Michael 4 base and studioCF questions

dholmdholm Posts: 115
edited December 1969 in New Users

What is the difference between Michael 4 base and Micheal 4 base studioCF?

How do I fix the problem with StudioCF I think it is a file missing?

Comments

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684
    edited December 1969

An answer I copied from an oldere post by Chohole:
    "a Poser CF or companion file is the file that poser users need in order to use the Core file with DSON."
    Hope it helps :)

• dholmdholm Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Thank you Estroyer. I do not use Poser so I do not need to fix or worry abut th StudoCF.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Presumably, as you need the Poser CF file to use Genesis in Poser, then there is a reason for the StudioCF that facilitates using M4 in DS

However, as I don't use DS I do not know the answer to your question. But hang around I am sure there will be someone come along in a bit that can help you.

edited December 1969

Thank you that would explain why I have it in the first place.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited October 2013

If you are a DAZ Studio user, you need the StudioCF installer. (CF means Companion File, btw..) Typically they contain optimized material presets for DAZ Studio, though I've seen lights and poses in the installer on occasion, but mostly you'll find materials. The actual model files will be found in the Poser Format's library.

The StudioCF files will install in your DAZ Studio Formats library. The Michael 4 Base StudioCF files are shown in the picture below.

PoserCF are needed only if you're using DAZ content with the Poser program and the DSON importer for Poser. If you're installing with DIM and only have DAZ Studio selected in the download filter, you'll never see the PoserCF installers in your Ready to Download tab.

ScreenShot003.jpg
    1132 x 578 - 65K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Lindsey. I only use DAZ Studio. I have a hard time learning this software let alone two. So I need to learn a little more about DIM. I need to learn about installing items from other sites as their are a lot of great things on other sites.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Something is off on your content installs. The yellow ! means the file or files are Orphaned in DAZ Studio. Which means that DS is not reading the files properly. Are they installed to the same location, content folder, the M4 base files are Installed to?

edited December 1969

Jaderail .DIM installed them and it was part of the Studio software. If I did want to fix it or if I see anymore that came with Studio I would have to uninstall and reinstall Studio? I read something about turning off or uninstall CMS. I would have to turn that off or uninstall that too? to fix my problem? If it show up that was something I bought at the store then I would just uninstall and reinstall that item and not mess with CMS? So far I have not used M4 is it ok not to fix it if I do not use him or does is mess other things up?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

In your product library, under Michael 4, you will see:
    Michael 4 Base 13.01 MB
    Michael 4 Base StudioCF 87.25 KB
    Michael 4 Base PowerLoader 63.98 KB
    Michael 4 Base Puppeteer StudioCF

So I'm not sure what that PowerLoader thingie is, but perhaps that has something to do with it too? Which of these got installed? If you want to manually do it, extract the files (you do not drag over the manifest file, that is for the DIM to use. Just the Content, etc) and drag over to My Library/wherever you have your files. When you do this, have the studio turned OFF, and when you open it up again, be sure the Content Management Service is running so the new files are installed.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

Tip: Un-installing DAZ Studio has not one thing to do with content installations. The content is in a totally different folder and only seen by DAZ Studio and the CMS when you, the user, points the DAZ Studio program to the Content folder. Un-installing DAZ Stuido is only needed when a NEW version of DAZ Studio is installed or the program gets a update, at that time the CMS should be Stopped and Un-installed also. It can not and will not FIX Content ERRORS to re-install DAZ Studio unless your download had a error.

The way content is installed, the place it is installed to and if the path or paths to the content is listed in the DAZ Studio preferences is all that handles content errors. If the CMS is not running the content will still work in the Content Library Tab, not Smart Content, as long as all of the above is correct.

Example of a possible cause of the Error you have: M4 installed to the default My Library folder DAZ Studio created at install and the M4 Morph set being installed in the Default folder, My DAZ 3D Library, that the DIM creates. One thing many users do not understand is the Content folders and that Some Figures (Gen4's, M4, V4 and Genesis shapes) must all be in the SAME folder to work. I fixed All my issues by using DIM to install EVERYTHING to one big Folder and having DAZ Studio only use that ONE folder for all my content.

I'm a Advanced user and understand the path needs so I can and DO have other content folders. For users that are not fully up to speed I strongly suggest one single Content folder until the way it works is understood.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

All I know is (and from my numerous posts, you're aware) is that re-installing the studio is sometimes the ONLY way that fixes my frozen studio, my missing Smart Content, the Content Library gone whacky- and I had not ONE whit of a problem with version 4.5, manually extracting and installing all my files the EXACT same way to the same path. Perhaps something else is kicking in, who knows.