Fenric's Skin Doctor Released!

JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Fenric has updated his Shader Doctor plugin, which was already a necessity for anyone using Poser content in Carrara, and added Skin Doctor to it as well!

Listen up, everyone who uses Poser characters in Carrara, this little plugin is (IMO) a must-have. I love the texture room, and playing with textures, but as much as I love it no-one wants to spend hundreds of tedious hours going through every shader of every Poser product you put in your scene, tinkering with each sub-shader one by one, and trying to assign new values that will make it Carrara-friendly. Shader doctor allows you to pretty much turn your Poser imported shaders into Carrara-friendly shaders in one click.

The Skin Doctor add-on, may arguably be even more useful - and it's currently a free add on as part of Shader Doctor! (For those who don't know, Shader Doctor itself is ridiculously cheap already - just google Fenric Shader Doctor to find his page and see). The regular Shader Doctor wasn't built to be good for changing skin shaders from the Poser default to something that will look good and realistic in Carrara, so Fenric has put together Skin Doctor, so that in once click you can add SSS, make the specularity something that would be correct in Carrara (most poser materials turn to super shiny plastic when in Carrara) and make a nice skin texture (the example shots of before/after that Fenric posted in the carrara cafe are very nice). It even addresses the shaders of the eyes.

I've been super-excited for two things to be released, first Philw's Portrait Studio (out now and in the daz store!) which I've been loving, and now Fenric's Skin Doctor. Christmas has come early! :)

I've ran over and snatched it up, but haven't yet had an opportunity to play with it (I'm still in the middle of a render), but I didn't see an announcement here, so I wanted to let everyone know.

Comments

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

If I already have a license, do I just grab the trial version?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    If I already have a license, do I just grab the trial version?

As I understand it, yes. Fenric confirmed on the other forum, that it's the fact you already have a Shaderdoctor.key file in your extensions from the first time you purchased and installed it. Leave that key alone, but put the new shaderdoctor text, mcx, and dat files in your extensions directory and you should be good to go (as I understand it).

I'm still waiting on my render, so I can play...

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Cool thanks. I asked at the Cafe, but it seems postings there disappear for an undetermined amount of time before appearing

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I was able to find his space...
    http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/products/category/carrara-plugins/

Fenric has some really powerful, time saving, products.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Fenric has updated his Shader Doctor plugin, which was already a necessity for anyone using Poser content in Carrara, and added Skin Doctor to it as well!

Listen up, everyone who uses Poser characters in Carrara, this little plugin is (IMO) a must-have. I love the texture room, and playing with textures, but as much as I love it no-one wants to spend hundreds of tedious hours going through every shader of every Poser product you put in your scene, tinkering with each sub-shader one by one, and trying to assign new values that will make it Carrara-friendly. Shader doctor allows you to pretty much turn your Poser imported shaders into Carrara-friendly shaders in one click.

The Skin Doctor add-on, may arguably be even more useful - and it's currently a free add on as part of Shader Doctor! (For those who don't know, Shader Doctor itself is ridiculously cheap already - just google Fenric Shader Doctor to find his page and see). The regular Shader Doctor wasn't built to be good for changing skin shaders from the Poser default to something that will look good and realistic in Carrara, so Fenric has put together Skin Doctor, so that in once click you can add SSS, make the specularity something that would be correct in Carrara (most poser materials turn to super shiny plastic when in Carrara) and make a nice skin texture (the example shots of before/after that Fenric posted in the carrara cafe are very nice). It even addresses the shaders of the eyes.

thanks for the heads up JonStark.
    Fenric's plugins are essential for Carrara users.
    Most of all I use
    1)shader doctor,
    2the plugin that lets you change the saturation and value of a texture without going back to photoshop
    3) the tree duplicate command.
    4) the up and down keys that let you cursor down the instances list

I use shader doctor on nearly everything
    it just saves so much tiome as do all the other fenric plugins I own

thanks fenric

really good of you to do this stuff....
    ahh I am going all gushy now :)

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

I agree--I use "Shader Doctor" on almost everything. I'll be using "Skin Doctor" on all characters from now own--the results are AMAZING. I tend to use the "Multi Shader Editor" on things I need to up the bump on. These plug-ins are so useful, they save me hours. Thanks, Fenric!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    edited December 1969

I have to get these. Somehow I can't login to buy them. I can't now anyways. But I have all of the ones he sells here at DAZ, and love them! I still need a lot of practice with ERC, for my own good - but that part of my project isn't here yet - so good to go on that. I have checked all of fabas tutorials, Phil's from Advanced Techniques, and some good ol' experimenting practice - enough to see how powerful and easy it is.
    His Pose tools packs are absolutely essential for me. Reversing, duplicating, exporting, tree duplicate.......
    Edit > Fenric > is a great place to go for what I'm wanting to do!

Fenric rocks!
    He does some cool renders too, from time to time.
    So anyways. Soon I'll send him a letter full of cash so he can e-mail me his plugins! :)
    Cheers all!

Oh... and Thanks jonstark! I didn't know he was making this. What a wonderfully powerful new addition to what you can do!
    Shaders are everything in Carrara - Everything!

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

I don't want to put much here, it's not polite. But the answer is very simple

Don't try to log in - user accounts are not enabled.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    I don't want to put much here, it's not polite. But the answer is very simple

Don't try to log in - user accounts are not enabled.

Thank you for that, and I know what you mean - and thanks for that, too. This is where I live, for the most part... so thank you for telling me... here! :)
    So. Don't log in. That is definitely what my hangup was! Thank you! :)