Carrara 8.5 Bugs and Other Issues

2»

Comments

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Carrara 9 is in development, so I actually doubt that there will even be a point release update at this moment in time, especially not when it is less than a month since release

I doubt that I'll be keeping 8.5 if that's the case.
  • FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Is there news on a developers blog or something like that about the new features? :)

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited September 2013

kunterbunt,

I have Elite Lana working on both Genesis and Genesis2. The trick is to build all the shaders manually. You have to go to the individual shaders and load the texture maps, bump maps and specular maps. It takes a while, but they look good when done.

The problem is that Genesis shaders are in a different order than V4. They load by position in the shader tree rather than by name. There's a post somewhere that discusses it.

Post edited by BrianP21361 on
  • Brad CBrad C Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Carrara causes white rectangle to appear on Mac Finder desktop

When Carrara is open and I switch to other applications sometimes a large white rectangle appears on my desktop when I am in Finder. This takes up about 75% of the desktop. I can’t move folders on the desktop into this rectangle. They become invisible as they cross the edge of the rectangle and when I release them they go back to their original location. I can see open folder windows overtop of this rectangle. When I quit Carrara this white rectangle disappears and the Finder and desktop appear to operate normally.

Carrara 8.5 Pro Build 243 - 64 bit
    Mac OS 10.8.5

Reported to ZenDesk 9-17-2013

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

Brad C said:
    Carrara causes white rectangle to appear on Mac Finder desktop

When Carrara is open and I switch to other applications sometimes a large white rectangle appears on my desktop when I am in Finder. This takes up about 75% of the desktop. I can’t move folders on the desktop into this rectangle. They become invisible as they cross the edge of the rectangle and when I release them they go back to their original location. I can see open folder windows overtop of this rectangle. When I quit Carrara this white rectangle disappears and the Finder and desktop appear to operate normally.

I haven't had that problem specifically since updating to 10.8.5 (never fear, for Mavericks is on the way and I fear it'll break Carrara so completely I'll be driven back to learning Blender again), but I do use multiple desktops on Mission Control, and sometimes when I switch back to Carrara from another desktop (usually with the keyboard shortcut), the screen takes a second or two, or five, or a click in the working space, to get it to update.

edited September 2013

Carrara renders opaque shader as semi-transparent when using alpha output.

Carrara 8.5 Pro build 243 - 64 bit
    Mac OS 10.8.4

I open new default empty scene. Insert default cube with default shader, which is opaque. Use default rendering settings. For output I choose Photoshop (PNG or TIFF also yield same results). I choose Output: File Format: Photoshop: Render Alpha Channel or Output: File Format: Photoshop: Render Alpha Channel & Use Premultiplied Alpha.

When I open the rendered Photoshop, PNG, or TIFF file in Photoshop or Corel Painter I get the same result. There is no separate Alpha channel. The background area around the cube is transparent. The cube itself is semi-transparent, which is the problem. I can partially see the background squares of Photoshop’s transparency indicator grid through the cube.

If I place a green rectangle behind part of the cube I can partially see the green through the cube. Using Photoshop’s eyedropper I can measure a slight difference in hue and saturation where the green is behind the cube. However the eyedropper reads the opacity of the cube as 100% whether the green is behind it or not. Which is strange because I can partially see through the cube when the green is not behind it.

If I output without choosing Render Alpha Channel, or without choosing Render Alpha Channel & Use Premultiplied Alpha, the cube appears opaque without any transparency. But then the area around the cube is opaque. The image has no background transparency or background alpha channel and I can’t precisely separate the cube from the background as I want to do.

Reported to ZenDesk 9-9-2013
    No solution from ZenDesk as of 9-17-2013

CarraraAlphaTransparencyBug.jpg
    651 x 397 - 51K
    Post edited by Brad C on
  • BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited December 1969

Brad C,

Have you tried rendering with premultiplied alpha unchecked. I seem to remember that PhotoShop doesn't like premultiplied alphas.

edited December 1969

Brad C,

Have you tried rendering with premultiplied alpha unchecked. I seem to remember that PhotoShop doesn't like premultiplied alphas.

