Can't install V4

TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've just installed Poser 8 on a XP machine, and then wanted to install V4, but I'm getting this error message (doesn't matter if I choose DAZ or Poser install). Any idea why that is?

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited December 1969

I have DIM installed for testing it, but not DS (DS has never been installed on the machine). Can this be the reason?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Don't install content in to the Program Files folders, these have been protected folders since Windows Vista.

edited August 2013

jestmart said:
    Don't install content in to the Program Files folders, these have been protected folders since Windows Vista.

I know, but this is XP.

Besides, I don't even get to the where you can choose the path, before it errors. It happens right after where you choose between DAZ and Poser.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Check the folder it's looking for. Does it even exist?

jestmart said:

XP came before Vista and didn't have that limitation.
    edited August 2013

Vaskania said:
    Check the folder it's looking for. Does it even exist?

No, but since DS isn't installed, I can't see why it should. It looks like it expects DS is installed before it will install V4 (M4 won't install either, but other installers seem to work fine). Do you actually have to have DS installed before V4/M4 will install?

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure, but just for the hell of it, here's what it shows in my dzinstall.ini that's in Common Files.

[ApplicationPath]
    dzHexagon2InstallDir=E:\Program Files\Hexagon
    dzStudio4InstallDir-64=E:\Program Files\Daz Studio 4

[InstalledApplications]
    dzHexagonInstalls=dzHexagon2InstallDir
    dzStudioInstalls=dzStudio4InstallDir-64

[InstalledApplicationKeys]
    dzHexagon2AppData=C:\Users\V\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Hexagon2
    dzStudio4AppData=C:\Users\V\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4
    dzStudio4MappedContent=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\DAZ\Studio4
    dzStudio4RunOnce=C:\Users\V\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\RunOnce

[ContentPath]
    dzStudio4DefaultContent=F:/Daz Studio/!!My Library
    dzStudioContentLastDir=e:\documents\downloads\new freebies

dzStudioContentIconGroup=DAZ Productions\Installed DS Content

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Download and install with DIM to avoid all that old crap from the exe installers. In DIM click the cog icon, select the Installation tab to add the install path you want and let DIM install. You will have to run the initialization .bat manually.

edited August 2013

Well I've just installed DS now, and now it lets me install V4.

I still believe it's an error, as many Poser users AFAIK don't have DS installed. Just wonder what causes it.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

That I have no clue. I started with Poser after DS so I've always had DS on my machine.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The problem is that the installer is looking for that .ini file to find out where you installed content last time in order to fill in the field -- some of the installers weren't set up to use a default or empty path if the .ini file doesn't exist. It's not that it needs DAZ Studio to be installed, but rather it needs something installed which knows to create the .ini if it doesn't exist.

And yes, DIM avoids all those finicky installer problems.

edited December 1969

Ah, OK. V4 was the first thing I tried to install in that runtime, so that makes sense. Thanks!