astronaut suites

SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

I can't believe that with the recent release of a lunar lander and the moon surface nobody thought to release a realistic looking astronaut suite complete with country flags for the arm and changeable names on the chest.

Hope somebody is able to do a really great version ... make sure the helmet looks like real.

good luck should you decide to accept this mission.

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,320
    edited December 1969

I think a lot of people just use the M3 Space Suit of Michael 3 and the texture add on pack.

http://www.daz3d.com/m3-space-suit

http://www.daz3d.com/explorer-unit

arp_lunar_1_1.jpg
    850 x 463 - 86K
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited September 2013

We really need something for Genesis, though.

I'd especially like a bulky, industrialised one, in the style of those shown in 'Alien'.

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/6432-Nostromo-Space-Suit

Would especially love for something like DzFire's line of military-style armoured suits, to be Genesis-ready, too. Love the look of them! Could do some great futuristic zero-gravity military themes with those.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

I think a lot of people just use the M3 Space Suit of Michael 3 and the texture add on pack.

http://www.daz3d.com/m3-space-suit

http://www.daz3d.com/explorer-unit

I wonder if that will work with Genesis. Interesting that when I did a search for Astronaut, nothing came up.

If its Michael 3 then your probably looking at a fairly old outfit in terms of materials and to be frank with you it doesn't even start to look realistic. Gone are the days when we can fart out cartoons with no basis in reality and expect that to sell.

While I appreciate your feedback, those old suites belong in cartoons with Tom and Jerry, not a serious 2013 professional render. They don't even begin to look real. It's time for something new.

maxresdefault.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 74K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited September 2013

Given that a spacesuit is pretty bulky, I would suggest just parenting Genesis to the chest or neck of the suit and hiding all the parts below the neck - then pose the suit instead of the figure, and adjust the head within the helmet as needed. You would of course need to rework the material settings.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Turbosquid has a few options for astronaut space suits.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/space-woman-rigged-3d-ma/467755

I gotta give you an A for effort, thank you... I really like the looks of that one for $100 bucks but too bad its not a astronaut outfit and no way I'm I shelling out $300 bucks for that first one and it doesn't even look much better then the 10 dollar recommendation. I wouldn't even begin to know how to want to use them with Genesis 2.

I suppose this will just have to be another pipe dream. It's pretty depressing to think that they would put the Lunar themes out and not have a new spacesuit for Genesis or 2f.

I don't know why they call this the "Product Suggestions" thread... maybe they should call this the "How to recycle old outfits on new characters" thread.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Given that a spacesuit is pretty bulky, I would suggest just parenting Genesis to the chest or neck of the suit and hiding all the parts below the neck - then pose the suit instead of the figure, and adjust the head within the helmet as needed. You would of course need to rework the material settings.

I tried to use the M3 spacesuit on Genesis about a week ago with no luck. Couldn't get the gloves and boots to pose with the suit among other problems.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

I tried to use the M3 spacesuit on Genesis about a week ago with no luck. Couldn't get the gloves and boots to pose with the suit among other problems.

It looks as if the suit has a single gloves figure for both hands, so you have two options: conform the gloves to the suit (probably easiest as long as it worked) or load two copies of the gloves, hide one hand on each, and parent each to the matching hand of the suit.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

If its Michael 3 then your probably looking at a fairly old outfit in terms of materials and to be frank with you it doesn't even start to look realistic.

Maybe not, but the mesh itself is still pretty good — and the helmet has a full set of slideable sunshades, tinted visors etc. If it had some proper modern material sets, especially for D|S, then that ought to compensate for most of its ancient creakiness.
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

There is a M4 Space Suit over at Renderosity.

m4Spacesuit.png
    400 x 600 - 76K
    edited September 2013

Honestly, the closest I've found for Genesis are Midnight Story products. Their Hyper Suit is a little more more astronaut-like, in terms of helmet, but it's got this strange pointed shape on the rear of the head. Excellent attention to detail, but that part of it has the unfortunate consequence of making it seem like it was designed for Santa's helpers with pointed hats. ;)

The Nano Suit has a more traditional head, but more of an eye-like visor on the front.

Both, however, look more like segmented, metal-plated affairs. They only really work if you're setting something far into the future.

