Heroes, Heroines and 3D Graphics - July Freebie Contest

DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
edited August 2012 in Freebies

Welcome everybody to the July Freebie Challenge - Heroes, Heroines and 3D Graphics

While trolling through the DAZ forum, I have learned that there are many artists that use DAZ, Poser, Blender, Vue, etc. for creating comic graphics and telling stories. In the freebie world there are shaders, characters, clothing, and objects made specifically for creating your favorite comic hero, or heroine, or cartoon character.

This month I would like you all to render a "comic" page or scene. It must contain an action or set of actions. This can be as simple as holding a gun to as complex as blowing up a building. You will be required to use toon or artistic shaders (at least 80% of the scene) or use the render engine option for cartoons. Flattening or outlining in postwork is expressly forbidden.

Since I am not really familiar with comics I have asked Eustace Scrubb to chime in and bail me out with tough questions and how-tos. He also has been most kind in helping me with developing the outline of how this month's contest will be conducted.

Throughout the first part of the month I will be creating scenes using the same requirements that are stipulated in this post to give you ideas and sources that I have found or that Eustace has pointed out.

The Rules:
1. Use a minimum of 8 freebies. One of these must be from Most Digital Creations. Free render engines are not a part of the required number of freebies.
2. Only use a maximum of 5 purchased items for the whole project.
3. Base figures (V4, K4, M4 and the Basic Male, Female, and Child morphs for Genesis) don’t count as a purchased item.
4. Postwork on scenes is limited to insertion of conversation balloons, signatures and borders. If you create a page with multiple scenes then postwork to compile the page layout is allowed. Use of Comic Life for this type of work is allowed for this month. You get a free trail usage of 30 days.
5. For setting up your scene you must use Bryce, Hexagon, Blender, Poser or DAZ. You can use any free render engine such as LUX to render the scene or the default engines of Bryce, Hexagon, Blender, Poser or DAZ. Other free renderers include, but are not limited to, Anim8or (the latest beta has a raytrace engine), POVRay, 3Delight standalone, or anything else the contestant can achieve the requisite comic-novel effect in without spending money on it. Free software used (bridges or renderers) do not count toward the requisite eight freebies.
6. Morphs will count toward a purchased item. Using a bridging tool, such as Reality to port the DAZ scene to Lux, counts towards a purchased item.
7. For an item to be considered free it must be offered as a freebie for the whole month of July. DAZ weekly freebies for the month can also be credited.
8. All links to freebies must work, and all freebies must be clearly seen to be accepted.
9. Enter as many times as you want.
10. This is a "G/PG" rated contest so DAZ TOU is strictly enforced. Dress your characters appropriately and no gruesomeness, i.e. spilling of guts, chopping off heads and such. Remember there are children that actively participate in the contest.
11. Because of the nature of the contest please, please be careful with copyright. If your render looks too much like Superman (or any other commercially recognized character), your render will be disqualified.
12. State the title of the piece, what software you used for setup, bridging/exporting (if any) and rendering (including shaders), and identify your 8 or more qualifying freebies with links to the freebies.

We will start on 1ST July - 00.01 DAZ time, and end 31 July 23.59

I am also looking for one more judge.
Judges:
Lord Ganthor
Robkelk
DollyGirl
???????

For my judges and contestants here are additional guidelines:

How did the piece convince me that it's from a Graphic Novel or a Comic Book,
Do I see both interplay between the elements and environment,
Is there trans-continuity: who are these people and what is this place? Where did they come from and where are they going from here?

These three elements can be effectively conveyed in a single image or two, even without narrative or dialogue, but they absolutely must be intentional. There doesn't have to be much visible background or environment at all, or not in every frame. It just has to belong if it is there. Example, yet another sky-high fistfight could as easily occur over the city as over open water or farmland, but someone falling is falling from something and to someplace, even if she's still above the clouds. If something is indoors, there is a reason for it to be indoors, and in the room or corridor it is in. If it is outdoors, it is in the country or in the city, at ground level or at height (also applies, to a lesser degree, to views from windows if any) for a reason. As to the "trans-continuity", the questions don't need to be answered by the picture, they merely need to be asked, implied. The answers to the questions need only be implied, one only needs to know that there is one. Also, the "Picture is worth a thousand words" cliché is at full validity here. The less dialogue and/or narration needed to convey the scene(s), the better.

Sponsors:
plasq
Music2u4u
joequick
The AntFarm
3D Universe
Eustace Scrubb
LJ Studios

Prizes: More to be anounced later

Everyone who enters:
LJ Studios Blinn Shaders for DAZ Studio. This file is password protected. I will PM you the password at the time your entry is accepted.

First Place:
Comic Life 2 and Comic Life for iPad
Any product from The AntFarm DAZ store
3dUniverse Toon Cow
Beta version of Eustace Scrubb's Mephistopolis Shaders for DS4

Second Place:
Comic Life 2 desktop license

Thrid Place:
Comic Life 2 desktop license

Honorable Mentions:

$5.00 DAZ Store Credit given by LJ Studios

Let the stories begin!
Edited 7/11/2012 to add Comic Life link in rules and state that there is a 30 day free trial available.
Edited 7/13/2012 to add Judges to list before I forget who they are.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited June 2012

So to kick off this event I have some things for you to consider the first one is:
    Not An Entry (NAE) An example of taking a scene and using the toon render option in DAZ Studio 3 Advanced. This entry also points you to my first freebie, mat poses for Adam's Hmmm for V4+M4 prop. See item 18.

Today, is a Good Day - