I lost my Metadata. Solved!

TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,008
edited October 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

OK, I stupidly uninstalled my CMS and now I can't figure out where to get it so I can reinstall it and get it running. Please help.

Post edited by TJohn on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

CMS is usually part of the DS4.6 application, and is installed as part of that.

Just reinstall DAZ Studio, and CMS should be installed along with it.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

If you have DIM a separate installer for CMS can be found in a sub-folder labelled "CMS" inside the folder DIM is installed to.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,008
    edited October 2013

Thanks, I found it and got it to reinstall, but now I have to start it manually. And all my Content Library is there in DS, but the Smart Content is gone.
    The CMS was starting up by itself and always running in the background before.
    When I exit DS, the CMS stops running.

Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

My Content Library still works, and I wasted all day trying to get my Metadata to come back, but no dice. I give up.

Thanks for your help.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here tjohn just do this, to get the Metadata back, and then in Task manager Find the Content Management Service and SET it to Run at system boot.

Capture-002.png
    289 x 266 - 23K
    Capture-001.png
    396 x 372 - 17K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Here tjohn just do this, to get the Metadata back, and then in Task manager Find the Content Management Service and SET it to Run at system boot.

Jade: OK, I did that and CMS is running at boot up.
    And as soon as I double-click on the DS 4.6 icon "Running" changes to "Stopped" every time. Something is interfering with these two things running at the same time. And although I can change the State back to running, it still won't display the Metadata.
    Something is borked, my friend. :)
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Check your Anti Virus software, it is most often the issue. Be sure the CMS is allowed as a process at all times.

I'm at a loss as to why metadata did not import if the CMS was on when you ran the import. I will look up some old info on it and get back to you as soon as I have another idea for you.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Jaderail said:

Jade: OK, I did that and CMS is running at boot up.
    And as soon as I double-click on the DS 4.6 icon "Running" changes to "Stopped" every time. Something is interfering with these two things running at the same time. And although I can change the State back to running, it still won't display the Metadata.
    Something is borked, my friend. :)

That sounds like a corrupt database. Try going to the folder with the database files and removing the .idx file, with the CMS stopped, then restart the CMS and launch DS - does it then work? If not it's probably going to be necessary to reset the database and reimport the metadata.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Hi tjohn, this happened to me and after much searching I did what Richard suggested...delete the content database and once I restarted cms and studio all was working as it should. I tried several other things but this is the only thing that reset it

edited December 1969

Great advice guys, and I wish I had come back here to look first, but here's what I did:
    Contacted Norton Support and worked with them online and they turned Norton off. Nope.
    Then they completely uninstalled Norton, and the problem remained. So, not the anti-virus.
    Norton reinstalled, and then I thought about it for a while.
    It occurred to me that one of the things I had tried was "Reimport Old Content Database" (I'm probably not getting the wording correct on that, but I've got a render working right now, so DS is not accessible at the mo.) and when I tried that I kept getting an error.
    Suddenly I had a "forehead slapping" moment. The old content database was corrupt, so DS couldn't read it or rebuild it (duh).
    Scanning the C drive for "database" led me right to the file you mention, which I deleted.
    Fired up DS and then proceded to follow Jade's instructions again and voila! 4 hours later (I've got a lot of Content. LOL) my Content Library/Products and Categories lists were all back, including my precious Smart Content.
    As to why I didn't save myself all the trouble I went through instead of coming back here first?
    The past 2 days were some long days at the Dr's office, followed by long periods of similar RL stuff.
    I did the Norton stuff and the rest in my spare time before getting back to the DAZ threads tonight.
    I'll change the title to reflect that the solution to this particular problem is contained herein.

A BIG thanks to all who took the time to help me!
    John

• edited December 1969

An semi related question.
    I have to reinstall windows and wonder how to keep metadata/ smart content and other stuff.

Do not want to reinstall all content if it can be avoided, will installing daz studio and then restore the file backup for the DAZStudio4 folder work or is it other stuff from outside the DAZStudio4 folder who will mess up, not sure how the install metadata function work but if its an database inside DAZStudio4 file restore should work.