how to get Genesis Complete

R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80
edited December 1969 in The Commons

hello Daz.

I just downloaded Daz4.5, again.. lol.. I've been away for a while [deployed]. Actually I'm very new to the new set up. I remember Victoria 4... So now what do I need to make the best of Genesis?

so far I have the Genesis starter, Genesis BodyMorphKit1, Genesis Muscle 1.0, and Genesis HeadMorphs1&2.

I'm particularly interested in advanced shaping.. making a smaller waiste, longer legs.. etc..
So far my Genesis set up is still pretty basic.. What else do I need?

thanks

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2012

Depends on if you want to make both women and men or more one than the other. I think for the body kits there is one for women (genesis basic female) and one for men. Both are useful. I would consider V5 if you want to make women as it has female specific morphs. Or M5 for men.

I'm not going to get into transferring your Gen4 stuff to genesis, but that is an option. Stuff being shaping morphs for characters. But that is also an option. If you go that route you may have a very complete genesis assortment fairly quickly but most use GenX as well as the Iconic shape packs to do it and that cost money.

I would get the evolution morphs for genesis if you don't already have them. But you might, can't remember if those came in the starter or not.

EDIT: Also I would get Die Tryines 180 V4 morphs for genesis.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Get Gen4 shapes for Genesis, that's also a pretty good bundled deal.

V5 and M5 Pro bundles if you need toaster and toast, so to speak. Starter bundles do not give genitals, FYI. They also have some nice stuff that can get you started.

• edited December 2012

Thanks for your military service abroad, and welcome home!

Here's a link to my reply in a somewhat similar thread, which might be helpful.

You also may like the Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit. This links to the one for female genesis, but the same PAs have 3 head morph resource kits and 2nd body morph resource kit for male genesis.

I totally agree about the DieTrying's 180 morphs that are free at sharecg. Those are very useful, as well as the Genesis Evolution bundle.

Edited to include a forgotten link. :) Actually, totally didn't see that you already had the body morph resource kit...

Post edited by aprilsunshine7_4526d47d74 on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

The one you really need that you didn't mention is the Genesis Evolution morphs.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

If you want to go with Genesis then the Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle is essential. If you are interested in musculature then Muscularity I think is well worth having, and you get Flexions with that which can give some nice flexing effects with bends. For just over $60 right now you can have all of the above plus Victoria 5 and Michael 5 in this combo bundle. I think the shape bundle for M4 and V4 will come in handy, especially at the current price.

Outside of DAZ originals, I really like the Head Morph Resource Kits by Thorne and Handspan Studios, although I only have the first kit so far, I find it really gives me that extra control needed to make very individual looking faces.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 2012

The Evolutions morphs are essential as others have said, but if you bought the Genesis Starter Bundle, you should have them already. They should allow you to change waist size, leg length, etc. There's another very nice general morph set available for free: http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/

For realistic men and women: I'd start with Michael 5 (get the Pro Bundle if you can--Michael's clothing and hair tends to look good on the girls, too) and either Victoria 5 or Stephanie 5 for women...V5 is bustier (especially with the included Supermodel shape and breast morphs) and S5 is more petite. S5 doesn't come with the extra breast shaping morphs, but she has three face shapes and three body shapes to Vicky's one face and two bodies. Take a look at the Ethnicity bundle also (or SickleYield's Diversity and similar sets, sold at Renderosity).

If you want to do nude renders, note that Genesis genitals are only available in certain bundles:
    Michael 5 Pro Bundle (male)
    Michael 5 Pro Suite (male)
    Victoria 5 Pro Bundle (female)
    Victoria 5 Pro Suite (female)
    Stephanie 5 Pro Bundle (female)
    Genesis Michael Victoria Combo Bundle (both male and female)

For anime: Hitomi and Hiro 5, and their accessories.

For creatures: Genesis Creature Creator Bundle, Epic Wings, Gorilla, Troll (you should have the Troll already as it came in the Starter Bundle), Tamesis Bundle, and look at various creatures by RawArt and Valandar, among others.

