More Store Odd Behavior

MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
edited July 2012 in The Commons

I dont know if this has been brought up or not, but i have encountered a store bug thats very troubling.

While searching the store Daz Originals, my items per page is set to 60. When i scroll through the pages, it appears that some items I previously viewed, show up on subquent pages.

For example, on Page 1 of the search, the item Rope Sandals for V5: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ropesandals-for-v5/ is on the first page, thus the first 60 items. However, when i clicked , it also appeared on Page 2. Which means, some items had to move to the 1st page.

This will make it impossible to browse the store. I also tried just refreshing the first page. It appears if any item is the same price, it can appear in any random order on any page as long as other items are the same price.

So I have no idea on how i can search the store without missing any items in that search?

-MJ

Post edited by MJ007 on

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    edited December 1969

I noticed several items were on multiple pages last night.

• BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Did you by any chance sort the items (eg by price)? Because what you describe always happens when I sort Items before looking through them. And I think I've seen it mentioned here or there...

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
    edited July 2012

Did you by any chance sort the items (eg by price)? Because what you describe always happens when I sort Items before looking through them. And I think I've seen it mentioned here or there...

Yes. I did sort them by price. But even so, there still should be some secondary criteria to keep them in the same position. Otherwise, you will lose products in your searches.

This is insane.

-MJ
    Post edited by MJ007 on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited July 2012

Greetings,
    Ayep. Essentially what you would expect is a 'stable sort' (when you sort items, things with the same sort key end up in the same order they were initially), and what they're getting is an unstable sort, which gets run each time you paginate through it. So if items have the same sort-by value (e.g. price) on multiple pages, they could be on one page in one query, and another in the next query.

Part and parcel of the store software, I imagine. (It'd be interesting to find other high volume high item quantity Magento stores and see how they behave.)

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

MJ007 said:
    I
    For example, on Page 1 of the search, the item Rope Sandals for V5: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ropesandals-for-v5/ is on the first page, thus the first 60 items. However, when i clicked , it also appeared on Page 2. Which means, some items had to move to the 1st page.

I'd assumed those were multiple occurrences, rather than a re-ordering, but I'm tending towards your idea now you've raised it. It's something I've been seeing an awful lot of, and repeat queries would make sense as a cause (though not as a way of doing things!).

• deathwispdeathwisp Posts: 48
    edited July 2012

Here's a hitchhiker complaint that sorta goes along with this thread-

Using the search box at the top right of the store brings up "nothing matched", while clearly on the left in the list it says "so and so number found". It won't let you see them, though, if you click on them. This made it impossible for me to use vendor names to browse their stores.

Update- I used the "advanced search" i found below the search bar, and here are my results:

"
    Catalog Advanced Search

17 item(s) were found using the following search criteria

Created By: Raiya

Don't see what you're looking for? Modify your search

There are no products matching the selection.
    "

If there are no products matching the selection- how did it find 17? Additionally- why can't I click anything on this result page to actually SEE these 17 products? It is frustrating.

Post edited by deathwisp on
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

MJ007 said:

Yes. I did sort them by price. But even so, there still should be some secondary criteria to keep them in the same position. Otherwise, you will lose products in your searches.

This is insane.

-MJ
    I agree. This is very annoying. It makes it almost impossible to shop by price. If we are seeing multiple occurrences of the same item, are there items we never see? Having a random assortment of items all the same price when you're trying to shop by price is extremely annoying. If we can't have a choice of a secondary sort field, they should just settle on one, either name, or release date and implement that. Pretty please, with chocolate covered tentacles on top?