Images included in tutorials in DAZ Wiki?

Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've been wanting to try some of the Hexagon tutorials in the DAZ Wiki, but it seems that none of the included images in the non-video tutorials can be accessed. I believe the problem is owing to ArtZone being taken down, as that's where the tutorials and images used to be hosted.

Anybody have any idea if they are being hosted somewhere else on the site? I don't mind cutting and pasting the correct link, but I have no idea if those images were moved to an accessible location, or where that location might be.

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    I've been wanting to try some of the Hexagon tutorials in the DAZ Wiki, but it seems that none of the included images in the non-video tutorials can be accessed. I believe the problem is owing to ArtZone being taken down, as that's where the tutorials and images used to be hosted.

Anybody have any idea if they are being hosted somewhere else on the site? I don't mind cutting and pasting the correct link, but I have no idea if those images were moved to an accessible location, or where that location might be.

Hi Miss B, I'm sure that I read somewhere that with forum images it could be done by changing the forums to forumsarchives. I'm not sure if that would work with artzone though...

If you want good Hexagon tutorials I would suggest trying Geekatplay. They have some great video tutorials that are very easy to follow. They were what helped me to get started with it. Were you looking for a tutorial on something specific?

Pen

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited June 2012

Thanks Pen, I have Geek's tuts bookmarked. There was just a couple of the tuts that were originally on ArtZone I'd like to try and can't because of the missing images. Text tutorials are fine, but if the attendant images aren't viewable, that makes it hard to follow.

I'm used to modelling in Blender, but thought I'd try and get used to Hex since I've had it for years and never played in it. The one tut I was interested in that I didn't get a chance to try before AZ was taken down was Samanthie's Unfold and Map -->
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/hexagon/hexagon-misc14
    />

As I mentioned, I'm used to Blender, and Unfolding and UV Mapping just isn't working well for me in Hex, so I figured her tut would be of help, but of course the images aren't viewable.

Thanks for the reply Pen. I may PM Samanthie and see if she has the images for the tut handy, but of course there's no guarantee.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Thanks Pen, I have Geek's tuts bookmarked. There was just a couple of the tuts that were originally on ArtZone I'd like to try and can't because of the missing images. Text tutorials are fine, but if the attendant images aren't viewable, that makes it hard to follow.

I'm used to modelling in Blender, but thought I'd try and get used to Hex since I've had it for years and never played in it. The one tut I was interested in that I didn't get a chance to try before AZ was taken down was Samanthie's Unfold and Map -->
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/hexagon/hexagon-misc14
    />

As I mentioned, I'm used to Blender, and Unfolding and UV Mapping just isn't working well for me in Hex, so I figured her tut would be of help, but of course the images aren't viewable.

Thanks for the reply Pen. I may PM Samanthie and see if she has the images for the tut handy, but of course there's no guarantee.

Geekatplay have a tutorial on UV mapping and creating material zones which is easy to follow. That was how I worked it out so it may be worth a look.
    Good luck with finding the images...

I picked up UVLayout at the start of the year and I know it's expensive but following some of the basic tutorials on their site it was so much easier to use than any other program I've tried once you follow some of the tutorials.

cheers

Pen

edited June 2012

Yes, I looked at that too, but you're right it's a bit pricey. I was thinking of getting UV Mapper Pro, because Classic isn't good for much more than pulling out a template from an obj, and then you really have to know which projection to use. I recently downloaded the UVMapper Pro demo and it has quite a bit more to choose from, so that may be the way I'll go, but it still needs to be Unfolded in Hex, or Unwrapped in Blender, in order to get a good template, and that's what I really want to learn how to do in Hex. I usually do my texturing in Photoshop or Gimp (depending on which computer I'm on at the time). You just can't texture something that isn't mapped well.

I did, thanks to one of Samanthie's other tuts, figure out how to create the materials zones, so that's something if I can just get a handle on creating the seams and such. I'll check out the Geek tut meanwhile and see how that goes.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

If you need help sing out. I'm not an expert but I can do basic uv mapping in Hex.