In general: The Gen 3 Iconic Shapes Bundle is great, especially if you have a lot of clothing for third-generation figures like Michael 3, Aiko 3, etc. David 3 for Genesis is sold separately, but unlike the others he comes with extra head shapes which is nice. The V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis are required for a number of characters in the store, but they are less essential now since the release of V5 and M5. Still, the more shapes and morphs you have, the better! And skin textures, too, for that matter...if you have some built for Victoria 4 or Michael 4, they will work fine on Genesis too.

One more important note: if you are buying a bunch of stuff, join the Platinum Club ($30 for one month) and get 30% off all DAZ Originals. Should end up being cheaper that way...most of the items I mentioned are DAZ Originals.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

Depends on if you want to make both women and men or more one than the other. I think for the body kits there is one for women (genesis basic female) and one for men. Both are useful. I would consider V5 if you want to make women as it has female specific morphs. Or M5 for men.

I do have some interest in creating male characters in the future, but for now I'm focusing on setting up my female. so, added to what I listed above, I now have the V5 and Genesis Evolution. What would you say was a really good skin texture? I remember I had a Stephanie skin texture that I though was amazing. I lost my old runtime folder so I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

edited December 1969

As far as skins go it will depend on what you like, but usually the textures labeled elite are really good. I've got elite Amy, Reby Sky, Marie, Lana and a few others and they get a lot of use. There are a variety of elite textures so if you are looking for pale, tan or freckled you should be able to find something.

Since V5 can use V4 textures you don't need a Genesis texture. Most of my fave textures are from V4. I've only got two or three genesis textures i reuse.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969
  • jmcalvatjmcalvat Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I'm not going to get into transferring your Gen4 stuff to genesis, but that is an option. Stuff being shaping morphs for characters. But that is also an option. If you go that route you may have a very complete genesis assortment fairly quickly but most use GenX as well as the Iconic shape packs to do it and that cost money.

I would get the evolution morphs for genesis if you don't already have them. But you might, can't remember if those came in the starter or not.

EDIT: Also I would get Die Tryines 180 V4 morphs for genesis.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/

Hello larsmidnatt

I just got DAZ Studio 4.5 for free and after spending time on the basics and need to go further now.
    1) I do not know which bundle to buy to start with : "Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1" OR "Genesis Starter Bundle" ? Do they both work without anything more than the Essentials.
    2) Can I use with DAZ Studio the Victoria 4.0 Pro bundle that I bought in 2007 for Poser ?

To be precise enough, I'd like to conform a real life nude woman (with tits, nipples and genitalia). I guess this is not only a question of morph but also a question of texture. So which bundle offers both the morphing possibility (small tits, heavy tits, large nipples, small nipples ...) and the textures (dark nipples, pink nipples, blond pubic hair,etc ...) all looking real. And not to difficult to install on a Mac, knowing that I only have the Genesis Starter Essentials ...

I had previously Poser 6 from DAZ, that I eventually dropped : too difficult to handle (I am not a pro) and I use the renders only to produce charts for teaching reasons.

Thank you

edited December 2012

You can use V4 if you want. No reason you can't. In that case you won't need to use anything related to Genesis. You can just pick a few V4 materials and dial in some shapes. I actually encourage you to use V4 instead for your purposes because that pro pack came with a collection of shapes and materials you can use.

V4 still works fine in DS 4.5.

To reiterate, reinstall the V4 pro bundle, redownload it if you need to. That has most everything you need and you will save money by staying with V4. Normally I suggest Genesis, but based on what you have said I actually don't think Genesis is needed.

