Bryce Artist Features [UPDATE 6/11/]

Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
edited November 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Forgot I had this thread here - been focusing on the feature thread in the commons since I started doing DS and Poser features, but have had a couple of new Bryce features. The thread was originally about a series of Bryce Artist features specifically about raising awareness of Bryce and its capabilities amid a broader 3D community that often pass it over as an inferior product. Since then I've put together 3 further features about artists that use Bryce.

You can find the full index of features here

The current feature is a Brycer that needs little introduction,Orbital, also known as Joe Vinton in that other realm. While newer Bryce artists might not know the name they probably know his tutorial, Bryce Master Series: Cloud City here in the DAZ store. The attached image is one his his images called Outer Rim.

The previous feature was of another longtime user of the software, Steve Winter (Lord of Dragons. Steve, like Orbital, does a lot of sci-fi themed stuff, but what really drew me to Steve's work was his amazingly designed and constructed insectile mecha beasites known as inZects. Most of his work is done with Bryce 4, though he is now working more frequently with Bryce 7.

Other artist features include Horo, David Brinnen, Santosky, Sylverdali, and Michael Frank.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on

Comments

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969
    Teapot-Topiary.jpg
    629 x 800 - 146K
    edited December 1969

Just a bump to bring this to the top as it sunk straight to the bottom when I had the thread moved from BryceTalk to the Commons.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes sorry I should have added a "Moved at the OP's request" note to do that. :roll:

Doing it now in retrospect.

edited December 1969

No worries. Thanks :)

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

A very interesting piece and a fine artist, have always found Michael Frank's work fascinating and pleasing to look at, would he qualify as a Nouveau Neo Dadist :) I wonder, among his influences maybe Max Ernst?
    Just love all the organic plants that he does actually give life to inside his renders, very clever to make things appear alive.

edited December 1969

Glad you enjoyed the read and the art. MF's work is engrossing. I spent hours going through all of his stuff posted on deviantArt. I don't know about linking with the Dadists though.

edited May 2013

Feature 04: Horohas just been posted. It is the final in the series. My thanks to all the artists for taking the time to share their thoughts and their art. With a little luck the promotion of some of Bryce's finest artists will spur a little more attention for the program. It would be a shame for Bryce to go extinct. Let us hope that DAZ 3D are not planning on letting this happen.

I encourage you all to share the artist features on your blogs and social networking sites.

I hope you all have enjoyed reading the interviews and viewing the amazing variety of art produced by these guys.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited December 1969

Thank you Jim for doing those. They might prove to be great promotion for Bryce, perhaps even DAZ 3D gets aware that they have a jewel in their vaults that ought to be revived for the benefit of all. Thank you for all the work you've put into this.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

That was a nice interview, Jim/Horo. Thanks for the work.

edited December 1969

@ Horo - It is really you guys that deserve the thanks for being so generous with time and resources. Bryce was a program I felt compelled to explore in this way, and it turned out to be a very rewarding experience. I look forward to cracking open the Bryce Mentoring material.

@ Guss Nemo - Thanks, glad you enjoyed the feature :)

edited December 1969

Heads up folks!

Fresh off the press we have a fresh artist feature from another fabulous surreal and abstract Bryce artist. A good many Bryce users will know Sylverdali already, but for the outsider, do not miss her beautiful dream fragments.

Full interview and art feature is up at DigiSprawl

edited December 1969

We miss Silverdali's work here in these forums. Her artwork is special, inspiring and technically superb. I've just read through the interview and was awed by the works presented of her.

Thank you very much for doing and publishing these interviews. They are good for Bryce. Now all we have to do is make the DAZ 3D top brass look at them.

edited December 1969

I figured she must have posted here at some point. I'm glad I decided to do some more features, Sylverdali was definitely one I wanted to run for some time now, so I'm quite happy. She has a fantastic style and technical understanding of Bryce (well at least I assume she does), but she seems to be quite happy to play that part down.

