Very detailed scene...OUT OF MEMORY..

mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I'm working on a very detailed scene.... that has many (m4) soldiers that are in the background... I have yet to compile the mid ground figures and the main figures in the foreground... Bryce runs out of memory before I could finish adding the other figures in the background portion.... Is there a way to avoid the memory crash...? Bryce 7.1Pro... Can several scenes be "saved" and then merged into the same scene or will that have the same problem.... I was even considering getting the background finished with all the characters in place and then rendering the image and then using the JPEG as a backdrop... to reduce the file size and thereby avoid crashing... but I haven't been able to even finish that part without crashing... Any suggestions as to how one does a very detailed Bryce scene...?
Steve

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,104
    edited December 1969

Bryce is (unfortunately) still a 32-bit application and can only address 2 GB. Bryce also does everything in memory and cannot use virtual memory by bleeding parts out to the HD.

If your computer sports 4 or more GB of memory, you can make Bryce large address aware (LAA) and thus give Bryce around 3.5 GB.

Another method would be to create part of the scene, render, save. Then render an object mask and save that one too. Then do the next part, rendering again also an object mask. Finally, you can assemble the individual renders with the help of the masks in a graphics application.

Merging scenes won't help - again because of the memory limitation.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Thank you for this... I had forgotten about the LAA situation... I had downloaded that a few years ago... I had seen a Brycetech tutorial using the object masking.. again I had forgotten this technique.... Thanks for the reminder... I'll run the LAA program and give that a try...as well as the object masking and taking into PhotoShop...
    Thanks again.
    Steve

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,104
    edited December 1969

You're welcome. Best of luck. Perhaps we'll see the result of your labours.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Another good tip is that when you export the figures from DAZ or Poser, if they are wearing clothes, don't export the body parts where they can not be seen (no need to export feet if they are wearing boots etc.).
    This will make each imported figure much less memory intensive as it will reduce the geometry by loads.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

If you are importing objects that have large image textures, you may be able to reduce the resolution of those textures to use less memory depending on your scene, possibly quite dramatically. For example you don't need a 2000x2000 pixel image for something that's only 100 pixels across. If it is appropriate and easy to do, you can also consider eliminating image textures entirely and just using Bryce materials on some imported objects.
    I bring things in from DAZ Studio, and personally find Texture Atlas quite handy for quickly condensing and resizing a large number of image textures (such as M4 might have) all at once, but of course you can do it manually too.
    If some of the M4 figures are the same, possibly instancing rather than multiple copies of the same figure could reduce the memory consumption as well.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754
    edited October 2013

Hi,

Maybe not a reply, but a follow-up. I have/had this issue a lot too. I did download LAA and set it to allow Bryce to be aware of the larger memory. However, when I run the process monitor, it still stops at about 1.4 GB.
    I have a 64 bits system with 4,00 GB RAM on a Core Duo Windows. Is there any idea why it might not work?
    In the 'Advanced mode' it does state that Bryce is LAA, but I don't see any proof.
    I do have the .NET 4.0 framework.

I would appreciate some advice!

Thanks in advance, Hans

EDIT! Now I suddenly do something (instancing) that actually shows the working of the LAA! It is now going up to 3.6 GB. But, unfortunately, it is still crashing.......

Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    Hi,

Maybe not a reply, but a follow-up. I have/had this issue a lot too. I did download LAA and set it to allow Bryce to be aware of the larger memory. However, when I run the process monitor, it still stops at about 1.4 GB.
    I have a 64 bits system with 4,00 GB RAM on a Core Duo Windows. Is there any idea why it might not work?
    In the 'Advanced mode' it does state that Bryce is LAA, but I don't see any proof.
    I do have the .NET 4.0 framework.

I would appreciate some advice!

Thanks in advance, Hans

EDIT! Now I suddenly do something (instancing) that actually shows the working of the LAA! It is now going up to 3.6 GB. But, unfortunately, it is still crashing.......

Memory gets eaten quite quickly. However, if you are getting crashes then it probably isn't memory related at this point. If you are working with high polygon source meshes then painting can get slow. Never paint continuous strokes, always "dab" the brush. Continuous strokes will cause several problems and one of them is slowing down the painting so much it makes it seem like Bryce has crashed.

Another issue is deletions. Try to avoid these common mistakes:
    1. Never use the Eraser Brush in the IL, it is not fully implemented so it breaks the logic of the scene when used. In fact, there is no safe means that I am aware of the delete instances while still in the Lab. Best bet is to exit the Instance Lab, and then delete the instances you don't want. This is another benefit of dabbing instead of dragging the brush; any rogue instances will be localized and easy to spot and delete manually.
    2. Even though you waited to exit the IL before attempting to delete instances, it can still cause a crash if this is the 4th or 5th time in the session that you have deleted instances. So this operation will only function a handful of times.
    3. Sometimes I have found the IL will crash when I try to re-paint instances over areas where instances had been previously painted but deleted. 90% of the time I don't get this problem, but I have seen it a few times. Generally once instances have been deleted everything is fine but sometimes repainting can cause crashes.
    4. Careful with terrains. The IL seems to relate the placement of instances based upon the current topography of the terrain. Likely it gives the polygons a numeric sequence to help the IL keep track of where instances have been painted. When you first paint onto a terrain and then exit the IL, the new group Unnamed is linked to the terrain. It is essential to ungroup unnamed from the terrain before you make any edits to the terrain via the terrain Lab. If Unnamed is still linked to the terrain when you are making edits to the terrain, Bryce will crash. I think this is because the number and sequence of polygons changes after editing the terrain, altering the topology, causing the IL to lose track of where the instances were supposed to be placed.

Hope this helps.

One last thing. Remember there is a roughly 500% memory increase for instances after the scene has been saved and re-opened. It is very easy to see the task manager saying memory is only at around 1.7gb at the time of save, only to have the scene run out of memory when re-opened because after the increase the true memory usage is well over 3.6gb.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754
    edited December 1969

Hi Rashad,

Thanks for the information on the memory. It may easily have had something to do with repopulating a scene with instances after deletion of instances from the same area. What happened, as I saw in the Process Monitor, is when I clicked the OK button on the IL, the memory kept at about 1.5 for some time and then rose in a straight line to 3.6 GB and Bryce crashed. (It told me it had crashed, so I guess that must be the case). I decided to start the scene anew. I made a copy of the last saved scene, deleted all objects (trees, grass, etc.) and started to repaint the grass. I made sure that it was less dense than before. So now I see some patches without grass, but that is not too bad. I now populated my terrain with grass and an animal and memory is savely below 1 GB. I'll safe regularly and start adding elements and see where the software starts to be unhappy.

Hope everything will turn out for the best!

Kind regards and thanks again.
    Hans