EDIT: If you wanted to get your Genesis content up to where your V4 pro bundle is at you would need this
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/victoria-5-pro-suite

But if you are just using it for making charts I don't see the reason to do that, unless you just want to work with the newer figure.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

jmcalvat said:
    I just got DAZ Studio 4.5 for free and after spending time on the basics and need to go further now.
    1) I do not know which bundle to buy to start with : "Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1" OR "Genesis Starter Bundle" ? Do they both work without anything more than the Essentials.
    2) Can I use with DAZ Studio the Victoria 4.0 Pro bundle that I bought in 2007 for Poser ?

To be precise enough, I'd like to conform a real life nude woman (with tits, nipples and genitalia). I guess this is not only a question of morph but also a question of texture. So which bundle offers both the morphing possibility (small tits, heavy tits, large nipples, small nipples ...) and the textures (dark nipples, pink nipples, blond pubic hair,etc ...) all looking real. And not to difficult to install on a Mac, knowing that I only have the Genesis Starter Essentials ...

I had previously Poser 6 from DAZ, that I eventually dropped : too difficult to handle (I am not a pro) and I use the renders only to produce charts for teaching reasons.

Thank you

If you want genitalia for Genesis, you have two options.
    One is DAZ's geografted female genitalia, which are found ONLY in the V5 Pro Bundle, the V5 Pro Suite and the Michael Victoria Combo Bundle. The Genesis Starter Bundle is NOT sufficient for this.
    The other option is a morph for the Genesis base. One such morph is found in Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1.

The Body Morph Resource Kit and the Combo Bundle each offer a decent variety of other shaping morphs; the V5 Pro Bundle does not. The V5 Pro Suite contains both the Pro Bundle and the Starter Bundle, so it does have the morphs.

The Body Morph Resource Kit is morphs only; no textures are included. The Combo Bundle has one female texture. The Pro Bundle has at least three; I'm not sure if any of them match what you want. The Pro Suite does not have any textures beyond those in the Pro Bundle.

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

Don't forget to put today's Snowball item into the cart when you buy any of these, as it will reduce the overall price incredibly! :-)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited February 2013

If you want to do nude renders, note that Genesis genitals are only available in certain bundles:
    Michael 5 Pro Bundle (male)
    Michael 5 Pro Suite (male)
    Victoria 5 Pro Bundle (female)
    Victoria 5 Pro Suite (female)
    Stephanie 5 Pro Bundle (female)
    Genesis Michael Victoria Combo Bundle (both male and female)

Are you saying that if I already have Michael5 I can't get his genitals unless I also fork over a fortune and get the Michael 5 Pro Bundle too? 8-o (*why oh why do we put up with this ... ?)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited December 1969

Yep, far as I know that's the case. Of course you can buy a 3rd party set over at Rotica, or let him borrow M4's. But those won't take M5 textures, so that could be problematic.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited February 2013

Byrdie said:
    Yep, far as I know that's the case. Of course you can buy a 3rd party set over at Rotica, or let him borrow M4's. But those won't take M5 textures, so that could be problematic.

Yeah, I've got other toast I could use but sometimes it's nice to have proper textures and perfectly fit appendages. DAZ's policy about toast is crummy. 8-s

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Get Gen4 shapes for Genesis, that's also a pretty good bundled deal.

V5 and M5 Pro bundles if you need toaster and toast, so to speak. Starter bundles do not give genitals, FYI. They also have some nice stuff that can get you started.

I've been looking for Genesis geographed genitals... I own most of the gen morph packs.... Is spending $125.00 for genitals (being forced to buy m/v5 pro bundle)my only option?

For that price they better have wiings.... Oops...

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited June 2013

11R1CH11 said:
    hello Daz.

I just downloaded Daz4.5, again.. lol.. I've been away for a while [deployed]. Actually I'm very new to the new set up. I remember Victoria 4... So now what do I need to make the best of Genesis?

so far I have the Genesis starter, Genesis BodyMorphKit1, Genesis Muscle 1.0, and Genesis HeadMorphs1&2.

