I'm attempting to make a hat using Genesis, won't show up in DAZ 4.6

wdsmith1959wdsmith1959 Posts: 60
edited October 2013 in Hexagon Discussion

Hexagon has been giving me Hell for the past three weeks. I'm attempting to create some uniform items for Genesis / V4 / M4 and when I do these, the program will freeze up, or I'm constantly having to reset everything to default. It's really making me very angry. Also, after I create the clothing item and export it to DAZ 4.6, the danged thing shows up in the scene tree, but NOT in the DAZ window on the figure! This is annoying as can be.

Also, to create clothing for DAZ figures, do I leave the size to 1.000 when I export to Genesis to Hexagon as .obj, or reset it to 100.00? When I do the latter, it looks far too big. I've been trying to follow Val Cameron's tutorials (Dreamlight) but the UV mapping in Hexagon is a bloody nightmare and it flat out WON'T WORK!!

Post edited by wdsmith1959 on

Comments

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

It doesn't look like the Hex forum is very active at the moment, so I'll have a go at helping you.

The stability problem can be many things. In this tread a lot is covered : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13264/

First :
    Don't use the Hexagon Bridge to Daz Studio when creating new content. I don't think anyone has ever got that to work.
    Use the bridge from Daz Studio to Hexagon, for the creation of morphs.
    For new content export as a .obj, and import that into DS

Daz Studio works with Poser scale. A Poser .obj is tiny. So for being able to work with them you have to scale them up.
    The way to do this is to export Genesis from DS as a .obj with poser scale.
    Then import this mannequin into Hexagon with a scale factor of 100.
    When you have modeled your new content, export this out from Hexagon with a scale factor of 0,01. This will then be in Poser scale.
    Import then into DZ as Poser scale.

UV-mapping in Hexagon can be a challenge. The trick is to set the seams right. You will also have to reposition and scale the resulting maps after they have been generated.

• wdsmith1959wdsmith1959 Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    It doesn't look like the Hex forum is very active at the moment, so I'll have a go at helping you.

The stability problem can be many things. In this tread a lot is covered : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13264/

First :
    Don't use the Hexagon Bridge to Daz Studio when creating new content. I don't think anyone has ever got that to work.
    Use the bridge from Daz Studio to Hexagon, for the creation of morphs.
    For new content export as a .obj, and import that into DS

Daz Studio works with Poser scale. A Poser .obj is tiny. So for being able to work with them you have to scale them up.
    The way to do this is to export Genesis from DS as a .obj with poser scale.
    Then import this mannequin into Hexagon with a scale factor of 100.
    When you have modeled your new content, export this out from Hexagon with a scale factor of 0,01. This will then be in Poser scale.
    Import then into DZ as Poser scale.

UV-mapping in Hexagon can be a challenge. The trick is to set the seams right. You will also have to reposition and scale the resulting maps after they have been generated.

Thanks! 0,01?? Yes, trying to get the seams to work properly is driving me crazy too! When I try doing this, and then attempt to create the UV, it shows up all crumpled up and the heck of it is, I CANNOT GET RID OF IT and start over! So, Hexagon is really causing me a lot of problems. I wished they'd redesign it for 64 bit, which is what I'm running with Windows 7.

edited December 1969

Oh! By the way, I've got your colonial outfits and the medals you have on shareCG. Those are great! Wished you would consider doing some Imperial German WW1 iron crosses, Pour Le Merite, etc.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

The way I do it when creating and UV-mapping something is to create it in parts.
    Then UV-Map each part separately.
    Experiment with the Proj Axis and Pinning Axis.
    After changing the Axis press the little head beside the plus sign and it will generate a new map.

Do not have the parts grouped when UV-mapping. It is possible to do it, but the selection of the parts will change as you work, and its easy to get confused.

When all the parts have been UV-mapped, select all the parts and you will then in the UV-mapper window be able to reposition and rescale them together.

Before you then export to .obj, rename the parts, so they all have the same name.
    Do not weld them in Hexagon, cause that will destroy the UV-map.
    When exporting, all the parts with the same name will be welded together during the export.

More medals; maybe, but not right now.

Untitled-2.jpg
    881 x 688 - 252K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    911 x 399 - 111K
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I copied and pasted all of this into a Word document so I have it for reference.

Will