Moveable keyframes PLEASE.

p.dahl-collinsp.dahl-collins Posts: 0
edited October 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

Pretty much the worst timeline I've ever used. No way to switch the auto bezier to linear (keep feet on the floor, for instance). Just AWFUL.

All that info is in there somewhere - we just can't get at it.

I get annoyed with Daz Studio... leave it for a few weeks. Try it again and within 10 minutes it's annoying me with SOMETHING.

The MOST annoying thing is the lag when letting go of the orbit tool (the cube to move around your scene) - Daz Studio doesn't notice that for half a second, so my mouse cursor is off to do something else but my Studio character has flipped upside down, still attached like it's glued to my pointer. This is exactly the same on two vastly different speed macs. Utterly infuriating. Position something spot on, go up to Render or something and your mouse is still attached to the view - massively annoying if you were on a keyframed camera. It's like Microsoft software in the 90's: shoddy and terrible, let the public do the testing. At least Microsoft corrected stuff. Well, some of it.

As they say, "free" comes at a price. In this case, the cost is your patience with a total sprawling overlapping spiderweb install-mess of a program - I mean the content folder is not entirely all the content - SOME things are outside that in runtimes or IN it in runtimes.

I don't want to know about runtimes! No one does! We want to know about models!

This software got popular too quickly (I am guessing) so the original crappy hierarchy is now just a totally confusing maze of repeat-name folders (everywhere) and general bollocks. Amazing that stuff like this still exists.

It's a really great program at its core but sadly just impossible to use realistically in a workflow. And editing the timeline is STILL totally nonexistent. Ridiculous!

1/5.

3/5 if I could edit timelines even slightly.

5/5 if it was like an actual program you get in 2007 even. ie it is contained within itself and has an interface for all the data and 3rd party data.

Then it would be a market leader, easliy, and even more money from content, with the massive Kudos that the useable app itself is free.

But please, for now, just the very basics: moving a keyframe - that is yer basics in animation, well, after being able to do keyframes in the first place.

So many people would be so happy if you did that.

Daz Studio 4.6 Mac.

10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

Post edited by p.dahl-collins on

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio can and does use one content folder very happily with the Default Runtime inside the DAZ Content folder. But the END user must install the content properly and not assume every installer workers properly for the updated version of the software. Many files are Old and point to the old locations as default but the user CAN control were they go and get them working. All my 4 year plus old files are in my proper folder and working just fine because I pointed them to the proper place as I installed them.
    The New Version of DAZ Studio uses collision on some items at load. There is a progress bar in the lower right of the Viewport that shows the collision update progress when any Posing or positioning of those items takes place. Not letting the update finish before doing other actions can cause errors as you have seen. Collision can be turned on and off so setting it to OFF until your finished working is possible.
    There is a New plugin called KeyMate by GoFigure that gives control of the DAZ Studio timeline Key Frames to the End User.

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

@Jaderail: I bought keyMate, but I cannot find any manual. Not even on the official website. Is there a PDF-file available?

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

@Jaderail: I bought keyMate, but I cannot find any manual. Not even on the official website. Is there a PDF-file available?

It isn't manual but I suppose it serve meanwhile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryUgvapGUG0

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

@gilikshe: Huzzah! Thank you for the video!

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited October 2013

@gilikshe meanwhile what....?

thx for the link though

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • p.dahl-collinsp.dahl-collins Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

Jaderail said:
    But the END user must install the content properly and not assume every installer workers properly for the updated version of the software. Many files are Old and point to the old locations as default but the user CAN control were they go and get them working. All my 4 year plus old files are in my proper folder and working just fine because I pointed them to the proper place as I installed them.

As I suspected. You pretty much proved my point and oddly seem a bit smug about it (or is that just me inferring it?). You can keep your geek-ness. I have neither the time nor inclination to be involved in that. Just make stuff go in the right directories and we are fine. Set up a protocol. You know like Photoshop for instance - that's pretty simple right? plug ins go in the plugins folder and ... that's it.

Works for Apple osx too.... less so on the iPhone's ios, I hear.

Catch up guys, PLEASE.

The original computer rules:

KISS

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Also you had nothing to say about the timeline issue, which this thread is about (I got side-tracked) so maybe address that... (I mean from a Daz perspective - build it in). Ta for the 3rd party - I shall check that.

Incidentally a clean install on a mac gave me a content folder in the USER documents along with a bunch of other folders that are duplicated inside the CONTENT folder. Much as I point my Daz browser to the CONTENT folder it still knows the others are there and will only do some runtimes from those "outside folders". Maybe it's nice on a PC but on a mac it's pretty fkd up as far as I can tell.