Maybe I'll send off an email to the powers that be at DAZ and see if I can't get some sort of response. I've just stumbled upon some more great artists I'd like to feature too, so who knows how long this could go on.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    I figured she must have posted here at some point. I'm glad I decided to do some more features, Sylverdali was definitely one I wanted to run for some time now, so I'm quite happy. She has a fantastic style and technical understanding of Bryce (well at least I assume she does), but she seems to be quite happy to play that part down.

Maybe I'll send off an email to the powers that be at DAZ and see if I can't get some sort of response. I've just stumbled upon some more great artists I'd like to feature too, so who knows how long this could go on.

Excellent interview Jim, very interesting and also, thanks for the links too! Bonus for us. Lots of insights and not too long winded. Very good. Thanks for doing these for Bryce, hopefully it will inspire the community to try new and fun things. Bryce is not just for landscapes.

edited December 1969

Thanks David. Glad you enjoyed the feature. Doing these features gave me a much greater understanding of Bryce's power and potential, and inspired me to at least want to get into the program, though I still have not had the chance. It would be fantastic if others took away the same level of inspiration. It would be great to see more people getting into and staying active with Bryce and the community.

I'm not sure if you see much coming through from the links I post. I'm not certain what people do when they come to my site, but the Genesis 2 review and Luxus guide seem to be the focus of most attention.

We’ll have to do a follow up Q&A soon. I’m sure you’ll have a lot to talk about as you dig further into Octane and 3Delight, not to say there isn’t a lot more Bryce talk. Would be good to have some contrast/comparison.

edited November 2013

New feature up - Orbital/Joe Vinton See top post for more details.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the update, Jim. I ought to have a look more regularly since I've missed the interview with Steve Winter. Amazing work both of them but Steve's models made exclusively in Bryce 4 are amazingly amazing. Yes, the additional features that came after Bryce 4 eat away precious memory and only 64-bit could resolved this.

edited December 1969

Glad you're enjoying these Horo. Steve's models are amazing. I always forget just what Bryce can do in terms of modelling, but a look over at shareCG shows that a good deal of modelling has been done with the program. I just can't imagine myself being able to get much out of it as a modeller. Even if Bryce were updated just for 64bit it would greatly extend these last days it has. I still think it could be a competitive program given the right development, time and marketing. I guess if the numbers are right DAZ will roll the dice, at least I hope they would.

Oh, you can subscribe to the feed via email, so you get notified whenever there's a new post. Here's the feed http://www.digisprawl.com/blog/feed/. It ain't much to look at but it gives you the gist of what's going on.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Jim.

edited December 1969

Interesting reading these interviews make, thank you for sharing them with us Jim. It is fascinating to see the different perspectives and how Bryce has inspired people to create and in spite of difficulties, continue to create with Bryce. Just read the last two artists back to back, quite a contrast between approaches, but both still fantastic in their own right.

edited December 1969

Jim has been busy again I see. I know this is not Bryce but it is still well worth a look and a read.

http://www.digisprawl.com/blog/artist-feature/artist-feature-eliane-ck/

Thanks Jim

edited December 2013

It is, indeed it is. Wasn't it Ealan who said something like "Art is when it makes you think"? Made sense to me then (5 years ago) and it still does.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Hey guys. Thanks for updating the thread David, much appreciated. There is actually another Bryce related feature planned for the near future.

You're right Horo, Eliane often says something to that effect in her various interviews.

Thanks for your support. It is always appreciated. It must be getting close to time to do catch-up feature with both of you. You both always seem to have something new to show with a stream of tutorials, products and the constant pulling of render engines to pieces.

edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    Hey guys. Thanks for updating the thread David, much appreciated. There is actually another Bryce related feature planned for the near future.

You're right Horo, Eliane often says something to that effect in her various interviews.

Thanks for your support. It is always appreciated. It must be getting close to time to do catch-up feature with both of you. You both always seem to have something new to show with a stream of tutorials, products and the constant pulling of render engines to pieces.

I'm sure there'd be no problem with providing you with an update, up to 250 video's now on the channel and new stuff has been unearthed to keep people entertained. Progressing with Bryce, Wings, Octane and even DS (the Dark Side) as it is knows. But in ways where we can bring Bryce solutions into a DS setting and then in turn, learn things from 3D delight and bring them back into Bryce. There's always new things to discover - that's half the fun.