Can't install characters for Genesis/V5

Hi. I have DAZ Studio, Genesis, Evolution Body & Head Morphs, and Victoria 5 installed. I'm trying to install characters like Tori and Gabi for V5, but every time I try, I get the following:

"Tori for V5" is an add-on for "DAZ Studio 4 (Genesis), Genesis Evolution: Body Morphs, Genesis Evolution: Head Morphs, Victoria 5" and they must be installed in the same location.
Please choose a different install location or install the required products first.

I install all of my stuff to C:\Users\Jimmy\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library, which I believe is the default location.

I've tried installing/reinstalling all of the required products to this location, but it's the same result every time.
Is there something I'm doing wrong, or some other way around this or to `force' an install...?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Try getting a fresh download - I would have thought you had the required products, but the original installers did have a problem in the product they checked for. If you use the Install Manager you shouldn't have any problems, or you can manually unzip and move the files and folders from the Content folder into the My Library folder.

• edited December 1969

Try getting a fresh download - I would have thought you had the required products, but the original installers did have a problem in the product they checked for. If you use the Install Manager you shouldn't have any problems, or you can manually unzip and move the files and folders from the Content folder into the My Library folder.

Sorry, kind of a nub here... How do I use the Install Manager to install files I've already downloaded? Or can you only use it to re-download files you've already downloaded...?

More importantly, how do you manually unzip and move the files and folders? That sounds like it'd be brilliant! thx!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Just download the files with DIM. Go to your downloads folder that you are pointing DIM to and unzip as you normally would. You will need to take the files out of the extra content folder

• edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Just download the files with DIM. Go to your downloads folder that you are pointing DIM to and unzip as you normally would. You will need to take the files out of the extra content folder

So when DIM downloads content, it downloads them as zip files instead of exe? Is there no way to extract from the exe's (or, like I said, `force' the exe to install...) so I don't have to redownload everything...?

edited December 1969

.exe's were done away with. You can either download from your product library or from DIM but it will be in zip in both places

• edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    .exe's were done away with. You can either download from your product library or from DIM but it will be in zip in both places

Well, that's more than a little disconcerting. (For the now-obsolete exe files obviously, not the zip files moving forward.) There should at least be a way to `override' the exe's now or extract them in a another way without being forced to redownload everything, especially if they've been rendered obsolete.

Ah well. Thanks anyway.

edited December 1969

Do you plan on using the My Library folder or the DIM default Library? It is strongly suggested that you use hte default location. If you install over previous installs (however unlikely) it may cause issues with your content

• edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Do you plan on using the My Library folder or the DIM default Library? It is strongly suggested that you use hte default location. If you install over previous installs (however unlikely) it may cause issues with your content

Well, I've been trying to look into it, and from what I'm understanding, by default, content used to install to:
    C:\Users\Jimmy\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library
    But now DIM extracts to:
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D

So correct me if I'm wrong, but it's starting to sound like not only am I going to have to redownload all of the exe installers that won't install because they're unable to locate already installed content properly, but if I want to use DIM, it's highly recommended that I redownload ALL of my content in order to have it reinstalled to the new default directory...

edited December 1969

DIM installs to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library unless you change it. If you want DIM to notify you of any updates that may occur then you'll need to re-download everything

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The point I think has been over looked is this. The Figures your trying to install needed the Updated versions of the files you owned. They are not only updated but also only in zip format now. Without updating your older files your not going to be able to install those newer character files. Exe is simply no longer a option as DAZ 3D has gone to the industry standard of Zip for content just like most other content providers.

• While it's true that old content needs to point to the original directory structure, you can "Fake" it.  If you can copy your whole install directory out to an external, just to hold it for a moment, you can install all your old content, move it and then use a win-merge utility or place the files by hand, right back into your directory.  It works like this... ...You install an old copy of the software, then install all your old characters.  Then you take that install directory, and check the folder names.  Now you'll need to make them match those of the newer program, but if you use a win-merge utility that you can find on the internet for merging folder contents, you won't have much trouble at all if you turn off the case sensitivity.  Once the files are merged into your new directory structure, you can reinstall your new copy of DAZ3d, set up your content directory, move your directory from an external back into place.  DO NOT REMOVE THE DEFAULT DIRECTORY FOR YOUR OLD FILES.  You will have to do the following if you want this to continue to function without a lot of problems.  You'll need to learn how to create a SYMLINK, which is similar to a shortcut, but has a bonus--I can create a shortcut that acts like a folder in that location, but activates the file in the original location in memory, which essentially runs a search for the file and returns an error with apps; but a SYMLINK or symbolic link has the bonus feature that it sets up a pointer to the physical starting memory on your disk as the first block of the file, but from within your current folder in memory, appearing to apps as though the file is actually in that folder (This could be a link to another folder, or a link to an app, almost exactly like a shortcut, but it cannot run arguments to the startup of apps in the command line like a shortcut).  Heres what you need to do... ...You need to create a list of the directory structures your old install uses.  You then have a choice.  The new Zip files used by the DIM are not case Sensitive when they move files.  The old EXE's however are very case sensitive.  You can make your new content directory names match those of your old, or you can simply go to the deapest points in your old content default, and only symlinking those folders that don't match for a name, but this can break if the outer folder doesn't match either, or it will require you to place the symlink into your new content directory and then symlink an outer folder...  Tedious and useless.  The best way is to rename the folders in your new directory to match the old for upper\lowercase letters, then symlink the main outer folders only.  Make sure to compare the names of the actual files for the base models you install and the building blocks of other shapes you have to install by the EXE method.  You may have to add symlinks for those files in your new content folders that match up with the old content names, that way old installers will find the correct file names and install to your new content directory.  As you symlink each folder in your old directory, delete the counterpart so there is only one copy.  Done and Done.  It's a bit of a convoluted way to get your stuff back, but it works.