I have 30 years of design work from ancient Quark to c4d via all manner of 3d programs. Never liked poser from when it first came out back in 2000 or summat. DS 4.6 is a big mess on my computer. It COULD be so good but no one seems to want to bother. If I had the money I'd buy DS4.6 and do it correctly. I never WANT to use it. I use it because I sometimes HAVE to.

I'd feel embarrassed if that was said about my product, free or paid. It says I have done a bad job.

Not trying to be a bummer but that's my experience with your product. You can defend it but that doesn't fix problems does it?

Post edited by p.dahl-collins on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

I don't work for DAZ3D, I'm just a forum user with Admin status in the Forums.
    At this time KeyMate is the only Timeline key frame editor I have for DAZ Studio, but I do believe there are others. As for Content and the need for users to know some things I point you to PS CS6, as you brought it up. Yes Plugins go in the plugin folder and Free PSD Brushes go in yet another folder. And we have to understand that to get them in the proper place. The same is true with DAZ Studio. The information is posted here on the forums or even given free by other users when asked for. The fact that we do not have up to date documentation for this version is a draw back, but that is slowly being fixed by both DAZ3D and the users. I am by far not a geek, but I have taken the time to learn the in's and outs of my OS and have used DAZ Studio long enough to understand it.
    I did not mean to come across as smug or a smarty pants, I just do not expect everything to be automatic like a App for a smart phone. Load and use is great but everything is made by humans and humans make errors. At this time DAZ3D is updating all the files to one standard. The New DIM (DAZ Install Manager) does a very good job of installing DAZ3D only content. The Older installers were made before this new version of DAZ Studio was thought of or before all the NEW OS's came out. Content is only data but due to some things changing both in the OS's we can now use and the new version of DS we as the end user must learn some things if we want things to work on or PC's That was my point.

EDIT: I have learned all I needed to know about KeyMate from just the YouTube vid and my own testing in DS. It is all easy once you grasp it. Hint check each NODE of your figure in DS, They all set Key frames.
    EDIT here is the BASIC KeyMate Tut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_knWUBOGk

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Virtual MediaVirtual Media Posts: 85
    edited December 1969

It always puzzled me why Daz is always improving and updating nearly all areas of Studio except for the timeline. I don't know if it's been updated in years. I do use Keymate, Graphmate, as well as Animate 2 however they are very limited as well.

Not wanting to come off as a hater here, just seen an opportunity to ask once again... Daz what's up with the timeline?

edited December 1969

It always puzzled me why Daz is always improving and updating nearly all areas of Studio except for the timeline. I don't know if it's been updated in years. I do use Keymate, Graphmate, as well as Animate 2 however they are very limited as well.

Not wanting to come off as a hater here, just seen an opportunity to ask once again... Daz what's up with the timeline?

Exactly.

Glad I am not going mad here expecting the timeline to work rather more usefully than it does. At the moment it seems like it is still in "gimmick" mode from the very early Studio days. It is far from a useful tool. It's not even a tool. It's a thing you can do, so I end up all round the houses, doing an animation in Endorphin, bringing it in as BVH then applying it to genesis (genesis first, then import, actually), then make animate, save the animate.

Then open your chosen model and use the animate (morphs stay intact).

THEN bake THAT to the timeline and export it is FBX for Cinema 4D. It is still incorrect with the scale of movement and every texture is set to default (including 100% transparent) but it's almost working. It is useable if you can be bothered. If you HAVE to be bothered.

Don't get me wrong, I think Daz Studio is brilliant if that's all you use. It IS easy to manipulate a figure with kinetics but most 3D software does that now anyway and c4d lets you paint weight into areas. C4d is not exactly free though. Daz Studio just has too many un-addressed things wrong (especially in animation) that I find it irritating to use rather than fun and inspiring. If anyone thinks it's a great program they've never used anything better... So getting beaten up every day after school was NOT normal? Holy shit I need a word with my manager...

edited December 1969

Jaderail:

"EDIT: I have learned all I needed to know about KeyMate from just the YouTube vid and my own testing in DS. It is all easy once you grasp it. Hint check each NODE of your figure in DS, They all set Key frames.
    EDIT here is the BASIC KeyMate Tut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_knWUBOGk"

Thanks. I'll have a look at that. Sounds as useful (genuinely) as whatsisname's Genesis-animate feet and hip corrector (genuinely really useful).

In the meantime I've found a way to kind of correct all this with the fbx imported into Cinema 4D. I think it works...

All you do is tediously, labouriously, manually key-frame all the corrections. With a cup of tea and a cig (break for lunch) it's done in no time (an hour or two). I do not want to waste 2 hours correcting what could be done easily inside Daz Studio. Hmmm.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    @gilikshe meanwhile what....?

thx for the link though

Meanwhile official product manual is finded.