Products retiring (commercial)

StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
edited December 1969 in The Commons

hi guys,
so I always catch a bit of flak for culling products without giving anyone a heads up so here's a fair warning,I'm not recommending anyone buy these but just so you know in about a month these products will be retired:

The Whispering Wall
The Whispering Wall (amplified)
The Display Room
Sci-Fi Crates 'n Containers
SkyBike

(might also try and get some of my older plat club models retired(or at least my name removed),have to bribe daz first on those ones though)

thanks
Stefan
**again I want to stress I'm not actualy wanting anyone to buy these anymore,this is just a heads up that they will be removed soon

Comments

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Hm, just wondering why you are doing so? Any limitations in the DAZ store?

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

just clearing out the old..making way for the new, these are very,very old products that are not a good advertisement for the quality one should expect from my store.
    I've had a few product culls in the past but some people were upset I didn't give any warning before removing them.

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Any chance they'll make it to Fast Grab before retiring?

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

I understand, and thats some good news. So we can expect more HQ stuff from you. Nice! :-)

To be honest, when it comes to props, I almost exclusively buy Stonemason stuff. Not cheap, but worth every cent.

edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:
    Any chance they'll make it to Fast Grab before retiring?

probably not fast grab but i'll see if I can get the price knocked down a bit.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

just clearing out the old..making way for the new, these are very,very old products that are not a good advertisement for the quality one should expect from my store.
    I've had a few product culls in the past but some people were upset I didn't give any warning before removing them.

Makes sense.

[Tongue-in-Cheek]
    On the other hand maybe the executive board of the multi-billion dollar DAZ corporation are missing out on the opportunity to introduce a new "DAZ Budget" range of older products at knock down prices!

Let's see. How about "Buy 3 get 2" multiplied by a random fraction of the distance from the Earth to the Sun at the time the purchase is made, earning an unspecified number of "Budget Bonus Points", dependent upon the direction El Nino is blowing, all handily summarized in a growing rose bush graphic where the number of flowers on the bush indicates the number of points held. Points can then be redeemed on any DAZ Budget range product provided the name of the product contains at least two letters formed from a subset of the current highest NYSE performing stock in the three weeks prior to redeeming the coupon.

Something simple and easy to understand.
    [/Tongue-in-Cheek]

But ... then again ... yes ... maybe retiring them is a better option.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited December 1969

It would be nice to see some kind of clearance sale or a bundle on these. I'm absolutely sure that there's a texture set that someone made for the Display Room that turns it into something entirely different, though I'm drawing a blank on who and what at the minute.

Personally, I've never been crazy about the idea of retiring models, as it's quite frustrating to come across a piece of work and want to pick up an asset that was used in it only to discover it's no longer available. And while these may no longer be up to your own current standard, they're certainly still better than a lot of newer commercial products that are up at some other sites. Lord knows, I've found myself using assets created for V1, Posette and the Dork often enough when they're the only thing that vaguely meets my needs and I've got a tight deadline.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

acanthis said:

Makes sense.

[Tongue-in-Cheek]
    On the other hand maybe the executive board of the multi-billion dollar DAZ corporation are missing out on the opportunity to introduce a new "DAZ Budget" range of older products at knock down prices!

Let's see. How about "Buy 3 get 2" multiplied by a random fraction of the distance from the Earth to the Sun at the time the purchase is made, earning an unspecified number of "Budget Bonus Points", dependent upon the direction El Nino is blowing, all handily summarized in a growing rose bush graphic where the number of flowers on the bush indicates the number of points held. Points can then be redeemed on any DAZ Budget range product provided the name of the product contains at least two letters formed from a subset of the current highest NYSE performing stock in the three weeks prior to redeeming the coupon.

[/Tongue-in-Cheek]

I'm quoting you ... this is precious :-)

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

I think that's spoken like someone that strives for perfection, I like that.

Not sure I agree about the PC items though, I find your PC items fantastic quality and value, and anything that comes out in the PC with your moniker on it gets my attention.

Bear in mind before you do this that there are always new users, and new users want low cost, good quality props and environments, which your PC items provide in abundance, even if you personally think they may be a little frayed around the edges now.

Much respect,
    Barry.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I do agree with that about the PC items, they get used quite regularly in my renders, and are very useful on occasion.

edited December 1969

it's not my call on the pclub models and I doubt they'll go,

.for the retiring models listed above I've asked them to be re-priced at the lowest possible amount,that should happen in a few hours

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited October 2013

Can I ask you what sort of timescale were looking at, at the reduced price, before they go?

Will they be revamped like The Dark Star?

Post edited by none01ohone on
    edited October 2013

a little over a month..

and not planning to re-do any of them specifically...

..except for one

Post edited by Stonemason on
  • none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Hmmm. Hehe.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I can completely understand this and I would do the same if in the same position as you Stefan. Your more recent products really show how far you have come since you made those products.
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

I must admit that for some reason I've never seen The Whispering Wall before. And even if it's not up to Stonemason's today's standards, I love the idea behind the item.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

(might also try and get some of my older plat club models retired(or at least my name removed),have to bribe daz first on those ones though)

First: thank you for the warning!

Second: don't try - PC members are known to raise h.ll if PC items are retired.
    We were promised that the catalogue of PC items will stay and no items retired.
    You don't want Daz3d to get the flak and PC members leaving, I think.
    It has happened before.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Yeah, PC items should stay in PC, please.

edited December 1969

An idea for the PC items: could you ask Daz3d to remove your name as the creator for those items you don't like anymore?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

He did give having his name removed as his fall back option.

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

DAZ3D, and "Alan Smithee". Works in movies anyway. :-)

edited December 1969

heh,they should make an Alan Smithee category for the ones no one wants to admit to :)

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

heh,they should make an Alan Smithee category for the ones no one wants to admit to :)

It can be a solution.
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

It can be a solution.

At least until an "Alan Smithee" shows up ...

edited December 1969

I didn't get to checkout yesterday ... luckily! Oh wow ... those prices!
    THANK YOU!

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

for the retiring models listed above I've asked them to be re-priced at the lowest possible amount,that should happen in a few hours

Thanks for that. Now I've saved up more for buying other Stonemason products.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited October 2013

acanthis said:

Makes sense.

[Tongue-in-Cheek]

[/Tongue-in-Cheek]

:bug: DUDE! You just gave away the world's most deeply guarded secret--the Climate Change calcs!! You'd better catch the first flight to Moscow, if you know what's good for you--Anonymous will by hunting you down for this :ohh:
    Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • Kevin RyeKevin Rye Posts: 392
    edited December 1969

I get it too. I do the same thing every time I release a new iOS app. I look back at my old stuff and think, "Sheesh! I can't believe I released that rubbish!" and I kill it from the store. As with anything, looking back at your old stuff makes you wonder what you were thinking.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

or turn that into a positive and think how far you have come since then. ;)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

ryemac3 said:
    I get it too. I do the same thing every time I release a new iOS app. I look back at my old stuff and think, "Sheesh! I can't believe I released that rubbish!" and I kill it from the store. As with anything, looking back at your old stuff makes you wonder what you were thinking.
    Oh man; if I took down applications I've built when I realized they weren't up to my current coding standards I'd have thousands of users howling for my blood. Software's different from 3D Content, though.

I actually think there may be a few PC items that already have had names removed from them to protect the...let's say innocent. :)

-- Morgan