Ongoing DIM Nightmares

ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

What am I doing wrong? I uninstalled everything except CMS and DSON. No Carrara, no Studio, new DIM install. I followed all the advice and decided to install Studio and Carrara USING the DIM. BUT, the software installers do not show up in DIM. Now what do I?

Can someone PLEASE explain how to get this all working, so I can use the thousands of dollars of investment that sits idly on my desk!!

Comments

• edited December 1969

You probably have to delete the old paths for dim that are in your dim install. To check this

1. Left-click on the little gear in the top right corner of DIM, right beneath the X close button.
    2. Select the Applications tab.

You should only see a single Carrara or Daz Studio install for each bit level (So Carrara 8.5 32bit and Carrara 8.5 64bit)

If you have more than one, or it points to the wrong folder, then you have a choice.

You can either uninstall everything in dim, delete all paths to the software you uninstalled, and then reinstall everything from scratch...

Or you can go into your software and point the content libraries to the place the content actually got installed.

Boojum the brown bunny

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
    edited December 1969

But the first problem is that the Studio and Carrara Program files do not appear inside of DIM, even if I click the green DL & Install button in my Product Library.

Can I install C8.5 and Studio4.6 directly, without using DIM? And still have DIM functioning as it should?

• edited December 1969

You should be able to, but it should still appear in the applications tab. If it doesn't, you can manually add it by clicking on the + button inside the applications tab and browsing to the install location for the content.

Boojum the brown bunny

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

I am having the same problem but onlu with the C8 Native content, the C8.5 pro content showed up when I purchased it but the C8 never did. I see from other posts that it has shown up for others. It also will not d/l with the DIM installer in my product library. Maybe a glitch that just recently happened to DIM?

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Just solved it for my issue. At some time I must have hidden that file because I clicked show hidden and there it was :)

edited December 1969

It seems to be working for me. I manually installed C8.5 and Studio4.6. The the C8 content using DiM worked, is showing up in C.

Now to install the Genesis components, which I am understanding go in the Docs/DAZ directories for Studio content.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Click on the Download Filters button in the upper left of the "Ready to Download" tab and make sure "Software" and your OS (Win/Mac 32/64bit) are selected.

edited September 2013

I finally think I have it right!

How do I find out what was in the essentials for Genesis2 Bundle? I cannot find a list of what was included with the C8.5 Bundle.

Post edited by Connatic on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Connatic said:
    I finally think I have it right!

How do I find out what was in the essentials for Genesis2 Bundle? I cannot find a list of what was included with the C8.5 Bundle.

If you click on the Information (letter i on a circle) next to the product in DIM it will take you to the readme for the product. In the case of G2F Starter Essentials, it includes the G2F base, basicwear, and the SubSurface Shader for DS.

• edited December 1969

also, if you right click on the product in the dim installed tab and select "Installed Files" it will tell you everything that the product installed on your system and where it put it. I use that a lot to find out what folder it stuck things in. :)

Boojum the brown bunny

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited December 1969

...OK I uninstalled the C8 Beta and all its modules to do a full clean install of the full release. Everything works fine, the SN worked, and it sees both my Daz Library and runtime.

My setup is a bit strange in that I am using two drives, the main (boot) drive for the apps and a separate runtime drive for all the content. I am ready to now install the Carrara Native and other Carrara content I have yet not sure where to install to. Does it have to go in the C8.5 folder in C: or can it be installed on my D: (runtime) drive?

Also, when I open the Applications tab in the DIM preferences, there are actually two versions of 8.5 listed. One in "C:/Programme files/Daz 3D/Carrara 8" and another in "C:/Programme files/Daz 3D/Carrara 8.5" The first folder is empty save for an install of the Woodlands Environment Kit. The second one actually has the new C8.5Pro install. Can (or should) I uninstall the Woodlands Kit and delete the Carrara8 folder, then reinstall the kit to the Carrara 8.5 folder (or again, can it be installed on my D drive?)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

Yes.
    If DIM is how Woodlands got installed to the wrong folder, use DIM to uninstall it. Then go back into DIM and remove that directory from the applications tab, then reinstall any products that were using that directory.

All of the Native Content products have to get installed directly into the Carrara installation directory.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

Also Kyote Kid,
    Congrats! Glad you've finally got 8.5!!! Yeah!