Texture Lines on Brock

texjonestexjones Posts: 0
edited December 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

I asked about this once before about to get rid of those texture lines around his legs and especially his head and hair. I got it fixed by taking the skin maps into Photoshop and applying the smoother, softening and expanding the edges just a bit. Then bringing that back onto Brock and the lines are gone.
Hope that helps someone else with the same problem. I adjusted the render editor over and over trying to find the right levels, but all you gotta do is fix the edges in Photoshop.

Post edited by texjones on

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I can't see what you're talking about in your render.... are you talking about seams?

• texjonestexjones Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

The render is with the applied smoothed skin I did in Photoshop. Otherwise, everytime I rendered Brock you see the green texture lines around his thighs and especially around the hair and sometimes around his face. As I said, I have gone through the render editor settings SO many times trying to figure out to get rid of them. But all I did now was take the skin map into Photshop and smooth out the edges. It still helps to keep the shading rate down.
    This is the original figure before I applied the smoothing, even in dimmer lights and the shade rating down those lines around his thighs and his head are there. I HATED that.

old_original_brock.png
    550 x 412 - 65K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,668
    edited December 1969

The trouble is that does blur the textures slightly - the fix of adjusting the maximum texture size and shading rate should avoid the issue without blurring.

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

I just had the exact same issue with a V4 texture on genesis, right at the line between the legs and the torso. I was using SSS so I got a different colour but the seam looks the same. What's the settings for shading rate and texture size that I need to change? I was using a shading rate of 0.10 but there was UE in the scene, I seem to recall that I'd tried dropping it's shading rate from 8 down to 0.10 as well and did a test but didn't have any luck so I'm wondering where the texture size setting is so I can try that.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,668
    edited December 1969

IN DS there isn't an equivalent of the Max texture size setting, and .1 for Shading rate should be fine. What are your other settings? And ddi you check that Geensis was using the V4 UV set - if it didn't switch, for soem reason, from a different set seams would result - go to the Surfaces pane, with Genesis selected, and for each material zone check that the UV Set matches the character the textures were made for.

edited December 1969

I had double checked the UV maps, one thought that occurred to me is I'm using UberSurface2 on all of the skin surfaces and that lets you set a shading rate override. I wasn't playing with that at all but I should double check that it hasn't been changed. I'd also already double checked that everything was in the same SSS group in case that was doing it.

The 2 things I'm thinking of trying next will be to try a different texture in case that's the issue and try the same surface settings on a base V4 morphed Genesis in case it's do to the shaping.

edited December 1969

Sub Surface Group fixed this issue for me, assuming it's the same issue.

I set all the skin material groups and the lacrimal to the same Sub Surface Group (in my case, group 2). That tells 3Delight to treat all those surfaces as a single surface, and it solved lines on the joints between the neck-head and limbs-torso that should otherwise not be there.

I have that set in my materials in this file:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/66225/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Skin-Material-for-Black-and-White-Skin-(DS4.5)

edited December 1969

Darn, not SSS group, both zones are group 1. Here's the image (finally on the right system), really happy with how the skin is looking except for that silly line between SkinHip and SkinLeg.

Full-body-1.jpg
    319 x 1200 - 79K
    edited December 1969

interesing... I'm out of ideas. The only thing I could suggest is for you to save your materials as afile and send that out... replace all the textures with Lana textures and that way the file will come in without issues for whosever helping you.

edited December 1969

Okay, there's definitely something out of whack in my surfaces settings. The original textures are from Dublin, i tried reloading the original pose on the figure, I see the seam. I tried undoing all of my morphs and just dialing up V4, still see the seam. I deleted my Genesis figure and started with a new Genesis figure morphed to V4, loading up the original texutres, no seam. I then loaded my materials presets onto that figure, the seams came back.

