Starting out in character/content creation - should I invest in Poser10?

michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
edited October 2013 in The Commons

I'm starting to get a character towards the final stages of morphing and texture details now, and after speaking to a lovely content creator I realise my market is somewhat limited. I'm producing for Genesis M5, and currently only have DS. I have Poser 8 but obviously that won't help me reagarding Genesis characters. My question is, should I take the time and savings to invest in Poser 10 (can't afford the Pro packs atm) so I can also offer the character for Poser?
Thanks for any replies.

Post edited by michellecelebrielle on

Comments

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited October 2013

Check SMS. P9 (which is lowest version to support DSON and Genesis) was on sale for $29.95. That would get you the DSON support and the ability to create Poser mc6's (if that's what you're aiming for) without too much of a cash out lay.

Is the character strictly M5? Which UV's are you using?

Pro versions of Poser give you the Poser fusion plugins for other apps which you probably don't need at this time. WM rigging which, again, you don't seem to need at this time. The latest Pro also has the fitting room, which doesn't seem to be what you need at the moment. If you're just working on character morphs and textures, no, you don't need all the extra bells and whistles.

Post edited by icprncss on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

If Poser 9 is still on sale, it wouldn't hurt to get it; otherwise it won't hurt to wait on the next sale.

• michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Check SMS. P9 (which is lowest version to support DSON and Genesis) was on sale for $29.95. That would get you the DSON support and the ability to create Poser mc6's (if that's what you're aiming for) without too much of a cash out lay.

Is the character strictly M5? Which UV's are you using?

Pro versions of Poser give you the Poser fusion plugins for other apps which you probably don't need at this time. WM rigging which, again, you don't seem to need at this time. The latest Pro also has the fitting room, which doesn't seem to be what you need at the moment. If you're just working on character morphs and textures, no, you don't need all the extra bells and whistles.

Thanks, I didn't realise Genesis could work in Poser 9; since it's on sale at the moment and I don't need all the 'bells and whistles' as you put it, this would be a great help to me,especially for makinf the Poser MAT files. :)

I'm currently only doing the character for Genesis using the M5 shape (and M4 shape for the head), using M5 UVs.

edited October 2013

If Poser 9 is still on sale, it wouldn't hurt to get it; otherwise it won't hurt to wait on the next sale.

Thanks, I remember seeing it in a RuntimeDNA email so will take a look
    Post edited by michellecelebrielle on
    edited December 1969

Seems I've missed out on the deal. Pants. Oh well.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Check Amazon, Purplus, and TigerDirect. There will be other sales between now and Christmas.

• H. J. ValdiH. J. Valdi Posts: 98
    edited December 1969

http://www.purplus.net/cad3d.html

Still seems to be nice and cheap there. :-)

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Check Amazon, Purplus, and TigerDirect. There will be other sales between now and Christmas.
    http://www.purplus.net/cad3d.html Still seems to be nice and cheap there. :-)

Thanks for the replies. I prefer to get actual products (non-downloadables) from uk companies in case they're faulty; it costs far too much to post stuff now.
    I've had a look on ebay and there's one big seller who has Poser 9 for £52 including postage, so I'll probably buy that - then I have to learn how to use DSON :p

Thanks for the advice - have saved myself over £100 as i was originally going to buy Poser 10 from amazon, but seems i don't need to for what I want to use it for :)

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

http://www.purplus.net/cad3d.html

Still seems to be nice and cheap there. :-)

Yeah, they also had Hexagon 2.5 for $139.95, What a steal!! :lol:
    Gus