• While it's true that old content needs to point to the original directory structure, you can "Fake" it.  If you can copy your whole install directory out to an external, just to hold it for a moment, you can install all your old content, move it and then use a win-merge utility or place the files by hand, right back into your directory.  It works like this... ...You install an old copy of the software, then install all your old characters.  Then you take that install directory, and check the folder names.  Now you'll need to make them match those of the newer program, but if you use a win-merge utility that you can find on the internet for merging folder contents, you won't have much trouble at all if you turn off the case sensitivity.  Once the files are merged into your new directory structure, you can reinstall your new copy of DAZ3d, set up your content directory, move your directory from an external back into place.  DO NOT REMOVE THE DEFAULT DIRECTORY FOR YOUR OLD FILES.  You will have to do the following if you want this to continue to function without a lot of problems.  You'll need to learn how to create a SYMLINK, which is similar to a shortcut, but has a bonus--I can create a shortcut that acts like a folder in that location, but activates the file in the original location in memory, which essentially runs a search for the file and returns an error with apps; but a SYMLINK or symbolic link has the bonus feature that it sets up a pointer to the physical starting memory on your disk as the first block of the file, but from within your current folder in memory, appearing to apps as though the file is actually in that folder (This could be a link to another folder, or a link to an app, almost exactly like a shortcut, but it cannot run arguments to the startup of apps in the command line like a shortcut).  Heres what you need to do... ...You need to create a list of the directory structures your old install uses.  You then have a choice.  The new Zip files used by the DIM are not case Sensitive when they move files.  The old EXE's however are very case sensitive.  You can make your new content directory names match those of your old, or you can simply go to the deapest points in your old content default, and only symlinking those folders that don't match for a name, but this can break if the outer folder doesn't match either, or it will require you to place the symlink into your new content directory and then symlink an outer folder...  Tedious and useless.  The best way is to rename the folders in your new directory to match the old for upper\lowercase letters, then symlink the main outer folders only.  Make sure to compare the names of the actual files for the base models you install and the building blocks of other shapes you have to install by the EXE method.  You may have to add symlinks for those files in your new content folders that match up with the old content names, that way old installers will find the correct file names and install to your new content directory.  As you symlink each folder in your old directory, delete the counterpart so there is only one copy.  Done and Done.  It's a bit of a convoluted way to get your stuff back, but it works.

I'm not sure what this trying to achieve or why - you can just point daz studio to a copy of your existing older content directory, no need to move or merge or fiddle with links.

I'm not sure what this trying to achieve or why - you can just point daz studio to a copy of your existing older content directory, no need to move or merge or fiddle with links.

You can do so, but if you need to move that directory and you still need to insstall old versions, you are stuck.  Using the links, you don't take up the space, but you keep the logical linkup for some installers.  I've been messing with this as well with V3 and even Miki.  They needed the linkup with the symlinks.  However, I did find something else...  I used a system monitor app and found that the file searched by early V4, and V5 both search for an INI file that's in a default location on the drive, and when you choose to customize the install, it looks for it in the directory you choose, but it isn't always there, especially if you set up a custom location.  The INI file, however, contains the proper install directory if you set it up in DAZstudio.  So for V4 and later, use the DEFAULT settings for the installer.  It will work just fine.  I tested other characters for those forms, and they worked as well.  Im on win10, I've tried running in compatibility etc, but in the end, just used the default to try it.

• ExP items work fine in non-default locations. Each one does, however, need to have its consituent parts in the same content directory (though diffrent figures can use different directories). Pretty well all content is created to work with the content directory/external Runtime placed anywhere - it's the locations within the content directory that matter.

• pirozzamankhanpirozzamankhan Posts: 6
    edited January 2020

Hi. I have DAZ Studio, Genesis, Evolution Body & Head Morphs, and Victoria 5 installed. I'm trying to install characters like Tori and Gabi for V5, but every time I try, I get the following:

"Tori for V5" is an add-on for "DAZ Studio 4 (Genesis), Genesis Evolution: Body Morphs, Genesis Evolution: Head Morphs, Victoria 5" and they must be installed in the same location.

Please choose a different install location or install the required products first.

I install all of my stuff to C:\Users\Jimmy\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library, which I believe is the default location.

I've tried installing/reinstalling all of the required products to this location, but it's the same result every time.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong, or some other way around this or to `force' an install...?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Good day, the file that should be installed is named 13453_ToriV5_1.0_trx.exe. When we tried to run the aforementioned file, we got exactly the same message that reported by jammy. I have read the suggestions to Jammy. Apparently, there is no way to install Tori or Gabi for V5 using solutions listed above. Please advise accordingly.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Hi again, the error message is as follows
    1579268432001_error.png
    498 x 207 - 10K
  • How are you installing?

• I am running a file named 13453_toriv5_1.0_trx.exe
  • That's really old, download a fresh zip from your account page>Product Library or install through Daz Studio using the Install pane.

• Thank you.