Mec4d's Beards and Bodyhair are here! Hurray!

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Such a cool product!

hairy_test.png
    600 x 600 - 612K
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Thank you, yes I am going to make it soon and publish under Mec4D, I was just waiting for this release first before I add next hair packs for the other parts , I was for plan to make also some scalp hair for men also for the start , as you may know I tried before but the files for the scalp hair was to big to make it as the beard so I am going to do separate styles with additional morphs , also for the eyebrows and underarm .

Cath

Tylerguy said:
    I love these products! They work perfectly and look great, and even better in the test renders I've done so far, they don't seem to drag render times down too much either!

If I had one plea it would be for an expansion set with underarm hair and eyebrows, but that's just an idea... :)

Thank you thank you!

edited December 1969

this is very dirty hairy modern style hahaha love it

Just wanted to say these were definitely well worth the wait. Awesome images everyone :)

Here's a version I made using both the body hair and the beard.

edited December 1969

sorry about that Pen , good things come to those who wait ! I am sure you will be not disappointed , as I made it as for myself
    the original plan was to do just 15 styles of the beards , but I was generous and added 15 extra as a bonus in the most popular grooming styles so you don't miss them , and you know me if i don't like what i do you will not see it released .

more stuff on the way ..

Cath

Pendraia said:
    Went straight in the trolley despite running out of bandwidth...got up this morning ready to download now that my bandwidth is back and noticed the downloads are listed as pending...: (

Can't wait to play Cath this looks awesome!

• thebertthebert Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

Any textures or color mat come out ?

unshaven03.jpg
    1006 x 670 - 661K
  • ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    the dwarf looks so funny so where are the other 6 brothers ? lol I am happy you have fun
    I don't think my old computer will handle 6 more, let alone Snow White! Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun , thanks again Cath!

Pendraia said:
    Went straight in the trolley despite running out of bandwidth...got up this morning ready to download now that my bandwidth is back and noticed the downloads are listed as pending...: (!

Try resetting your download, it worked for me.

Any textures or color mat come out ?
    Just change your diffuse color.

Coldrake

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    sorry about that Pen , good things come to those who wait ! I am sure you will be not disappointed , as I made it as for myself
    the original plan was to do just 15 styles of the beards , but I was generous and added 15 extra as a bonus in the most popular grooming styles so you don't miss them , and you know me if i don't like what i do you will not see it released .

more stuff on the way ..

Cath

Pendraia said:
    Went straight in the trolley despite running out of bandwidth...got up this morning ready to download now that my bandwidth is back and noticed the downloads are listed as pending...: (

Can't wait to play Cath this looks awesome!

Not your fault Cath...I know that it will be fixed. It's just frustrating to wait as I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I can't wait to see what you do with the hair and other stuff.

Hugs

Pen

edited December 1969

Coldrake said:

Pendraia said:
    Went straight in the trolley despite running out of bandwidth...got up this morning ready to download now that my bandwidth is back and noticed the downloads are listed as pending...: (!

Try resetting your download, it worked for me.

thank you Coldrake, that worked! Off to download...

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Okay ... I had to try this. Family thing, black hair and red beards ;-)

thankyou2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 144K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Hey Cath,

Wondering on the hairy body areas... can you do a full hairy arms, knuckles tops of hands and hairy thighs, lower legs and tops of feet with some options to make the hair lay closer and straighter, like in a more patterned way that allot of men have? The wild looks great but not for every sort of male out there in the big old world we live in. Some back hair too would be AWESOME! Hell just make a wolfman and give us options to shorten/lengthen it, wave/straighten it up a bit and turn various areas off and on and well... I would kiss your feet! :P

• MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited July 2012

RAMWolff said:
    Hey Cath,

Wondering on the hairy body areas... can you do a full hairy arms, knuckles tops of hands and hairy thighs, lower legs and tops of feet with some options to make the hair lay closer and straighter, like in a more patterned way that allot of men have? The wild looks great but not for every sort of male out there in the big old world we live in. Some back hair too would be AWESOME! Hell just make a wolfman and give us options to shorten/lengthen it, wave/straighten it up a bit and turn various areas off and on and well... I would kiss your feet! :P

Lmbo... we have gone hairy crazy! See what you've done Catherine? And you know what... I'm not gonna lie - I wouldn't mind it either. I'm happy with what I have... but... I won't say it wouldn't be fantastic to have these other needed options....

Take your time... we'll be waiting, hoping and watching...

MKeyes aka... Mech4D fan!

Post edited by MKeyes on
  • gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

If you change the beard colour by changing the diffuse colour you get an evenly coloured beard which I find quite unnatural looking. For example, how would you get a 'salt/pepper' effect?

edited December 1969

Richard for the legs and arms the hair need to be separate , I did this but did not bend correctly with genesis as each group need own separate hair area , the body hair was additional and simple , but more different style come out soon as I figured out short ago how to change the pattern without to touch the hair manually on the body , what give great opportunity for the next set in the future , I will release new one when you get bored playing with this one lol

Cath

RAMWolff said:
    Hey Cath,

edited December 1969

thank you my dear for the support !!!