So, that at least is telling me that I'm missing something in my settings for the surfaces, back to the digging.

edited December 1969

Eureka! Apparently I'd somehow accidentally used the head specular map for the ambient and specular strength. Weird that I only saw the seems in that one spot but easy enough to fix once I found it.

edited December 1969

Yah, that kind of thing has happened to me before! One little setting messes everything up! Glad to hear you got it solved.

edited December 1969

Yeah, i both feel stupid for missing that and happy for it being such a simple fix. FYI wancow, your SSS thread is what started me on this whole process with this image. It was just the inspiration I needed to really start playing with the different surface settings to see what I could get, and as I said earlier, I'm really happy with the results.

edited December 1969

That makes me very happy! I know for fact we can get good results out of 3Delight, it's just a matter of the lot of us understanding it...

edited December 1969

Agreed, even just digging into the basic DAZ shader can really improve the results, but if you go a little further and start playing with HSS or US then you can really start getting some great images. It can be a little frustrating when stuff doesn't just work out of the box, but especially when you're taking Poser MATs, a little adjusting goes a long way.

edited December 1969

Just so you know, I'm a huge fan of the Lana and Jeremy specularity maps. I think those things are amazing when it comes to applying not only Spec, but SSS, Ambiance and Transluscency.

edited December 1969

Dublin comes with her own spec maps so I used those instead, but did follow your advice of using them in the ambiance channel as well. I tried them in the SSS channel too but found that was limiting the effect too much so I did some digging through my runtime and came up with Muirenne's SSS mats, which worked nicely.

Out of curiosity, are you also using translucency when using SSS? I was under the impression it was meant to be more like one or the other.

edited December 1969

I never use Transluscency and SSS together... I did a lot of experimenting and they seem to cancel each other out... though I'm not sure.

edited December 1969

Thanks, that confirms what I thought but hadn't tested yet.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    I never use Transluscency and SSS together... I did a lot of experimenting and they seem to cancel each other out... though I'm not sure.

If you have the light levels right...then together they give you that nice, lovely Chernobyl glow...especially if you go with a light blue-green color for translucency.

SSS is a 'translucency' effect, so adding translucency to it pretty much is 'doubling' the effect and unless you are working on a jellyfish shouldn't be needed. Translucent materials are more or less uniform in structure and don't 'scatter' the light, but just let some of it pass through. While a scattering material isn't quite as uniform. It allows some light to pass through, but sends some out at angles. Where it really gets interesting is the fact that a scattering material is also not doing the same thing for all the light frequencies, while a translucent material tends to work the same with all visible frequencies.

edited December 1969

MJC, you've managed to make my head spin... now I have to go back and play with it some more...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Think of it this way...a scattering material is like several 'layers' of translucent materials, each one passing a different frequency of light.

Scattering is a property of a volume of a material. And a material like human skin is made up of several different layers. Each layer may be truly translucent on its own, but put them together and you get something different...

The translucency property in 3Delight/RSL shaders assumes a uniformity to the property. So, in essence, it will 'overide' the scattering effect, unless the scattering level is much higher,,,which leads to the 'too long in a tanning bed' look....or if the translucency is too high...the 'plastic' look.

Since there aren't truly layered materials available in DS, there's no need to even think about using both together for a human. The SSS in the shaders available in DS already has the 'mixed translucencies' built in, especially the example Shader Mixer SSS one. Translucency should be reserved for things like cloth, paper, plastic...thin materials.

edited December 2012

I'll have to do some more reading and experiments. I thought I had it fixed, I overlaid the original maps over the smoothed I did in Photoshop so to keep those details in his hair and body (the vascularity in his legs is amazing. Good work to the artist), and it looks great UNTIL I bring something else into the scene. I've already learned how one object can affect another in a scene, just got to keep finding it I guess. But it's so aggravating. I lowered the glossiness way down so he doesn't look like a plastic doll, and the lighting model set to skin so those great details come out. I'm missing something..but what??

• YamanekoYamaneko Posts: 52
    edited December 1969

Hey Texjones,

I am having the same problem with Brock, did you ever find a solution?

Thanks!

edited October 2013

what I ended up doing was just give new skin all together. I used the Benny character for the skin, and for the hair I used the Brock bald head and added the Billy Hawk hair... This is my Brock character for the "Muscle Shores" series. I took the glossiness in hs skin way down to about 25%, still don't like the plastic doll look, but hey. But his eyes I had to reset the gloss.

Brock.jpg
    600 x 450 - 179K
  • YamanekoYamaneko Posts: 52
    edited December 1969

Hey Tex,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It's a shame that you couldn't get it to work. I guess I'll have to find a new texture as well.