I'm particularly interested in advanced shaping.. making a smaller waiste, longer legs.. etc..

thanks

My new product Shape Shift for Genesis will be available Soon. It does exactly what you are looking for, eg longer legs, smaller waists. It's 80+ shaping morphs specially designed to really enhance your figure. Best of all it will also be a merchant resource. Can't say much about it, but I will start a thread on it soon. It is already in testing with Daz:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    11R1CH11 said:
    hello Daz.

thanks

My new product Shape Shift for Genesis will be available Soon. It does exactly what you are looking for, eg longer legs, smaller waists. It's 80+ shaping morphs specially designed to really enhance your figure. Best of all it will also be a merchant resource. Can't say much about it, but I will start a thread on it soon. It is already in testing with Daz:)
    Oh dear, you really know how to separate a girl from her money!! :-) (Tried to add a smile, but it's a no-show)

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited June 2013

I don't mean to lol. And ye I have no idea what happened to the smileys:( But before that one comes out I have a Product called Belly Control that will be available this month. Basically you will now be able to get realistic belly shapes or fantasy if you want. It will have flexable morphs where you can construct your own shape to your liking. It also contains movement morphs so if your figure is lying on the ground and you create a pot belly, it will face towards the ground. Will start a thread on this soon as well. Gonna be very a busy month:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • avmorganavmorgan Posts: 205
    edited October 2013

Zev0,

I just picked up the Shape Shift of Genesis, and am dying to try it out. Sadly, after the install manager ran, reporting a successful installation, I failed to find any components working in DAZ 4.6. I poked around, found the file list and found zip, zilch, nada in the \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\ directory. No zev0 folder.

Thinking maybe I hallucinated the first install, I went back to the product page, hit the IM DL/I link and was promptly told by IM that it's already installed. Sigh.

Fine, I downloaded the manual install package. That's a zip with files in a folder structure. I'm just about to try dropping them in manually, and will get back to you if that doesn't work. I am just here to report and give something for the web spiders to find "Shape Shift for Genesis did not install properly in DAZ 4.6" because no useful results came up when I googled it. I know DAZ can have issues with massive install updates, but this was a 7 item business-as-usual shopping trip. If more people find their way here because of this post, you'll know there's a real problem.

Thanks!

Again, really looking forward to using the shape shifter. I got a huge wishlist of things to pick up next if this works well for me!

^_^

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Well. No joy. I can see the Zero presets in the content library, but there nothing under Shaping or Parameters. I may have to open a new thread on this... it'll take me forever to figure out what the real issue is and track down a workable solution under some other topic heading.

Sigh.

Post edited by avmorgan on
    edited December 1969

Just to make sure you're looking in the right place, here's where the morphs are in my Parameters tab:
    Actor/Lower Body/Feet/Universal/Real World/Shape Shift
    Actor/Lower Body/Hip/Universal/Real World/Shape Shift
    Actor/Lower Body/Legs/Universal/Real World/Shape Shift
    Actor/Upper Body/Arms/Universal/Real World/Shape Shift
    Actor/Upper Body/Torso/Universal/Real World/Shape Shift

And you did load a fresh Genesis after installing, right?

edited December 1969

Actually, I discovered that the Install Manager was installing all my new content to the Users/Public folder, while DAZ was using everything I already had in my user folder. Just another of those little details that you are not warned about up front. How hard is it to put in a dialog for people who are upgrading that says, "If you have an earlier version of DAZ be aware that IM is configured to install to My Documents/Users/Public/... Go to the settings and give it the install path for your library..." with whatever warnings or recommendations they want to add? I'm in the process of uninstalling/reinstalling everything to the correct path now.

...and now the Genesis figure does not load correctly.

...be back in a bit.

edited December 1969

Okay. Had to get it to load the .duf genesis. Weird, because it's been loading the .dsf genesis for the past week with no problem. One of the reasons I did not figure out the content misplacement right away.

So, I can now see Genesis. The Zero resets are in the right place, and I'm seeing Shape Shifter sliders associated with various body parts. Now, it's time to go play!