Downloads failing to complete for the last few days

AethyrAethyr Posts: 91
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I picked up a couple of items that were on sale/special offer (the Unshaven Body Hair for Genesis, and the Steam Aircraft Dragon), and I've been unable to download them; in fact, I've had to reset the downloads several times to no avail.

Every time, and this happens in both Firefox and Chrome, the download gets part way then stalls and won't continue. Firefox comes up with an error along the lines of "[Filename] could not be downloaded because the source file could not be read."

Are there some server issues going on? I've not had a problem downloading from elsewhere, and have bought downloadable items from other sites with no trouble, so I don't think it's on my end.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

When a download has started. what ever part has already downloaded will be in your cache. So once you have had a download fail clear the cache befroe attempting to download again, as otherwise it will keep stalling at roughly the same place in the download.

• AethyrAethyr Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Finally managed to get this to let me reply.

Anyway, I've cleared the browser cache, and the file downloads just stall at a different point. This is on both Chrome and Firefox, latest versions.

It's been like this for a week now and I haven't had trouble downloading from any other site, even files of several hundred meg. Given that I've not had problems anywhere else, this would lead me to think it's something wrong with Daz's site, and there's stuff I need to download for contests I want to enter that have a deadline.

I've had a support ticket sitting there but nothing's apparently been done. I can't download ANY of the content I've paid for.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,668
    edited December 1969

Are you using any kind of download accelerator?

• AethyrAethyr Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Nah, no download accellerator here. I'm not sure if it still says not to use them on the downloads page, but I remember that being a notice on the old site. Not that I tend to use them anyway, but still.

Puzzled why the downloads invariably stall, at seemingly random points. Maybe a network error somewhere between here and Daz? I'll see if I can do a tracert but there's not likely to be much anyone can do if there's a problem at some midpoint.

edited December 1969

It is really very strange. I have prurchased and downloaded several items today, including one which was 99mb, and I am using a rather elderly and underpowered machine and live in a part of the UK where the broadband is not all that brrlliant 1mb/s if I am lucky.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited July 2012

I'm finding them to be VERY slow. They do complete ... about 1/2 hour later ... which is about 27 minutes longer than it should take. FF

[and to remember there could still be some power lines down here and there ... those were some very nasty storms across the continent that happened]

Post edited by patience55 on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

Are you sure it isn't your ISP? My downloads are only taking about 10 sec each.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Are you sure it isn't your ISP? My downloads are only taking about 10 sec each.

Actually I had called them to check, and no it's not them. Nothing wrong with their connections, etc. I know a downed powerline can wreak havoc with these things though and quite possible there's still one to fix "someplace" south of the border. [presumably my ISP would know of any north of]

edited December 1969

When I get a slow down it is usually a general slowdown on everything, not just on downloading. As I said I am in an area where the broadband is not of the best quality.

Have you tried resetting your router or modem. I had a real slowdown a couple of days ago, and I reset my modem and then forced a reset on my IP as well., having first checked with my ISP that there were no known issues in my area.

I have a dynamic IP. I have to admit I am not sure if you can do a similar forced IP change on a static IP., but this did speed my internet connection up on everything.

• boobunnyboobunny Posts: 8
    edited October 2012

I am having the same problem. They stall and do not complete the download. I even ran out of downloads attempts trying to get them to download the other night.

And now it is doing it again with other products that I purchased tonight.

Not sure if it matters, but the ones I had problems with are Saba'a AlKair and Sultan for Classic Fantasy: Persian Fable.

I have not had this happen anywhere but here.

Post edited by boobunny on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

The problem is in the cache provider. If you are able to get the file down fast enough you won't have a problem. As an example, I was trying to download "Ashley for M5" which is in the 195M range. On a standard DSL it would crap out at anywhere from 65-120M. This was on several (7 to be exact) ISPs and Providers in several cities on seven different computers running OS's ranging from Windows through MacOS to Linux. I went though 2 reset series. On the last attempt I used an ultra-high speed connection and was able to download the file on the first try.

It seems that the refresh time on the cache provider is not long enough for larger file sizes. If you happen to hit the refresh interval during your download, it will end. Sometimes it will act as if it is the end of the file (no error), sometimes you will get a failure that the file no longer exists at the source, and sometimes you will get a timeout.

I blame cloudflare. They've been having problems: http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/15/its-outage-week-cloudflare-went-down-this-morning/

Kendall

• erostewerostew Posts: 214
    edited December 1969

Apparently they started using Cloudflare to help with other issues and for a lot of people it has just made it worse. I've been trying to download the beta of 4.5 for 4 days now with no luck. I even tried Taozen's downloader thingy and just get errors like this: ERROR!: -2146232800 = System.IO.IOException: Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream. at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at ContentDownloaderDAZ.frmMain.DownloadFile() - file not saved

edited December 1969

There is a post from DAZ_BFurner here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8818/#117690 if you are a PC member, if not I have copied it over here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8784/#117701

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I've purchased quite a few items in the last couple of days and was tearing my hair out in frustration as none of the files downloaded properly. Finally, I got wind of Taozen's wonderful fix:

http:/taosoft.dk/software/3dcdl-daz/updates/ContentDownloaderDAZ_TEMP_FIX.zip

Worked like a charm the very first time! Highly recommended!!

• edited December 1969

I cant finish a single one.....anyone else having this problem?

edited December 1969

THere are threads all over the place about this issue. see this one http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8784/#117701

I am going to merge this post with the other thread in this forum about download problems , which was just below your post.