DSF file thumbnail

Sylva1nSylva1n Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello,

is the a quick way to render a thumbnail for a DSF file?

thanks,

Sylvain

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Set up your render size to 91 x 91, remove all lights, position cam so you item fills the square so you can see what it is and then render.

Saving as a PNG without a background will give you a transparent background so you can either put in a plane primative in the background in Daz Studio before you render or save the render as a Jpeg and take that into Photoshop/Gimp etc. Make a new white layer below your render and save as a PNG. But name it the same as your DSF file or the same name as the PNG that was created at the time of saving. Then place this PNG image in the same place as your DSF file.

• Sylva1nSylva1n Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Could most of the process that you described be gathered inside a Custom Action?

I mean: setting the render size, removing the lights, positioning the cam, setting the background and launching the render!

edited July 2012

I don't know anything about coding but I think this would have to be done via Script but I will ask to make sure.

I am fairly sure Custon Action won't do the job.

I have asked if another CV can come along and answer this latest question, becasue to be honest I have no idea. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

I just found this old Daz Wiki page that explains Custom Actions a bit. http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazstudio/reference/customaction

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Sylva1n said:
    Could most of the process that you described be gathered inside a Custom Action?

I mean: setting the render size, removing the lights, positioning the cam, setting the background and launching the render!

How would the script know where to position the camera? A small item will need you to zoom or move the camera right up to it, a larger one will need you to back the camera away, an unusually shaped one may need you to shoot it from a specific angle.

Easiest way to do this may be with a saved scene that you use specifically for this kind of thing - merge in your new object, change the camera position if necessary, set the render size, shoot.

edited December 1969

That is a good Idea DWG, thanks for pitching in.

Added to that you can make a Custom Render preset in the Render Settings Pane using the "Save Preset" command.