No ambient value for lights?

elusivealbumselusivealbums Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

In every 3d modeling program I've ever used, there were at least three light types: diffuse, specular, and ambient. However, although I've found several tutorials on how to add even lighting for a scene (3-point lights and all), I'm wondering why there is no ambient light or an ambient value for any of the existing lights. (Ambient light being an even, omnidirectional light source that provides every polygon with at least a minimum amount of lighting value, for those who may not be familiar.)

Am I missing something? Is there a hidden control somewhere that is disabled by default? A setting outside the of the normal "parameters" tab? Adding multiple distant light still tends to give a somewhat uneven lighting level and adds to render time, which is why I'm trying to avoid it for now.

Thanks!

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited October 2013

You'd use something like the UE2 sphere for ambient.

Content Library > Daz Studio Format > Library > Light Presets > Omnifreaker > Uberenvironment.

Double click the !Uberenvironment2 Help icon for the how-to.

/edit
    It's not as accurate as it could/should be though. Take a look here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28358/P15/#422435

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Note that there are quality vs. speed settings when using the UberEnvironment. You will probably want to start out with low quality just to see the effects of the lighting, but then when you get a rough idea, adjust the settings to get rid of the grainy spots that will show up in the shadows using lower quality settings, although this will increase render times.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

There is an ambiant value and color for every surface shader that I've seen for DS It adds a fixed color to the surface and that can be different for every surface. That is more controlable than an ambiant light for the whole scene

As Vaskania said, you can also use Uberenvironement in Ambiant mode and it will give you a constant ambiant light