• RLSprouseRLSprouse Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

Check this thread where Richard explained how to access the images:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2168/

edited December 1969

Check this thread where Richard explained how to access the images:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2168/

Thanks Russ, but that's for images in the forums. I'm talking about images that are part of tutorials in the DAZ Wiki, not the forums. The tutorials used to be part of the old ArtZone site, which doesn't exist any more. The tutorials themselves were moved to the Wiki, but the image links are still to the AZ site, and I'm not sure they moved them anywhere they can be accessed by tweaking the links.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,354
    edited December 1969

They are working on getting those images to work. The images got moved to the new server so they are referencing the wrong area.

• RLSprouseRLSprouse Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

Ah, OK. I didn't test it, but assumed it would work for the Wiki too. Sorry about that!

~ Russ

• Zig ZagZig Zag Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    They are working on getting those images to work. The images got moved to the new server so they are referencing the wrong area.

Well seems to be an abadonned project :-(

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Blender has very good UV mapping tools, why look elsewhere if you are already using Blender? Ask questions over at the Blender Artist's forums.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/

edited October 2013

jestmart said:
    Blender has very good UV mapping tools, why look elsewhere if you are already using Blender? Ask questions over at the Blender Artist's forums.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/

I agree, and do most of my UV unwrapping in Blender when I'm using it. I had installed Hex to play with it, and since it had one or two nice features, I thought it would be a nice alternative, but UV unwrapping in Hex was a mystery to me in June 2012, when I still had it installed on my laptop. I gave up on it quite some time ago because it was too flaky and kept crashing.

Lately I've been playing in Silo, where UV unwrapping was easy enough to figure out without a tutorial. :coolsmirk:

Post edited by Miss B on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Miss B said:
    Lately I've been playing in Silo, where UV unwrapping was easy enough to figure out without a tutorial. :coolsmirk:
    I'm still kicking myself...HARD...for not picking up Silo from the Steam sale. :(

-- Morgan

• Old ArtZone Wiki images missing.....Well it's now 2015 and this issue is still on going....VERY irritating !

What is the point of keeping this help on line if it is missing part of the content?

E.g. this page...sure you can follow the text...but really VERY irritating...

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazstudio/reference/customaction

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    Miss B said:

Yes, I looked at that too, but you're right it's a bit pricey. I was thinking of getting UV Mapper Pro, because Classic isn't good for much more than pulling out a template from an obj, and then you really have to know which projection to use. I recently downloaded the UVMapper Pro demo and it has quite a bit more to choose from, so that may be the way I'll go, but it still needs to be Unfolded in Hex, or Unwrapped in Blender, in order to get a good template, and that's what I really want to learn how to do in Hex. I usually do my texturing in Photoshop or Gimp (depending on which computer I'm on at the time). You just can't texture something that isn't mapped well.

I did, thanks to one of Samanthie's other tuts, figure out how to create the materials zones, so that's something if I can just get a handle on creating the seams and such. I'll check out the Geek tut meanwhile and see how that goes.

Take a look at Roadkill.  Even though it states it's a plugin the Maya version has a stand alone.  It's free and does pelt mapping which UVmapper Pro does not.  UVmapper Pro is a good but it hasn't been updated in some time.  If you are going to put the money into a separate UV mapper, check for demos and try out as many as you can.  I found UV mappers can be as individual as modellers.

http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm ; Link for Roadkill.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Old ArtZone Wiki images missing.....Well it's now 2015 and this issue is still on going....VERY irritating !

What is the point of keeping this help on line if it is missing part of the content?

E.g. this page...sure you can follow the text...but really VERY irritating...

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazstudio/reference/customaction

We are advised that The ArtZone section of the Documentation Center will not be updated in place. At best, its contents will be migrated to the newer structure outside that namespace once it has neen reviewed.

• The status of the old wiki is discussed at length here http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/start ,  which will explain why some aspects of the pages are not working and why they will not be fixed in their current location and form.

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142

...oh good grief, I leave for a while then find I have to return once more for info then discover I'm to be disappointed yet again.