Water Ripples

FabeFabe Posts: 212
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

The render I'm currently working on features a character standing in water so I want to add some ripples around them to make things look a bit better. Does any one know where I could find effects/brushes etc that will let me add ripples,I've taken a look at some of the Ron's water brushes but none of them seem to have ripple effects.

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Bryce does nice ones

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,843
    edited December 1969

In what? Are you wanting to add them to the water surface in the render, or by post-work? If the application you are using has good quality bumps or supports displacement you could create a bump or displacement map for the effect. In many applications you could use a shader to generate a wave pattern and apply that to bump (using the Shader Mixer in DS, for example). Or if your water plane is or can be high enough resolution you could use a magnet/DForm with a wavy strength graph to distort the geometry.

• FabeFabe Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

In what? Are you wanting to add them to the water surface in the render, or by post-work? If the application you are using has good quality bumps or supports displacement you could create a bump or displacement map for the effect. In many applications you could use a shader to generate a wave pattern and apply that to bump (using the Shader Mixer in DS, for example). Or if your water plane is or can be high enough resolution you could use a magnet/DForm with a wavy strength graph to distort the geometry.

I'm using DAZ 4 pro for the moment but I have downloaded Bryce. The water I want to add the ripples to is the water prop from the Greek bath set., I'm still pretty new and inexperienced so I don't know if I'll be able to create my own ripple effects so I'm think added them post-work might be easier for me.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have a set of "water ripples" props, which are simple obj objects which can be added to a flat surface and textured with the same shader as he bas water plane. However I can't find them at the moment, so that doesn't help much. They were made by a guy called spacbones, and I searched his gallery at ShareCG and can't see them, although he does have a set available there called "Wakes" which although designed for ships wakes, you may be able to do something with

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25282/gallery/5/3D-Model/Wakes

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I have a set of "water ripples" props, which are simple obj objects which can be added to a flat surface and textured with the same shader as he bas water plane. However I can't find them at the moment, so that doesn't help much. They were made by a guy called spacbones, and I searched his gallery at ShareCG and can't see them, although he does have a set available there called "Wakes" which although designed for ships wakes, you may be able to do something with

Chohole, is "Liquid" the Spacebones object set you were talking about? They're not specific to water, but they may work.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25522/related/3D-Model/Liquid

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. I went through his entire gallery looking for it, and still managed to miss it. :red:

THey do work well, I have used them several times.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have that set. You will need to Re-Size them to fit your scene after you import the Object file.

• flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is something I've wanted to try for a while, but where might I find these Dforms and possibly a tutorial on how to use them?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

flashback said:

This is something I've wanted to try for a while, but where might I find these Dforms and possibly a tutorial on how to use them? Yes Richard please explain Wavy Strength Graph for a defromer. The uninformed masses wish to know this step.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,843
    edited July 2012

It's pretty simple - in the DForm pane (Window>Panes(Tabs)>DForm) click Edit Spline. In the dialogue click the Add radio button and then click on the line to add control points, then click the Move radio button and drag the points up and down to make a wave.

WavySplineDform.jpg
    931 x 969 - 106K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

Fabe_ca said:
    The render I'm currently working on features a character standing in water so I want to add some ripples around them to make things look a bit better. Does any one know where I could find effects/brushes etc that will let me add ripples,I've taken a look at some of the Ron's water brushes but none of them seem to have ripple effects.

so, first of my tips:

use the waterdisk of nerds "waves on the beach" that you can get here at the daz store:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/waves-on-the-beach/

or have a look at this water 3D FX objects. with some scaling and maybe d-formers you can create really great 3D water effects.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/flinks-water-fx/93679

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,322
    edited December 1969

If you get the reality plugin for DAZ Studio you can have excellent water surfaces.

asummerintrieste_copy.jpg
    459 x 600 - 286K
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    chohole said:

Chohole, is "Liquid" the Spacebones object set you were talking about? They're not specific to water, but they may work.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25522/related/3D-Model/Liquid

These sets will definitely come in handy. I've been looking for something like these. Now all I need are some shower spray, and a decent (free) wet skin shader or mat pose for Genesis.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to save a dform preset? I'd love to be able to do that with my new wave deformer....