Do not render my model in Carrara or any other software without my permission, WTF?

2»

Comments

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

yes, it was an iclone vendor but not bringing this up to cause issues about them and their software,
    only the concept of models being only for use in one software by demand of their seller
    it is the main reason I do not use very much iClone content in iClone BTW
    I want to use my purchases in ALL my software depending on what I want to do.
    For example, I recently discovered Houdini which has cool fluids and imports Daz figures animated as FBX, (and other inc secret beta stuff) would love to learn how to make fluid sims with them as part of a video, would not render my whole movie in it, just that bit, and so on.

Hi Wendy :)

As you know I am also privy to the thread/forum in question due to being on the Beta testers list. Having read through the whole thread (wow what a `debate`!) I can see that things are getting a little personal over there :(

One thing I will say is that I fully agree with you regarding `content flow` during production.

Some programs (of the lower end budget) do not have all the `tools` needed to complete a project from start to finish inside that single App. To gain the final look of your intened production you need to use various programs, and therefore need to be able to import/export that content from one app to another in the most seemless way possible!

You dont pay road tax on a car for each state you visit do you?

I feel that if you pay for a product/liscence then as a paying customer you should be freely able to use it in ANY program you choose! (as long as you have PAID for the right to do so!, and maybe even give credit where it is due at the end of your production!). This way the seller gets paid for his/her hard work, they get free advertising and their product gets a good reputation via word of mouth right?

Just my view on the subject of some valid (some NOT so valid) worries!

Post edited by Orion_Uk on
  • paulg625paulg625 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Loaar said:
    adzan said:
    It is common in the 3D market place that a license has to be bought for each software program that a model will be used in.
    Many stores will charge a bundle price for a multi use license.
    Even at Daz you are only buying a licence to use a model that has many restrictions on it's use.

Ive seen people only provide one format for a model, and sell other formats (Vue, 3ds etc) as separate products, but I've never seen a licence that forbids the use of a model to only one software. Considering how many software packages come with exporters for various other softwares it all seems a bit stupid.

Maybe I just don't buy enough models from other marketplaces?

IClone is one that requires you to pay a special premium to be able to transport their mesh for use in other rendering type software. Funny thing is Daz products can be used on Iclone with the pipeline program.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

Hi, you sure dug up an old thread!
    and yep even with Pipeline rendering iClone marketplace content in other software not possible without extra cost.
    Fortunately I really see no need to.
    I do use iClone a lot to render stuff I model and rig in Carrara though but Carrara itself gets used just as much.
    All tools in my toolbox are useful.
    Welcome to our forum

edited December 1969

Hi, you sure dug up an old thread!
    and yep even with Pipeline rendering iClone marketplace content in other software not possible without extra cost.
    Fortunately I really see no need to.
    I do use iClone a lot to render stuff I model and rig in Carrara though but Carrara itself gets used just as much.
    All tools in my toolbox are useful.
    Welcome to our forum

Thank you Wendy Catz, Well I got started with Iclone before really discovering Carrara. I love Carrara and I am focusing all my current efforts at learning that. I also am trying to get to know the people here for support and to learn and interact with them.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    adzan said:
    It is common in the 3D market place that a license has to be bought for each software program that a model will be used in.
    Many stores will charge a bundle price for a multi use license.
    Even at Daz you are only buying a licence to use a model that has many restrictions on it's use.

While I've seen the stores that make you purchase each version of a model, Daz does not have as strict restrictions as you might be thinking. The only restriction is that you cannot distribute the mesh. You can import it into any program you damn well please, make animations, 2D art, etc. You can sell your works, but again, as long as you are not distributing the actual mesh. This is why Daz and Rawart have game licenses up for purchase. Games require you to distribute the mesh.

They actually restrict the use of images in 2D games as well, just saying.I was actually initally going to try my hand at 2D game making with the iTorque engine using Daz stuff. I don't mind paying a premium if I made money really. But find it a bit restrictive for the 2D stuff.

edited December 1969

Orion_Uk said:
    yes, it was an iclone vendor but not bringing this up to cause issues about them and their software,
    only the concept of models being only for use in one software by demand of their seller
    it is the main reason I do not use very much iClone content in iClone BTW
    I want to use my purchases in ALL my software depending on what I want to do.
    For example, I recently discovered Houdini which has cool fluids and imports Daz figures animated as FBX, (and other inc secret beta stuff) would love to learn how to make fluid sims with them as part of a video, would not render my whole movie in it, just that bit, and so on.

Hi Wendy :)

As you know I am also privy to the thread/forum in question due to being on the Beta testers list. Having read through the whole thread (wow what a `debate`!) I can see that things are getting a little personal over there :(

One thing I will say is that I fully agree with you regarding `content flow` during production.

Some programs (of the lower end budget) do not have all the `tools` needed to complete a project from start to finish inside that single App. To gain the final look of your intened production you need to use various programs, and therefore need to be able to import/export that content from one app to another in the most seemless way possible!

You dont pay road tax on a car for each state you visit do you?

I feel that if you pay for a product/liscence then as a paying customer you should be freely able to use it in ANY program you choose! (as long as you have PAID for the right to do so!, and maybe even give credit where it is due at the end of your production!). This way the seller gets paid for his/her hard work, they get free advertising and their product gets a good reputation via word of mouth right?

Just my view on the subject of some valid (some NOT so valid) worries!

Oh and one other thing not all of the Artist selling stuff do get a special premium to export stuff from Iclone. Some just charge what you charge when you click on the exportable type license it just changes the agrement to exportable but the price is the same. ( I was messing with IClone when I first returned to working with 3D animation and rendering products.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

no restriction on sprites and 2D renders using Daz content
    there are many games using pocket pets around for example
    they are really just a series of interactive renders used to produce animation using flash etc.

edited October 2013

no restriction on sprites and 2D renders using Daz content
    there are many games using pocket pets around for example
    they are really just a series of interactive renders used to produce animation using flash etc.

Thank you for clarifying that for me Wendy Catz. I hate reading legal jargon my mind drifts away after about the first 5-6 lines then I in al old peanuts cartoon and it's all Bla Bla Bla Bla...

Post edited by paulg625 on