how tall is v4 ...

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

And is there a formula for judging height for custom morph?

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

when you create a new primitive, you have the option of how big to make it. You could make a plane that's one one meter across and use it as a ruler to roughly measure your figure., or change it to cm to try to get a better guess. There are also free ruler objects available (I think I saw some on renderosity). I think your grid setting might be defaulting to 1 meter squares also.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

You can try my freebie measuring wall. Has either feet or meters, so should help you. Measure Wall

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Yes I use Sloshes measuring tool. Very Handy...

• whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited December 1969

I third the Measure Wall. It is really great!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Why do people make this harder then it is? Create a new plane, size doesn't matter but at least big enough to be seen. Raise the plane on the y-axis to height you want your character, DS uses centimeters to convert (feet x 12) + inches) x 2.54 = centimeters.

edited December 1969

Peoples' minds work in different ways. What might sound quite obvious to some turns into a calculus problem to others. Also, what if you want to measure 2 or 3 figures at once, as well as a piece of furniture, a doorway, etc. Some might not want to add a plane for each item, or adjust the same plane again and again, then do a math equation each time to go with it.

If you prefer to do the plane idea (which is totally a good way to do it) rather than use that same single click to open a board with measurements already shown on it, then that's fine, but it is not necessarily "making it harder than it has to be" for people who just like to see the numbers.

This post was typed with a smile on my face and in no way meant to come across snarky. There are a million right ways to do something.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

For the specific question asked my way is simple and doesn't require anything that isn't already in DS.

edited December 1969

Oh geez. Your way takes 1 click to load the plane, dial movements to match the height, then a calculator to determine the metric or imperial measurement. The stupid wall loads in right behind V4 or whomever and has inches, feet, centimeters or meters right on it. Blam, one-click. Is your way really easier? And the wall is free, so it is no more complicated than a native DS plane.

Why? Why? Just trying to give someone a nice freebie, why do you have to make this so complicated? Thanks for ruining a good mood.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

It's ok Slosh. I'm an accounting major and still prefer the visual wall method. lol :P

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    For the specific question asked my way is simple and doesn't require anything that isn't already in DS.

Don't see how loading in primitives then hunting down a calculator and manually keying in conversions is simpler than eyeballing a chart prop specifically for that purpose.

Just sayin.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

I guess it would all depend on your screen. On mine, my Craftsman tape measurer has 4 and 15/16th inches and my laptop would be smaller ;)

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Thanks, guys :D My original question was how tall is V4 and if there was a formula for height adjusting, so when I want to make a character 5'5", I know how much to alter her and where.

The wall is perfect for my needs, Slosh :D Thanks (and yes, when I am in composition mode, my brain is not in math mode ... lol).

While I'm here ... I was able to shorten her legs, but not her torso. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong spot? I have ++ morphs, if that helps. Also, is there a morph to close the small gap between her thighs? I can make the thighs touch, but there is still a little gap at the top. Is there a saddlebag morph floating around somewhere.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

And here I thought V4 was 0.76323 units in the OBJ... :D

edited December 1969

I think I read somewhere that earlier versions of Poser had V4 standing at like 5'8", but after a Poser units change she turned into like 6'4. lol

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2013

And is there a formula for judging height for custom morph?

Stock V4 at 100% scale is 5' 10.5" or 179.07 cm but I don;t know of any custom scale to measure.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

They always used to say she was five foot ten and a half inches.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

I just use a scale-measuring script I've had for years (don't recall the writer) that gives any given mesh's x, y, and z dimensions in any of about five different units to about eight decimal places. 5' 10.5" sounds about right.

Both editions of S1M's Behemoth are over 7' tall, and their Raider alien pushes 8'. Anime-styled beanpole Maybe is also 7' or more. A3 and H3 are more like 5'6". Both M3 and V3 are nearer 6' tall. I think.

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Vaskania said:
    I think I read somewhere that earlier versions of Poser had V4 standing at like 5'8", but after a Poser units change she turned into like 6'4. lol

My earlier post is where you probably read it.
    Not sure. It was on the older forums. I thought it came from Chris Creek. /shrugs

• whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited December 1969

Sorry I didn't get a chance to do another reply before leaving for work this morning.

The Measure Wall is just fun to use. I like visual answers to visual problems. I always adjust height for characters and rarely use the default height so it really comes in handy.

I also found:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/41322/browse/11/Poser/Poser-dial-driven-measuring-tools

It says Poser-dial-driven-measuring-tools but works for Studio too. It has the Metric system but also can display height in Feet and Inches and just Inches by itself. I usually use the measure wall for height and this for everything else. And no it isn't mine or anyone I know. I just found it while searching one day. I'm not big on Freebies but I like this one.

And there is the Line UP: http://www.daz3d.com/the-line-up

It doesn't show fine measurements in the pics but I'm interested to see how it stacks up. Again it looks fun. I regularly place my characters side by side when creating them. I usually want one either shorter or taller than another so I bring them both in and size accordingly. I just see a few renders with Big Foot along side some others.

I wish I could wrap my head around the Metric system but alas it doesn't seem so. The measurements just don't mean anything to me. I wasn't raised on them but I do calculations all the time at work but I mainly convert Liters to Gallons and Kilometers to Miles. Or Lat/Longs to miles.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Excellent links :D Thanks !!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to do another reply before leaving for work this morning.

The Measure Wall is just fun to use. I like visual answers to visual problems. I always adjust height for characters and rarely use the default height so it really comes in handy.

I also found:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/41322/browse/11/Poser/Poser-dial-driven-measuring-tools

It says Poser-dial-driven-measuring-tools but works for Studio too. It has the Metric system but also can display height in Feet and Inches and just Inches by itself. I usually use the measure wall for height and this for everything else. And no it isn't mine or anyone I know. I just found it while searching one day. I'm not big on Freebies but I like this one.

And there is the Line UP: http://www.daz3d.com/the-line-up

It doesn't show fine measurements in the pics but I'm interested to see how it stacks up. Again it looks fun. I regularly place my characters side by side when creating them. I usually want one either shorter or taller than another so I bring them both in and size accordingly. I just see a few renders with Big Foot along side some others.

I wish I could wrap my head around the Metric system but alas it doesn't seem so. The measurements just don't mean anything to me. I wasn't raised on them but I do calculations all the time at work but I mainly convert Liters to Gallons and Kilometers to Miles. Or Lat/Longs to miles.

• AluwormAluworm Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

according to the Universal Sizing Apparatus over at rosity she is 5'11'' 36-27-36. It's a nifty tool for Gen 4 and Genesis female characters but last I knew it was having problems in Daz studio. The problem with it in Daz is no DSON support (full CR2 support and Beta DUF support)

• Thank you for the measure wall.  Another freebie I had put V4 (unscaled) at 5' 6"