The gift for Day 1 are Bryce Elements

SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Horo or David last Chistmas you posted a freebie http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13080/#188460 and I was wondering for others that don't have this is there a working link?

and here is what your HDRI looks like in Blender using the Cycles render engine. What amazes me is that this is the only light source in the image. First time I have even seen a HDRI gives excellent results without any further lights added. I am offically impressed. :)

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,116
    edited December 1969

@Pete - very well done! The HDRI backdrop is mirrored. Perhaps this was intentional. It is very nice to see this Blender/Cycles render. I'm currently completely absorbed by assessing how DS UE2, Carrara, Bryce and Octane react under special HDRI conditions.

If IBL works correctly, it is usually possible to use the HDRI as the only light source. This results in a render with natural light. However, depending on the geometry of the object under the light, there may be parts that stay fully or mostly unlit by the HDRI. That's when you would need one or a few weak light sources that don't cast shadow.

The Xmas present was deleted around a month later than the deadline set. But since it is a freebie anyway and continued interest, I've uploaded it again and it can be downloaded. This is the link http://www.horo.ch/xchg/Xmas2012.zip. The file siize is 272 MB and it contains stuff for Bryce, Carrara and DS (in alphabetical order).

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Thank you Horo.

Mirrored..oops you are correct. I forgot to set it back to Equirectangular and boy does that make a diffrence (I just did a quick test. I was playing about with the HDRI settings and forgot to set it back..good catch. I will do another render tonight.

In DS HDRI's don't give good Specular hence why we need an added light source so this result for me was a big surprise, a welcome surprise. :)

edited December 1969

I think DS UE2 is not what we usually expect from IBL. If you want to get bored, have a look here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28358/P30/.

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo I have been watching this thread but haven't seen that latest posts for a while...good and interesting read.

edited December 1969

here we go Horo, unmirrored much better too.

King6_copy.jpg
    1035 x 1462 - 457K
    edited December 1969

@Pete - light looks even better but the backdrop is still mirrored. If this is a Bryce render, I wonder how you've managed that.

edited December 1969

This is Blender and I am still learning it. :)

edited December 1969

Ah, that explains it. I'm still - rather unsuccessfully - attempting to get to grips with DS. I wasn't aware that Blender does IBL. But I haven't opened it for ages and have probably an antiquated version installed.

edited December 1969

Well I am stumped as Blender has two modes Mirror Ball and Equirectangular and both give the same results I will keep playing and see what I can come up with.

edited December 1969

With Mirrorball, they mean angular map I reckon. Because a true mirror ball projection looks a bit like an angular map, but is completely different, nevertheless.

edited December 1969

Horo I have checked this and setting it to Equirectangular gives me the correct orientation. I checked this by looking at your HDRI and it matches the last image I posted so I am not sure what you mean by mirroring. I have also checked this by loading in other HDRI's checking which is left and right first in Photoshop. Note the keyboard and shelving unit to its left, exactly what I see when I look at both the jpg and HDRI.

edited December 1969

I think you have taken "LR-night-env.jpg" from the Studio folder. This is an LDRI, or environmap in DS, and it is mirrored because UE2 maps it on the outside of a sphere but the camera is on the inside, hence left and right are swapped. I haven't figured out how the environment sphere itself can be flipped.

The "LR-night.mov" QTVR in the main folder gives you the correct view. Also the HDRI in the Studio folder is mirrored and shifted by 35° to compensate for the flaw.

If you want it right, use the HDRI in the Carrara folder and flip the LDRI "LR-night-env.jpg". It appears that Blender, like DS, uses two different images: an HDRI for the light and an LDRI for the backdrop. By the way, the HDRIs in the Bryce folder are also correctly oriented but are in the angular map projection while those for Carrara and DS are spherical.

Good luck! :)

edited December 1969

No I used the Studio HDR but I see what you mean as I just had a look at the Bryce HDR which is the reverse so I now understand why you said what you said.

edited December 1969

and no Blender can use the HDRI as a backdrop or it can use both a HDRI and LDR but I have just tested the Carrara one and it works perfectly. Thank you Horo.

edited December 1969

You're more than welcome, Pete. Generally, I'd say using the HDRI for light and backdrop is the preferred method (one trap less to fall into). But if Blender cannot tone-map the HDRI for the backdrop (as Bryce can, but Carrara can't), the option to add a LDRI backdrop is a great option.