Carrara 8.5 vs. 8.5 Pro

nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is there a CURRENT side-by-side comparison of the Carrara 8.5 vs. 8.5 Pro features somewhere? I believe that the tech-specs page (http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-tech-specs/) is for 8.0, since I don't see any mention of auto-fit.

Comments

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Is there a CURRENT side-by-side comparison of the Carrara 8.5 vs. 8.5 Pro features somewhere? I believe that the tech-specs page (http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-tech-specs/) is for 8.0, since I don't see any mention of auto-fit.

I will ask for you

edited December 1969

for the C8.5 page

Genesis Content

Victoria 5 Starter Bundle
    Michael 5 Starter Bundle

Native AutoFit Functionality

Conversion of legacy parametric clothing to TriAx™ weight mapped figures
    Automatic Morph Projection
    Automatic Weight Map Projection
    Morph Preservation
    AutoFit does not currently work on Genesis 2

this is the normal version not pro.

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774
    edited December 1969

Thanks NeilV 1!!

This is a deal stopper -- "AutoFit does not currently work on Genesis 2". When is this going to be fixed?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...so does the 8.5 update also include the Genesis content bundles?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,354
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Assuming your talking about the M5/V5 bundles yes it is included

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

you get those with DAZ Studio you just make Carrara aware of where you installed to. (If you don't have you can just grab and only download the content files)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,354
    edited December 1969

Yes, I wasn't sure what their talking about. The bundles that come with Carrara or Genesis Starter Essentials

edited December 1969

...it was the M5/V5 ones I was referring to. Makes this a very good deal (now I just have to scrape up the zloty's by next week)

edited December 1969

if this helps this is what 8,5 pro contains

contains.jpg
    672 x 705 - 283K
  • SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:

Ok, so the only things I don't have already are the Carrara Native Content and of course the actual program.

What's the benefit for me to go for the Pro over the standard version?

NEW in PRO - 64-bit support for MAC and WIN OS
    NEW in Pro - Bullet Physics Library
    NEW in Pro - Network Render Optimizations
    NEW in Pro - Negative Lights and Photometrics
    NEW in Pro - Editing of Posed Meshes

Does this mean I need the pro version to get 64bit support that can utilize all of the memory on my Win8 system?

If so is there thought to making a cheaper version of pro available without all of the Genesis/Genesis2Female stuff I already own?

I find it hard to justify double the cost just for 64 bit support and I can't see the point of buying the 32bit version of an app if there's a 64bit version available. I can see the physics, network rendering, advanced lighting tools being part of a pro suite but not 64bit support.

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774
    edited December 1969

I see that the Carrara Tech Specs page has been updated. Food for thought, especially with 64-bit and 3D Paint in Pro...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Sisca said:

Does this mean I need the pro version to get 64bit support that can utilize all of the memory on my Win8 system?

If so is there thought to making a cheaper version of pro available without all of the Genesis/Genesis2Female stuff I already own?

First: yes, 64bit only pro
    second: no, unfortunately not

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Thanks NeilV 1!!

This is a deal stopper -- "AutoFit does not currently work on Genesis 2". When is this going to be fixed?

Autofit does not currently work between Genesis and Genesis 2 if you have Michael Lane's Victoria 4 Clone, aside from shoes, Autofit does work from Victoria 4 to Genesis 2 Female. It is not at the top of the priority list to get fixed, but the Known issues list is the Priority list for fixes that are being worked on.
    edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    NeilV 1 said:

Ok, so the only things I don't have already are the Carrara Native Content and of course the actual program.

What's the benefit for me to go for the Pro over the standard version?

NEW in PRO - 64-bit support for MAC and WIN OS
    NEW in Pro - Bullet Physics Library
    NEW in Pro - Network Render Optimizations
    NEW in Pro - Negative Lights and Photometrics
    NEW in Pro - Editing of Posed Meshes

I find it hard to justify double the cost just for 64 bit support and I can't see the point of buying the 32bit version of an app if there's a 64bit version available. I can see the physics, network rendering, advanced lighting tools being part of a pro suite but not 64bit support.64 bit, 3D Paint and Multi-pass rendering are the three, that I, personally, think are the most important differences.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    I find it hard to justify double the cost just for 64 bit support and I can't see the point of buying the 32bit version of an app if there's a 64bit version available. I can see the physics, network rendering, advanced lighting tools being part of a pro suite but not 64bit support.

Agreed. Double the price just to get a program that isn't hopelessly outdated in its ability to use modern hardware?
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I am afraid Daz3d is following the same guidelines as SmithMicro - 64bit support only in PoserPRO ...

edited December 1969

Sisca said:

Agreed. Double the price just to get a program that isn't hopelessly outdated in its ability to use modern hardware?If that was the only difference you would definitely have a point, but it isn't.
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I am afraid Daz3d is following the same guidelines as SmithMicro - 64bit support only in PoserPRO ...

And hence why I won't be getting the latest version of Poser either.

Like I said I understand all the added features being in the pro version but I can't see buying a 32bit app when there is a 64bit version available, especially something as memory intensive as a 3d app.

I'm not a current Carrara user so I'm by no means a pro but I'd be interested to learn the program but not at almost $200 just to be able to use the hardware on my system. Oh well, plenty of other options out there and not enough hours in the day as it is :)

edited December 1969

Sisca said:

Agreed. Double the price just to get a program that isn't hopelessly outdated in its ability to use modern hardware?
    If that was the only difference you would definitely have a point, but it isn't.

As I said I agree that the pro tools are worth the extra. What I don't understand is why there can't be a 64bit version that doesn't have those pro tools.

In other words why doesn't the standard version come in either 32 or 64bit?

edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    Sisca said:

If that was the only difference you would definitely have a point, but it isn't.

As I said I agree that the pro tools are worth the extra. What I don't understand is why there can't be a 64bit version that doesn't have those pro tools.

In other words why doesn't the standard version come in either 32 or 64bit?In the future it may. Personally, I would prefer to drop the 32 bit version altogether, because it would make my job significantly easier. :) But that is just me being selfish. :)

edited December 1969

...SIsca has a very valid point. For years I kept struggling with the 32 bit memory limit. As Daz Studio became more "robust" it required more in processing and memory resources. Each new version made it more and more difficult to do detailed or complex scenes until with 4.6, I was only able to use one (occasionally 2) characters with a simple background (like Blondie9999's Backdrops Made Easy) and a basic light setup (not UE) with mapped instead of raytraced shadows.

The medium has effectively outgrown the 32 bit platform just like older graphic software outgrew 16 bit.

The scenes like the ones below which I had no trouble rendering in Daz 1.8 (save for the time involved) would have crashed in 4.6 on my old machine.

the_welcoming_committee.jpg
    872 x 644 - 422K
    a_captive_audience_I.jpg
    889 x 649 - 481K