Render nothing like DS image

Sir RenderSir Render Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello,

I have spent hours creating a figure in DS 4.6 Pro using Victoria 4.2 and various props that I have bought. I finally got her looking just the way I wanted her to look. I tried to render her, and in the render she looks about 40 years older than in DS! I thought that maybe the resolution was too low to give detail, so I increased the resolution significantly and she still looks 40 years older. Faint creases become deep shadowed creases. Her skin has spots. What is the use of the software if the render looks nothing like the model?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The DAZ Studio viewport (the part you work in) is only a OpenGL version, run by your graphic's card, to help you SET UP the render. A full quality render uses the 3DeLight render engine and shows the FULL settings that DAZ Studio was told to use. Always do test renders as you work to SEE what your final FULL render will look like.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

What are your render settings and what lighting are you using?

• Sir RenderSir Render Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am using the default render settings, except that I tried increasing the resolution.

I have a distant light set up and a spot light set up.

I understand that DS gives a representation of the scene. But a character should not look 40 years older in the render.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862
    edited December 1969

The preview can't show displacement at all, so that may be a factor. Try going to Edit>Preferences>Interface and turning on Per Pixel Shading, in the OpenGL settings, if you are using the current version of DS.

edited December 1969

The preview can't show displacement at all, so that may be a factor. Try going to Edit>Preferences>Interface and turning on Per Pixel Shading, in the OpenGL settings, if you are using the current version of DS.

I am using the current version, but I have no "Per Pixel Shading" option.

edited October 2013

Then try this as a Fix, It sounds like the Character you are using has a AGE to the texture that loads. In Surfaces look for a Bump or Displacement channel that is set to ON, as in 100% or something, you can turn that setting or settings down or even off and not use them. Just the Skin surface will be used then.

EDIT: A link to what your using would really help us know what is happening.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I am using the current version, but I have no "Per Pixel Shading" option.

4.6.1.17?

PerPixelShading.JPG
    525 x 601 - 56K
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

You may want to familiarize yourself with the "Spot Render" function. You can define a area of your choice by dragging a selection window, it can be faster than a full test render.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Then try this as a Fix, It sounds like the Character you are using has a AGE to the texture that loads. In Surfaces look for a Bump or Displacement channel that is set to ON, as in 100% or something, you can turn that setting or settings down or even off and not use them. Just the Skin surface will be used then.

EDIT: A link to what your using would really help us know what is happening.

The only Bump channel that was set high was "Bump Strength" which was set to 100%.
    Negative Bump, Postive Bump, Displacement Strength, Minimum Displacement, Maximum Displacement were all set low (-0.10 or 0.10).
    I set Bump Strength to zero, but it made no difference.

I tried using OpenGL GLSL for the render, and the render looks exactly like the model in DS. The problem with this is that it is not very good resolution. Increasing the pixel count just make a larger image with the same "Lego block sculpture" look to it.

The problem is with a render from 3Delight.

I would post a screen capture, but the 3Delight takes forever and since the character looks like an old hag, I am not going to wait hours for it to finish just so I can post a screen shot.

I will keep working with it and see if I can solve the problem. I will go back to an unmodified V4.2 model and simply render her and see what she looks like. Maybe the problem is caused by one of the morphs that I applied. If so, I will have to figure out which one causes it.

Thanks everyone.

edited December 1969

I repeat, I do not have a "per pixel shading" option.
    I have attached a screen shot of my Preferences>Interface menu, but for some reason it is not showing in the preview. I don't know if it will be posted or not.

Noname.png
    424 x 513 - 42K
    edited December 1969

Are you sure you have 4.6.1.17? Help>About DAZ Studio.

edited December 1969

I still say a link to the character your trying to render would be a big help all you need to do is Copy the link from your browser and then paste it here. Here is one to a character here on DAZ. http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/monster-classics-the-bride the New Bride.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I still say a link to the character your trying to render would be a big help all you need to do is Copy the link from your browser and then paste it here. Here is one to a character here on DAZ. http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/monster-classics-the-bride the New Bride.

I am trying to render Victoria 4.2 with various bits of clothing and weapons and some body morphs that I purchased through the online store.

The problem has to be one of the morphs that I have applied. I loaded an unmodified V4.2 and she rendered perfectly.
    I began adding morphs and clothing, and each time I added something and rendered, it turned out perfect. Somewhere in all of the morphs, there is one that makes her old in the 3Dlight render but not in DS. I will find it. At least I know what I am looking for now.

I am going back to square one and will start over with a V4.2 model and rebuild her, adding morphs and content and checking the render periodically.

My version is 4.6.0.18
    I just downloaded it a few weeks ago, and I assumed it was the latest. I will check for updates.

Thanks

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Which texture do you have applied to Vic 4.2?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

The problem is gone. I think it was one of the muscle morphs that I applied. I started over and recreated my model and used fewer morphs, and now she renders perfectly and looks like a higher quality version of the image in DS.

Thanks for all of your help. I would have just thrown in the towel a while ago without it.

• Leo ChenLeo Chen Posts: 697
    edited December 1969

After adjusting the preference of DAZ, a disaster happened to me!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33010

edited November 2013

After adjusting the preference of DAZ, a disaster happened to me!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33010

Please do not post multiple posts about the same problem. That will only confuse us who are trying to help you in the thread you have posted.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Leo ChenLeo Chen Posts: 697
    edited December 1969

OK.
    Thank you, Jaderail.