I Want to Commission a Dragon, Yet...

DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I really like the DAZ Millennium Dragon and the variants you can buy on the site, however, it's not quite what I am looking for for my art. The main focus of my 3D art is Forgotten Realms/ Dungeons & Dragons fan art. In the Forgotten Realms worlds there are various types of dragons. Each one has a very distinct appearance and is unique to the FR world owned by Dungeons & Dragons/ Wizards of the Coast.

So here are my questions. I cannot create such a figure because I do not have the knowledge nor ability or skill (or patience I'm afraid). So I thought, 'I really want to commission one.'

I want at least 2 or 3 dragons and I am aware such a thing would be expensive, so I want to start out with one. However, because of the concept of the dragon belonging to the Wizards of the Coast company, I am guessing such a request would be a private commission? In other words, the maker probably cannot sell the dragon online to anyone else.

However, I see no problem with asking for a commission for myself, this is okay right?

Thanks a bunch for any help, and, if you know anyone taking commissions I'd love to be in contact.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Before you go that way have you checked the other Pay sites for different Dragons? I have four from Renderosity, and with morphs and addons I can do most dragons from D&D with just the six different dragon figures in my content.

P.S. Nice to meet another Drow my Avatar.

!Avatar_04.jpg
    100 x 100 - 9K
  • BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited July 2012

I can't answer you about comissions... (except that it might be expensive if the maker can't trade what he made for you)...

But have you looked at this: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=94117 ?
    It seems to be for DS4 only, but if you're using that...

Post edited by BlazeMystEra on
  • maraichmaraich Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

There's also the Subdragon, which comes free (LE version) with DS4. There happens to be a new add-on pack for that dragon at Rendo that has morphs, poses and new skins that would allow you to do blue, green red and brown (don't remember brown dragons in D&D, but the other three look great).

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/hfs-great-dragon/94117

• maraichmaraich Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

D'oh! I don't type fast enough. P

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

OMG those are BEAUTIFUL!!! I think working off of this and maybe commissioning "dragon pieces" to go onto this one might work... OMG THANK YOU!!! I nearly died seeing this dragon. I don't use DS4 but I'll just buy the SubDragon LE and use this.

Though NOW I want to ask, well I want to specifically make a silver dragon, (pic here: http://drchris.me/d20/?p=583 and here: http://www.nexodecaminos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/silver-dragon.jpg

Think anyone can help me to get the SubDragon to look like that? now THAT shouldn't be too much hassle XD

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

Actually now that I think on it I might ask DarioFish himself. Thanks again everyone!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

maraich said:
    There's also the Subdragon, which comes free (LE version) with DS4. There happens to be a new add-on pack for that dragon at Rendo that has morphs, poses and new skins that would allow you to do blue, green red and brown (don't remember brown dragons in D&D, but the other three look great).

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/hfs-great-dragon/94117

There is also this really nice pack for the Sub Dragon LE:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/design-anvil-millenium-sub-dragon-le-extender/93140

Just bought BOTH packs yesterday. I'm really happy that a couple of really good artists have taken this creature and done allot more with it! The pack I posted comes with some really wonderful poses, a nice assortment as well as new color options.

• edited December 1969

Maybe check out DinoRaul here on Daz or Swidhelm on Renderosity? They both have excellent dragon models that are very cheap, not to mention looking a heck of a lot better than Daz's dragons

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252
    edited July 2012

Well. Curiouser and curioser. DarioFish released a texture set for the Subdragon on Rendo a few days ago, with the promos using the Great Dragon morphs. The two packs were bundled, and then first the morphs, and then the textures disapperared from the store. Before even going off the intro prices so far as I could see.

Now I would expect that this means that they've been pulled by the artist. So, have they been purchased by DAZ? Will they (eventually) show up here? Or at some other store, somewhere else?

I'm a bit miffed since I stowed them both in my wishlist before they were bundled, and by the time a bundle icon was attached to the textures, the morphs were gone. The next day, the textures were gone too. So now I'm grumphed for having waited.

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited December 1969

Well that sucks rotten eggs. I have the first set but like you had the second one on hold until more funding came along. Oh well..... hopefully the packs will show up somewhere.

edited July 2012

And even curiouser. I just got Rendo's weekly newsletter and it's got the texture pack listed as a new item. with link:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=94248&&AID;=408

The link takes me to the page. There's no intro sale listed (I think that's why I had it in the wishlist) but the bundle is still referenced. You can't buy the bundle though, since I tried it a day or so ago, and it won't go because the morph pack is gone. Although it's referenced on the page.

It let me put the texture pack back in my wishlist, though. So maybe there was a problem with the morph pack and it will be back when fixed.

However, I discovered that as soon as I went to another page and back to the wishlist the texture pack was gone again, so while I could I threw it in the cart and paid for it. Bundles can be overrated, and a nice gold, silver or black subdragon is quite welcome to my runtime..

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited December 1969

Perhaps it was part of the Prime intro sale there. They do something kinda lame.. they put it up for a couple of days, take it back down and put it up with it's regular price like a day or two later. I think this is bad marketing strategy myself! :coolmad:

edited December 1969

Well it never was a part of the Prime collection. I'd have bought it immediately if it had been, rather than put it in my wishlist. I think you may be thinking of the Sneak Peek Wednesdays, where something is released at half price for one day, on wednesday and then disappears for a week until a normal release at a normal intro sale price a week later.

But if the Great Dragon morphs and Light Dragon textures were intended to be something like that it was pretty thoroughly botched. I could speculate, back and forth, but I don't know anything, and don't have any idea of what is really going on.

edited December 1969

No, pretty sure that's what they do with the Prime priced items as well. I've had stuff in my cart up and disappear when it was Prime priced and then had to re-add it back when it finally went live at it's normal price. Very annoying. Not sure why they cant' just set it up to change to regular price after said Prime deal expires rather than taking it down for a day or two... just odd to me.