Thanks. Yes I have. While the edges of the cube might look slightly different if I was to put a layer of color behind the cube in Photoshop, the cube itself is still semi-transparent in Photoshop if I render it in Carrara using just alpha, or render it in Carrara using alpha with premultiplied alpha also checked.

edited September 2013

Brad C said:
    Carrara renders opaque shader as semi-transparent when using alpha output.

Carrara 8.5 Pro build 243 - 64 bit
    Mac OS 10.8.4

I open new default empty scene. Insert default cube with default shader, which is opaque. Use default rendering settings. For output I choose Photoshop (PNG or TIFF also yield same results). I choose Output: File Format: Photoshop: Render Alpha Channel or Output: File Format: Photoshop: Render Alpha Channel & Use Premultiplied Alpha.

When I open the rendered Photoshop, PNG, or TIFF file in Photoshop or Corel Painter I get the same result. There is no separate Alpha channel. The background area around the cube is transparent. The cube itself is semi-transparent, which is the problem. I can partially see the background squares of Photoshop’s transparency indicator grid through the cube.

If I place a green rectangle behind part of the cube I can partially see the green through the cube. Using Photoshop’s eyedropper I can measure a slight difference in hue and saturation where the green is behind the cube. However the eyedropper reads the opacity of the cube as 100% whether the green is behind it or not. Which is strange because I can partially see through the cube when the green is not behind it.

If I output without choosing Render Alpha Channel, or without choosing Render Alpha Channel & Use Premultiplied Alpha, the cube appears opaque without any transparency. But then the area around the cube is opaque. The image has no background transparency or background alpha channel and I can’t precisely separate the cube from the background as I want to do.

Reported to ZenDesk 9-9-2013
    No solution from ZenDesk as of 9-17-2013

Reply from Zen Desk: Kraig Hausmann, Sep 19 13:13 (MDT):

Hi Bradley,

Thanks for your patience. I've duplicate the same results in Carrara. We don't know whether this is a bug in Carrara or in the way Photoshop is handling it. I am forwarding this ticket to our Carrara Q.A. for further testing.

I tried to see if I could find a work-around with the multi-pass, but was unsuccessful.

CarraraAlphaTransparencyBug.jpg
    651 x 397 - 51K
    Post edited by Brad C on
    edited December 1969

I've been away for a couple of days due to computer problems (RAM stick went bad). First post will be updated shortly.

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

I am having trouble getting C8.5pro 64bit win to show poser 9 content that works fine in c8.1. I try to add runtime or just add a folder but only the folder structure shows in carraras browser with no files etc. I thought 8.5 was going to be great for content management?

• edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    IMO, this is a good example of something that is an "issue" and not a "bug". If they only design and test for 2 monitors, then formally, its not a bug. (even if it happened to work, and it lets you type in a higher number)

That being said, it does not mean it should not be listed here as a user issue, and we can all see if we can come up with a workaround, if we can replicate.

So as an example, if we added to the top: "Mutli-monitor >2 support not working on all platforms"

Maybe a workaround would be to use Synergy, to use some other open source monitor manager, etc...or maybe it just doesn't work, and we would like it to be fixed (i.e. "No known workaround") Then it's just good feedback for Daz.

:)

I'm sorry but just because it doesn't affect 80% of the users does not make it "not a bug," especially when it worked perfectly in 8.5.0.172. (In that sense, it also qualifies as a "regression")
    I've tested it with two monitors, and it STILL FAILS if the primary monitor is on the right. I've tested it with three monitors, with the primary on the far left, and it works. It has nothing to do with the number of monitors, and everything to do with the position of the primary. It's just that I refuse to put my menus and main program windows in my far peripheral vision.

This thread is all about discussing bugs we have detected, and sharing that info. I appreciate those who are able to duplicate it, which might help them fix it. On the other hand, I know programmer time must be prioritized to high-impact bugs. Maybe this is one of those, maybe not. Or maybe just knowing the bug exists will let them see how easy (or hard) it is to fix next time they review that part of the code. Sometimes a bug will present itself as "low-hanging fruit" when you look at the code. All I can do is share what I know.
    As a programmer, (for 20 years,) I know how bugs get fixed. Not talking about them, or dismissing them as a "user issue" doesn't help.