There's a product I can't remember the name of, which is for Genesis. It's like an environmental hazard suit and coloured orange. I almost purchased it for a near-future astronaut look (doesn't have a back-pack for an oxygen supply, although, was going use something from another set for that), but then realised that, from certain angles, it's clear that the helmet isn't sealed to the rest of the clothing. Obviously, not what you need when you want to depict a character in a vacuum!

edited September 2013

Honestly, the closest I've found for Genesis are Midnight Story products. Their Hyper Suit is a little more more astronaut-like, in terms of helmet, but it's got this strange pointed shape on the rear of the head. Excellent attention to detail, but that part of it has the unfortunate consequence of making it seem like it was designed for Santa's helpers with pointed hats. ;)

The Nano Suit has a more traditional head, but more of an eye-like visor on the front.

Both, however, look more like segmented, metal-plated affairs. They only really work if you're setting something far into the future.

There's a product I can't remember the name of, which is for Genesis. It's like an environmental hazard suit and colored orange. I almost purchased it for a near-future astronaut look (doesn't have a back-pack for an oxygen supply, although, was going use something from another set for that), but then realised that, from certain angles, it's clear that the helmet isn't sealed to the rest of the clothing. Obviously, not what you need when you want to depict a character in a vacuum!

I like the hyper suit and Nano suit and own them both. I found with the Nano suit that if you go into the surfaces tabs and change the shader/material for the visor (labeled glass for some reason), it's a brilliant looking outfit but like you said, for the far future.

In the next few months a new movie is coming out called, "Gravity" and its a near future, Earth space station sci-fi thriller that has inspired me to want to make some Astronauts. I thought I'd come check out my favorites here at DAZ3d and see if they had any good suites.

I love doing sci-fi renders and it would be great to have a astronaut to go with the models, moon terrain and space shuttles and everything else already recently put out by DAZ... I would have thought the astronaut suit was a no brainer and something was in the works already... I mean, we are talking about an outfit for figure posing that these guys specialize in.

Go figure. Still, thanks for the ideas.

nano1a.jpg
    1192 x 851 - 49K
    Post edited by SnowPheonix on
  • Starbase 1 - NickStarbase 1 - Nick Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I agree - I'd buy a Genesis space suit instantly.

The old M3 one is really not very good - a real spacesuit has internal pressure, and has a distinctly inflated look to it, with nothing hanging slack. They are thick with many layers of material too.

The M4 radiosity example is OK for an SciFi suit but is not at all realistic.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Hmm it could be done just played around with my prototype suit did a bit of pushing and pulling. I really won't know if it's a goer till I can see the problem associated with the bulk and size of the mesh it may very well only fir the base genesis shape as the stretching and sizing would wreck all the bit like tubes and how to attach the tubes from the back to the front and still get the body to twist and bend without major distortions happening would be a nightmare. Well see

SS-3.jpg
    891 x 921 - 203K
    SS-2.jpg
    891 x 921 - 214K
    SS-1.jpg
    891 x 921 - 223K
    edited October 2013

Interesting look!

It might be an idea to adapt the Mœbius-designed suits for the Nostromo, from 'Alien' (visual reference given above). They're bulky enough to pass for modern-day or near-future and have the bonus of no obvious external pipes and such (save for the rear, but they could possibly be eliminated with an inference of oxygen being supplied internally).

Something like this product seemed very much like it, until I noticed that the helmet and torso clothing have an obvious gap, alas:

http://www.daz3d.com/galactic-corps-defender

Alternatively, you could attempt something like a bio-hazard or radiation suit with a gas mask (not unlike the yellow one from 'Back To The Future') with a back-mounted air supply, along with a number of alternative textures: White astronaut, yellow nuclear, black biohazard, etcetera (or simply allow the user to select portions of the suit and custom-colour/shade them).

Something like that could be neat for depicting futuristic salvage teams going through ancient space hulks...

edited December 1969

Man my internet is dropping out big time at the moment.
    I tried some bend tests with the prototype and wasn't too bad glove bends worked better than what I thought.
    The smooth modifier is working ok and shape morph will need a bit of work tried one with F5. So will keep going for now.

SS-6.jpg
    886 x 888 - 127K
    SS-5.jpg
    886 x 888 - 132K
    SS-4.jpg
    886 x 888 - 151K
    edited December 1969

Well I better hit the sheets and get some sleep.
    This is about 3hours work it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
    I threw on the Hyper suit helmet just to get an idea. Probably
    could add some gadgets plugs ect ... textures are a bit rough just
    a straight AO bake in Modo,

Space-Suit02.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 325K
    Space-Suit01.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 321K
    Space-Suit03.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 480K
    edited October 2013

I added a Helmet and Backpack, yes I know it's not like the original astronaut suit but that me, I like heading my own direction. Trying out some different color schemes to. The helmet doesn't bent it moves with the chest as does the back-pack this avoids any mesh distortion. I also had to do a foot and toe scaling pose on genesis to get the foot proportion right.

