The tools that Daz studio lacks and desperately needs

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz is missing the following tools that it so desperately needs, also other programs that provide examples of what Daz should be able to do:

Fast Cloth Simulation -:- Marvelous Designer
Physics Simulations -:- Blender, iClone
Fluid Simulations -:- Blender
Animation Tools -:- iClone
--- Key frame drag movement
--- Motion blends and armature bone influence selection
Game engine -:- Blender, Unity, iClone

Improvements:
Selective bone skeleton import (only import part of pose, such as arms without legs).
Easy export of morphs created for legacy non weightmapped models such as V4.
Scene load times have become ridiculous in the most recent studio release, a scene that used to take 3 minutes to load pre 4.5 now takes 10 minutes to load.

Comments

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

why not throw in also a serious UV editor/wrapper and 3d painting a la Cinema4d?

Sure it'd be cool to have all those features in a free application, but i have many doubts these dreams will ever come true.

(PS: sarcasm tag always enabled...) ;)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

stwbcsuv said:
    Selective bone skeleton import (only import part of pose, such as arms without legs).

If this is a native pose preset, try holding down the ctrl(Win)/cmd(Mac) key while opening it.

Easy would be pushing it, but the ExP Exporter does do this.

Scene load times have become ridiculous in the most recent studio release, a scene that used to take 3 minutes to load pre 4.5 now takes 10 minutes to load.

Is the scene using TriAx or Legacy content?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

stwbcsuv said:
    Daz is missing the following tools that it so desperately needs, also other programs that provide examples of what Daz should be able to do:

Improvements:

get Carrara 8.5 on Monday (26) - just what you need !

• edited August 2013

ExP Exporter is difficult/impossible to get working. I have tried for hours to get morphs to export and despite generating .pz2 files and the inject files they still don't seem to inject the new morphs I created into fresh models. The tutorials on the use of ExP Exporter don't go to completion and are all from Daz 3.

Is the scene using TriAx or Legacy content?

Most of my scenes have at least one V4 in and occasionally a Genesis, but regardless they take a much longer time to load since 4.5+ than they used to.

Edited to fix quotes

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

stwbcsuv said:

Improvements:

The only one on that list that I have the slightest interest in would be the cloth simulation and really for that I'd much rather have something like Posers cloth room.

I don't want Daz to become an animation tool, there are plenty of animation tools out there if that's what I want to do.

I don't want to use it as a game engine or even as an input to a game engine, again plenty of tools out there to do that and most are better suited to the job.

I don't need physics or fluid simulation since, again, I don't want to animate anything. I can see both being useful even for static renders but the current system has to tools to do the job it just takes a bit more work.

Expecting a free program to have all of the features from both a $500 program (Marvelous Designer) and a $200 program (iClone) is really kind of silly. If those features were so easy to do then why are the companies that do them charging so much?

I wouldn't mind seeing better import/export controls though I have to admit that what's there works for what I do. I can see that it might not for people needing to get the figures they create in Daz out into a more professional animation tool but I don't know that so I'm not going to complain.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

the reason Blender has so many of these features is because it's open source and the development community is staggeringly larger than that of Daz3d. Blender is not a business model of anything other than a community of developers who code for free free and you can donate if you like, Daz3d is not able to operate under the same circumstances, they're a small company.
    I agree with the poster above, I don't want to see Studio become an animation centric app, and I can only imagine the legal ramifications if a game engine was developed since a game developers license come with a pretty stiff price tag even if you're a hobbyist and that just lets you use the content you already purchase, but legally it's restricted to content only from Daz3d.
    So sure it would be nice to have them, but DS needs a litany of bugs straightened out before it ventures into more and more functionality that potentially hurts further development to it's core features.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

stwbcsuv said:

ExP Exporter is difficult/impossible to get working. I have tried for hours to get morphs to export and despite generating .pz2 files and the inject files they still don't seem to inject the new morphs I created into fresh models. The tutorials on the use of ExP Exporter don't go to completion and are all from Daz 3.