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

I have run into a problem with C8.5 physics that I cannot reproduce in C8.1. (Thank goodness I did NOT uninstall C8.1!!!!)

To demo the problem, I created a simple scene with 5 cubes over an infinite plane. (See image 1)

I set the 5 cubes' motion to "Physics" and dropped the bounce down to ranges from 5-15%. No other changes from basic settings.

I then ran "Simulate Physics."

(Up until now, everything is fine. The cubes drop and settle on the plane as they should.)

But I want to change motion back to "Keyframe." So I can manipulate individual frames.

C8.1 would convert the simulated physics motion into keyframes. C8.5 doesn't. In fact, when I convert the cubes back to keyframe, the cubes move to the center (0,0,0) and then don't do anything. (See image 2) Note also that (a) the camera repositions itself back to it's zero reference, and (b) no keyframes are added to the animation sequencer.

I've tried this on several scenes with varying level of complexities and get the same result. I'd like to know can reproduce this problem.

Thanks.

Physics_Problem_image_2.jpg
    1823 x 907 - 270K
    Physics_Problem_image_1.jpg
    1340 x 829 - 228K
    Post edited by FractalDimensia on
    edited September 2013

Quoting a post by Fenric for future reference.

Fenric said:
    You need to turn off texture spooling on 64-bit systems if you are using any of the Global Illumination options, or Carrara spends too much time fiddling with spooling textures instead of rendering.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/437527/
    Post edited by araneldon on
    edited December 1969

I think that the Genesis support is semi-buggy: after a while it breaks up the morphs, although I did not work on the figure, but on a house. :/ I was able to reproduce this twice.

edited December 1969

I think that the Genesis support is semi-buggy: after a while it breaks up the morphs, although I did not work on the figure, but on a house. :/ I was able to reproduce this twice.

Can you provide instructions on how to reproduce this?

My refund for C8.5 should arrive within this week so I can't do that anymore, but I'll maintain the bug list for now.

edited December 1969

I put M5 into the scene, change his skin, rotate the cam, change skin again and some random morphs get funky.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

I am having trouble with the weightpainting brush in C8.5. I have attached a prop to the skeleton of a figure. When I try to use the weightpainting brush in C8.5 to fix poke through, the unposed mesh of the prop pops back into the frame and blocks the view. That does not happen when I open the same file in Carrara 8.1. I'm not sure if others have been having this issue.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

I am also having trouble with the "edit" - "convert to other modeler" function in Carrara 8.5. The details are on the second page of this thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29483/

The problem arises when a vertex object that has been converted to a primitive is then attempted to be converted back to a vertex object. In these examples, the vertex object had been attached to the skeleton of a Daz figure.

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

I'm having problems with shaders of mane of DAZ Horse 2 in Carrara 8.5 Pro. I created a nice closeup of the horse talking with Mimic - works great, I saved the scene as a Carrara file with local settings for texture save. When I reopened the file later all the mane textures had disappeared.
    It may be an issue with Carrara about number of shaders it can handle? at one stage while loading the tail and mane to mane the initial scen I has an error message, something about max no of shader exceeded, but it did in fact load all the shaders initially.

But not when I re-loaded the saved scene- all mane-shaders gone. A few hours of animation (with mane movements while talkng etc) lost- seemingly - unless DAZ can suggest a rescue. [you cant accss the mane parts to load an individual shader to each]

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Is the DAZ Horse 2 one of the new triax figures? I don't think Carrara has a limit on the number of shaders you can have. The loss of the shaders is something else.

You should be able to rebuild the shaders, but you wouldn't do it by selecting the body part. Prior to Genesis, you would select the figure's model in the figure's hierarchy to access a list of the shading domains. I think with the triax models, it's called Actor. So try selecting that, and then click the shading tab and see if you get a list of shading domains.

edited December 1969

I managed to rescue the mane animation as an NLA clip, delete the mane and reload it and its proper shaders, then reapply the clip. Then consolidated duplicate shaders, saved this, closed and reopened - Worked fine and shaders are correctly loaded. Seems that hte number of shaders is the issue?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

keryna said:
    A few hours of animation (with mane movements while talkng etc) lost- seemingly - unless DAZ can suggest a rescue. [you cant accss the mane parts to load an individual shader to each]
    Here's a fix for now:
    Load the scene.
    I believe the DAZ Horse 2 has an "Actor" node in the upper hierarchy, correct? (Yes, it is a new Triax rig)
    Select the node just above that, which should be something like Horse 2 or DAZ Horse 2
    Go to the NLA tab and click "Create New Clip"
    Everything will be selected by default, so if you have morph applied that you don't want to come along with the saved data, find the boxes that have the word "Morph" in them and deselect them. With Genesis, there's one box for morphs at the bottom of the list.
    If you want your animation to loop, go into the looping offset selection and change it from Actor (or model) to Hip.
    To keep a "Save" copy of this file, deselect the part about deleting keyframes and
    If you start your animation from anywhere but frame 0 (zero), you can use scene range instead of the default, which is all keyframes.
    Give it a name and click "Okay"

Now just remember to save that clip to your browser before you close the file.

To load it to a fresh copy of the DAZ Horse 2, just drag this NLA Clip from your browser to the NLA tab, and then drag it from there to the NLA Track in the sequencer under : Horse 2 (toward the top, may have to expand the hierarchy to see it)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

keryna said:
    Seems that hte number of shaders is the issue?
    Man... I have a hard time thinking this is right. Do you have a bazillion shaders in there?

If the scene itself already has a lot of shaders, this may have been the issue. Keeping a lot of shaders does take system memory. I am rather vigilant at keeping my shaders consolidated. I've had Carrara drop to a crawl due to too many shaders without getting such a warning before...

Glad you managed to save the animation!

edited December 1969

Thanks Dart for the tips on how to "save the motions" and recreate the scene. Im not sure how many shaders were in the original- but the mane and tail parts, which are 1 or 2 dozen perhaps, seem to load up with one copy of their shader each. The horse was the only mesh in the scene. I'll know what steps to take if the error come up again or my shaders accumulate.

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    edited December 1969

Hi there friends, I am having an issue or a bug dunno, I have very few time using Carrara 8.5 Pro on my new Mac Mountain Lion 64 bit, the issue I have is that when I do click in whatever part of menu, screen, model, the screen do a flashing, and when I do rotate the model a ghost remains on screen for a very few time until I do set it for this new position, can anyone give me a clue of what is happening? i was trying to take a screen shot but is not possible to catch any of these issues....

Thanks much in advance for any input you have

Otto

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

An update on the issues that I'd brought up earlier:

It turns out that Carrara simply can't load PoserCF content. And by "can't load," I mean "goes down like a poleaxed steer, taking all unsaved work with it, when exposed to."

The ticket in which this was explained, and I continued to assert that a hard crash is no substitute for an error message, was marked "Solved." I can only assume it was done this way because Zendesk doesn't have an option for marking tickets "Swept Under the Rug."

This decision does not leave a positive impression. But a lasting one? Oh aye, it does that.

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A little issue i am getting is that Carrara seems to wants to lock sliders once i have put some morphs onto V4

• redhorseredhorse Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

An update to the multiple monitor issue I posted earlier:

It appears that it isn't so much a problem with 3 monitors versus 2 or multiple monitors in general, but rather using a monitor to the left of the main one (main one contains the Windows task bar). I can use two monitors as long as the secondary monitor is to the right of the main one. For example (where X is a monitor selected in Carrara's preferences):

These configurations work fine:
    [_] [X] [_]
    and
    [_] [X] [X]

These cause most of the screen on all selected displays to go black when using full screen mode:
    [X] [X] [_]
    and
    [X] [X] [X]

Again, all four of these configurations worked fine in 8.1 and all earlier versions of Carrara. Only in 8.5 and all the beta versions I tried is this a problem.

My bug report has been updated to reflect these new findings.