Mercedesk said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Hey Cath,

Lmbo... we have gone hairy crazy! See what you've done Catherine? And you know what... I'm not gonna like - I wouldn't mind it either. I'm happy with what I have... but... I won't say it wouldn't be fantastic to have these other needed options....

Take your time... we'll be waiting, hoping and watching...

MKeyes aka... Mech4D fan!

edited December 1969

if you use uberlight the hair will looks very nice , you can also use ubersurface materials from DS4 and user translucent material it will add the additional dimension you looking for one color and translucent plus ambient occlusion will give you the best result , you can use also texture if you like , use just simple square the rots will be on the bottom , and the tip on the top , you can create the rots effect , there is not possible to create separate textures for 10.000 geometries as each hair use one and the same texture , it is not that I can't do it but technically not suggested as it will take huge space for rendering and it is already huge . I will try to figure something out in the future
    also to create extra effects you can use 2 specular and change the colors to create the illusion of mixed colors , but trust me translucent material from uber surface is the answer ...

Cath

luxgabu said:
    If you change the beard colour by changing the diffuse colour you get an evenly coloured beard which I find quite unnatural looking. For example, how would you get a 'salt/pepper' effect?
  • ZaarinZaarin Posts: 359
    edited July 2012

Don't have a render to show, but the hair looks nice on M4 in Poser too--the conversion is pretty simple if you don't mind fiddling around with things. :)

I'm disappointed there's no armpit hair, though...Will we be seeing that in a future pack? I'd also really like to see eyebrows, as the painted eyebrows look really bad next to a real beard. ;)

EDIT: Ah, just saw you are doing eyebrows and underarm hair. Great! :D

Post edited by Zaarin on
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    if you use uberlight the hair will looks very nice , you can also use ubersurface materials from DS4 and user translucent material it will add the additional dimension you looking for one color and translucent plus ambient occlusion will give you the best result , you can use also texture if you like , use just simple square the rots will be on the bottom , and the tip on the top , you can create the rots effect , there is not possible to create separate textures for 10.000 geometries as each hair use one and the same texture , it is not that I can't do it but technically not suggested as it will take huge space for rendering and it is already huge . I will try to figure something out in the future
    also to create extra effects you can use 2 specular and change the colors to create the illusion of mixed colors , but trust me translucent material from uber surface is the answer ...

Cath

luxgabu said:

Thanks for the info Cath...I was just about to post and ask what were the best settings and lighting to use. I remember you did lots of testing but it's all in the old thread with pictures missing. It might be worth reposting some of the info and pics so people can see how awesome this product is.

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the respose.

I second Pendraia's request. It would be really helpful to see some examples (images and descriptions) of the effects that can be obtained.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

ME? Get bored of playing with fur? Are you kidding me?? lmao! :P XOXO

Mec4D said:
    Richard for the legs and arms the hair need to be separate , I did this but did not bend correctly with genesis as each group need own separate hair area , the body hair was additional and simple , but more different style come out soon as I figured out short ago how to change the pattern without to touch the hair manually on the body , what give great opportunity for the next set in the future , I will release new one when you get bored playing with this one lol

Cath

RAMWolff said:
    Hey Cath,

edited December 1969

Glad to see the forums are back up! As they were down I had some time to get create a couple of images for effects with the beard.

[btw - i will not sulk that nobody noticed 'the hair' was also 'the beard', no not I, hmm....]

Okay ... he's not blue this time ...
    For some of these images I changed the colours to white so you can see the effect better.
    Seems every time I save a file in D/S4 it saves the entire catalogue so I'm willing to release the .png files "as is" if people would like them.

BTexWhonDiffuse.jpg
    600 x 600 - 134K
    BTex2onDiffuse.jpg
    507 x 470 - 59K
    BTex2onAmbient.jpg
    497 x 484 - 56K
    BTex1b.jpg
    600 x 600 - 71K
    edited December 1969

Quick render...

test_2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 318K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811
    edited December 1969

Glad to see the forums are back up! As they were down I had some time to get create a couple of images for effects with the beard.

[btw - i will not sulk that nobody noticed 'the hair' was also 'the beard', no not I, hmm....]

For some of these images I changed the colours to white so you can see the effect better.
    Seems every time I save a file in D/S4 it saves the entire catalogue so I'm willing to release the .png files "as is" if people would like them.

I admit, I'm very curious about the textures you used to get those effects.

I tried doing what I think Catherine was suggesting, adding Ubersurface2 upgrade to the beard and then setting translucency to get a sort of salt-and-pepper effect. (Well ... not "pepper", exactly. Also, if the first two characters you're trying to do hair color matching on are a blond and a redhead, that's a good way to make yourself completely mental. But I digress.)

