content is used in Poser. The smoothing/collision modifier is not supported.

After working with the figure a while (adding morphs, clothing, hair and adding props), the poses are no longer working correctly: The lower body part is correct, but the upper body part seems to take a completely different pose. See attached picture.

If a pose preset that you apply sets values on channels that control the transform channels via ERC (i.e. Pose Controls), and then you apply a pose preset that doesn't... which also doesn't restore said pose channels... the pose of the figure will contain remnants of the previous pose. Pose presets that set the pose of the figure using anything but the transform channels are problematic in this way. If this is what is happening, it would be the content to blame rather than the importer - the importer simply follows the instructions it is given by the content.

-Rob

edited December 1969

OK, you guys are hurting my eyes, lol
    What I meant was that I only use Poser to transfer from Daz to open in Cinema 4D
    I dont like Poser due to its scroll knobs and I never got into it like I did Daz (for obv. reasons)
    Now,
    I removed all Poser programs and installed Poser 10/014, DSON Importer
    Poser sees the importer, now Daz is giving me this error

Thank you for getting back to me too
    Z

DSON_link_not_working_in_Daz.jpg
    526 x 538 - 52K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,843
    edited December 1969

What options did you use in the Create Poser Companion Files dialogue? If it's using the CMS and that isn't working, or the file doesn't have an entry, I think you would get that error. There should be an option to convert files, telling DS what type they are rather than using the CMS.

edited December 1969

I seemed to resolve this problem:
    Click the + button in the lower left-hand corner of the Content Library and choose “Material(s) Preset…”
    I dont seem to be able to locate DSON folder in Poser

edited December 1969

My load times are still excessive. I"m running PP 2014 on mac and the 17 build of DSON.
    When I say excessive, if I try and load an outfit, several clothes it can take over 10 minutes - I didn't time it, but it may have been over 30 mins. it seemed like forever. Whatever it was, it was too long to fit into my work flow.

Screen_Shot_2013-10-17_at_8.33_.10_AM_.png
    609 x 302 - 45K
  • wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

WimvdB said:

There are enough variables involved here that your description of the problem is too vague to troubleshoot without a bit of experimentation, which I don't have time for at the moment. Please submit a support ticket with more detail about the exact steps you are performing, preferably with products in the DAZ store, including what is selected [and when] along with the names of the parameters you are experiencing this with. We need to be able to replicate it in order to track down what may be causing it.

The problem is erratic. Sometimes the script is started and finishes immediately as if it does not recognize anything has changed. And sometimes it just works fine on the same clothing and figure. There is no real reproduction scenario. It just happens regularly

If a pose preset that you apply sets values on channels that control the transform channels via ERC (i.e. Pose Controls), and then you apply a pose preset that doesn't... which also doesn't restore said pose channels... the pose of the figure will contain remnants of the previous pose. Pose presets that set the pose of the figure using anything but the transform channels are problematic in this way. If this is what is happening, it would be the content to blame rather than the importer - the importer simply follows the instructions it is given by the content.

-Rob

This happened after a while. Loading a default figure does not show the behavior. The poses used where those in the josie pro packages (all of them). There were no ERC's involved.Only pose which did work was the T Pose. Zeroing the figure did not work either.
    Probably something happened with the figure while working with it, but I have no idea what caused it
    Trying a new scene with the same figure, hair and clothing and poses did not reproduce it

edited October 2013

For some reason. (I noticed) When I installed Poser 10/2014, certain sections of the programs are installing as Poser 9/2012 (see image) I wanted to use system restore to a point before I installed either version. No such luck, it was turned off. I feel my only recourse is regedit to resolve this, I am not sure what I am looking for. I will go see,maybe its that obvious, if anyone knows about this please share. DSON is doing the same thing creating Poser 2012 folder even when I point it towards 2014 folder

Poser_install_issue.jpg
    729 x 265 - 61K
    Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

I reinstalled everything, DSON is still installing to Poser Pro 2012, even after I keep pointing towards Poser Pro 2014. How do I fix this?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

I'm not understanding why it's doing that. I've never heard of it happening. You may need to submit a support ticket

edited December 1969

I have, my only conclusion is because I had both 2012 & 2014 installed. As I type it, it doesn't make sense.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you remove PP2012 from Settings > Applications in DIM?

edited December 1969

What and where is DIM?

I saw this in Step 2 - How do I Install the Importer? item 6. of this link below

In this screen, you are given the opportunity to choose the installation path. The default will be for "Poser 2012"

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tutorials/dson_installation/start

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Click on the gear in the upper right hand corner and go to the applications tab and remove 2012 and add 2014

edited December 1969

Ok,
    Took a min to figure out what you meant, I redirected the installation in "DIM" Daz Install Manager (You coud of just said that, lol)
    Thank you
    I assuming this image (below) states the installation went well, yet I dont see the items I sent to poser

DSON_installed_correctly.jpg
    600 x 300 - 60K
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Click on the gear in the upper right hand corner and go to the applications tab and remove 2012 and add 2014

Neither was there, Daz installation was there, I removed that and added the Poser Pro 2014 folder path, then it onstalled

edited October 2013

this the path of where daz is placing my content for poser, how do I point this in poser or add the folder path

C:\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Presets\Characters

Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:
    this the path of where daz is placing my content for poser, how do I point this in poser or add the folder path

C:\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Presets\Characters

Poser won't see those files -- the Poser Companion Files have the files that appear in Poser. The DSON Importer looks in the Data folder, but other than Data and Runtime, the other folders under My Library are not used.

edited October 2013

Update here are snap shots of what I did to have the DSON folder show up in Poser. I found this out by revisiting a video I found before when I was using Poser 2012, here is the link (FYI, volime is loud!!!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgGNBlO_yZw

Now the new Issue, the system crashes in Poser every time I load content, lol (laughing from crying)

dson_lib_in_poser.jpg
    644 x 670 - 88K
    cpcf.jpg
    526 x 538 - 87K
    cdm.jpg
    526 x 538 - 67K
    Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

You should remove the last item -- you don't want the Runtime folder itself, just the folder containing the Runtime.

edited October 2013

I AM SOOO TEMPTED TO GO BACK TO POSER PRO 2012, the platform seems more stable (And it was working too)

Post edited by zaintc on