White01.jpg
    1000 x 1320 - 333K
    White02.jpg
    1000 x 1320 - 345K
    White03.jpg
    1000 x 1320 - 335K
    Post edited by Midnight_stories on
    edited October 2013

For a futuristic spin on an astronaut suit, I'm liking how this is progressing, more and more! Especially the backpack design and gloves.

Additional suggestions:

* A sole for the boots to imply separate footwear and allow for traction. Or even textured metallic to imply it's magnetic.
    * A utility belt, possibly with optional extendable easy-pose cable for tethering to a spacecraft.

EDIT: Also maybe some kind of digital or LED display on a forearm for things like oxygen supply, magnetic boots on/of, communications and so on. Could just be a few ambiguous lights/switches (plus, avoiding written words allows for the astronaut to be from any nation, not just an English-speaker).

edited October 2013

For a futuristic spin on an astronaut suit, I'm liking how this is progressing, more and more! Especially the backpack design and gloves.

Additional suggestions:

* A sole for the boots to imply separate footwear and allow for traction. Or even textured metallic to imply it's magnetic.
    * A utility belt, possibly with optional extendable easy-pose cable for tethering to a spacecraft.

EDIT: Also maybe some kind of digital or LED display on a forearm for things like oxygen supply, magnetic boots on/of, communications and so on. Could just be a few ambiguous lights/switches (plus, avoiding written words allows for the astronaut to be from any nation, not just an English-speaker).

One of the main reasons I didn't put gadgets on the suit was the morph totally rips them apart. So I think I'll add all that stuff as smart props that way that only get scaled and no distortion. I could do some sort of conforming heel like I did on the Xeon suit. I'm happy the way the rigging is, got around a lot of problems. Glove where the hardest and just used morphs to fix them. Any gadgets you think might suit this throw some images at me they might give me ideas. Thanks for the feedback !!!
    Jockey2.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 429K
    Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited December 1969

Great looking suit midnight! i like the look of the helmet.

edited December 1969

Well have got the first lot through QA now working on G2F version I can show this one. Wow G6 is so difficult to do morphs for, takes the longest of all.

Popup01-G2F.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 484K
    edited December 1969

Are each of the padded sections able to be individually recoloured/shaded?

edited December 1969

Are each of the padded sections able to be individually recoloured/shaded?

list of items
    1.Suit :conforming clothes with auto figure morphs
    2.Gloves :conforming clothes with auto figure morphs
    3.Boots :conforming clothes with auto figure morphs
    4.Hood with Mic :conforming clothes with auto figure morphs
    5.Pouches :conforming clothes with auto figure morphs
    6.Badges :conforming clothes with auto figure morphs
    7.Back-Pack :conforming clothes with auto figure morphs
    8.Front-Pack :conforming clothes with auto figure morphs
    9.Helmet :conforming clothes with auto figure morphs
    10.Icepick L/R hands plus center :conforming props

Here's a look at typical material zones should be like this on most items.

Suit-Col-map.jpg
    1100 x 1000 - 241K
    edited December 1969

Also I made a last minute attempt at wrinkles my first go so don't laugh too much first times are always the worst so I should get better with experience. It's only for the suit and for Daz Studio I made 5 maps going from 0 to 100%. Poser people can still apply the normals manually.

Popup04.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 486K
    edited December 1969

Diagram is very useful, thank you for that. Excellent wrinkling effect, too! Does that have to be applied to the entire costume or can it be individually applied to 'suit', 'suit 2', 'gloves', etcetera?

edited December 1969

The way it would work is you apply the material first here a look at the mats sorry had to hide the head due to agreement with DAZ. Then you would apply one of the normal map presets with only alters the normals. It only applies to the suit as that was all that I did, like I said the wrinkles in the suit were a last minute thing and was never suppose to be apart of it, but I think it work now.

Popup05-Hide.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 411K
    edited December 1969

Also have made some blank templates for the badges so you can put your own logo's in

Badges-show.jpg
    1040 x 2000 - 273K