M5 Dave texture with the arm, torso and beard. Translucency is on with the torso hair, set to 100%, but the color is nearly the same as the diffuse hair color itself, so I'm not sure what it's doing exactly. Translucency on the beard, color set to white, and cranked to 100%. Lower settings don't work for this effect, although they can get some interesting color combinations, depending on what you've got the translucency color set to. For some reason that I don't get, the translucency effect is MUCH stronger in the reflection than on Dave himself.

m5dave-translucency25torso100beardwhite-uber-13cropped.png
    800 x 736 - 2M
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

I admit, I'm very curious about the textures you used to get those effects.

I tried doing what I think Catherine was suggesting, adding Ubersurface2 upgrade to the beard and then setting translucency to get a sort of salt-and-pepper effect. (Well ... not "pepper", exactly. Also, if the first two characters you're trying to do hair color matching on are a blond and a redhead, that's a good way to make yourself completely mental. But I digress.)

M5 Dave texture with the arm, torso and beard. Translucency is on with the torso hair, set to 100%, but the color is nearly the same as the diffuse hair color itself, so I'm not sure what it's doing exactly. Translucency on the beard, color set to white, and cranked to 100%. Lower settings don't work for this effect, although they can get some interesting color combinations, depending on what you've got the translucency color set to. For some reason that I don't get, the translucency effect is MUCH stronger in the reflection than on Dave himself.

Well I'm really not a lighting expert but you appear to have a light on the side of M5's head which while it provides a lit face to contrast against the ceiling ... would also be reflecting back into the mirror as shown.

Here's the link for the texture.
    http://www.ShareCG.com/v/63329/view/6/Texture/Textures_for_Special_Effects_on_Hair

I also had fun trying a variety of shaders [esp from the Supersuit sets] ... can get some interesting varieties that way too.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited July 2012

luxgabu said:

I made a salt and pepper map and uploaded it to ShareCG, you can download it here;
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63328/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Salt-n-Pepper-map-for-Unshaven-Beard-for-Genesis
    You can see how it looks below, along with some other maps I made.

I also made a quick uv map so that you can see where the mustache, sideburns, etc are. If you want just a gray mustache, sideburns, streaks or whatever, this will make it a lot easier to create. You can download it here;
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63327/view/21/DAZ-Studio/UV-Template-for-Unshaven-Beard-for-Genesis-at-DAZ

Coldrake

Beard6_Portrait.jpg
    800 x 671 - 181K
    Beard_test_4.jpg
    800 x 671 - 242K
    Beard_test_3.jpg
    800 x 671 - 81K
    Beard_salt_and_pepper.jpg
    800 x 671 - 83K
    Post edited by Coldrake on
    edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    luxgabu said:

I made a salt and pepper map and uploaded it to ShareCG, you can download it here;
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63328/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Salt-n-Pepper-map-for-Unshaven-Beard-for-Genesis

I also made a quick uv map so that you can see where the mustache, sideburns, etc are. If you want just a gray mustache, sideburns, streaks or whatever, this will make it a lot easier to create. You can download it here;
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63327/view/21/DAZ-Studio/UV-Template-for-Unshaven-Beard-for-Genesis-at-DAZ

Coldrake

Neat! Thanks :-)

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

jeanke said:
    It had to be done :down:

Grtz Jean-Claude

Haha, that's me in the bikini =D

And yeah, I'll whine a bit - right after rouble flopped, there come all the awesome new releases, and older content sales... So I don't know right now if I'm getting the bundle this time or a bit later (I hope for a sale in August... like last year...), but anyway, great job, Cath!! And yeah, the new promos aren't as cool as your original renders were!!

• MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    luxgabu said:

Coldrake

Bullseye!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would certainly BUY a color texture package for the beards and body hair - such as what's been shown, some of you are a lot more talented in creating the exact look many of us are looking for.

So having part 1 purchased and ready to use... I would think some one would leap at the chance to create accurate colors for the beard and body hair. Especially the beards - what's been shown so far is great... but why not go the whole hog and earn some money with it?

Just suggesting, because I would quickly purchase....

edited December 1969

I have a question
    the template you made was from
    the original UV's ? or you created new UV's ?
    as it seems like the beard hair have new UV's for all the stubble and not one map for individual hair , just curious
    as that was what I was thinking to make as the original was different .

Cath

Coldrake said:
    luxgabu said:

Coldrake

• esargeesarge Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Cath,

I am glad this is finally out as I lost all the test files that I was doing for you when my computer crashed. Great job on these.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

Been playing around with the beard and noticed the beard will render thinner if you give it one level of subdivision. Here is a before and after subdivide sample. The hair is M4 Hero hair (beta) available here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/60142/gallery/11/Poser/M4-Hero-Hair-(Beta-Version). I used a skull cap with the hair. The final version is at Rendo in his Golden Age Hero for M4 package.

02_SubDivided.jpg
    800 x 800 - 184K
    01_NoSubDivide.jpg
    800 x 800 - 185K