Did you run the DzCreateExPFiles-V4.bat file after creating the files, and storing them along with the reset of the ExP files (unlike morphs for Genesis they can't be split across multiple content directories).

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I agree with those that 'would not' like DS to go in this direction. There are plenty of other tools that do this, Blender for one. What I would like to see DS do is to do better management of assets, import/export so that it could be used along with other tools better. It doesn't 'fit' into any pipelines very well at the moment and that's where I believe it could find it's real market going forward.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    I agree with those that 'would not' like DS to go in this direction. There are plenty of other tools that do this, Blender for one. What I would like to see DS do is to do better management of assets, import/export so that it could be used along with other tools better. It doesn't 'fit' into any pipelines very well at the moment and that's where I believe it could find it's real market going forward.

Yes, please to all of these!

I'd especially like the ability to have it give me a list of all of the content that doesn't have metadata associated with it so I can add it in for all of the stuff I get elsewhere. That and better content searching using that metadata or tags would make my life much easier.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited December 1969

I do animation and use Carrara and iClone so as far as I am concerned Daz studio is fine however it is.
    The main thing I DO want is better content support for the former (a Daz product also, too much stuff in store supports Poser but not Carrara natively) and better export options from studio for the latter.
    FBX at the moment in DS4 & DS4.6 does not export parented items in local space (my work around for legacy stuff is use DS3 but no good for duf only content)
    it is the export from studio that is borked as it opens in FBX viewer, Max(when I had the trial) and other programs besides iClone 3dxchange with prop hairs, assesories etc at 0,0,0 co-ordinates and sets like Jack Tomalins dream house which I did this week entirely via DS3A all parts at 0,0,0
    obj exports in situ but is not always a desired format esp from studio where it is one mesh (though I do believe a new plugin fixex this)
    I bought FBX exporter so can use it in DS3A unlike the free included DS4 one but for some reason Decimator does not have a DS3 download for me as I bought that after DS4 was released so I cannot do all my highpoly legacy stuff in DS3 or I would, a lot uses parenting.
    I can of course and do just export piece by piece and reparent.
    I bring this up because Daz are primarily content providers and people who use other apps buy content and need to export it to use it.
    Studio is the means for doing this for most.
    (carrara unfortunately does not add the texture maps in FBX or I would just use that instead)

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

The reason folks want more function ability in DAZ STUDIO itself is that they have a HUGE investment in DAZ content and its a pain or impossible to get them moved over to other platforms to use etc. ... with the exception of Poser and Carrara which can use most DAZ content with various caveats and limitations.

I would most like to see the Poser type cloth room functions in DAZ. Also my pet peave is why can't there be an option for a usable ground plane preloaded in DAZ Studio when you open a scene..... and of course better documentation.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:

I would most like to see the Poser type cloth room functions in DAZ. Also my pet peave is why can't there be an option for a usable ground plane preloaded in DAZ Studio when you open a scene..... and of course better documentation.

Agree with you there. That would make DS complete for me.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    The reason folks want more function ability in DAZ STUDIO itself is that they have a HUGE investment in DAZ content and its a pain or impossible to get them moved over to other platforms to use etc. ... with the exception of Poser and Carrara which can use most DAZ content with various caveats and limitations.

Agreed on the cloth simulation. (See the link in my sig line.) I'd better not say anything about documentation.

However, if you want a ground plane in a default scene, you can do that in DS4. You can set whatever you want as a default scene to load on launch. You could even make it a plane with shadow capture that doesn't render in the scene, if you want.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Re: ground plane: This is something that absolutely gobsmacked me when I first used DAZ Studio. I nearly walked away in those first days for this and a few other reasons, although I'm glad that I didn't. (My wallet disagrees slightly... ;) )

You don't have a plane primitive.

You have a rectangle of polys primitive, but no ACTUAL plane. The object ends... Realizing this put the rest of the 3D engine into perspective.

-- Morgan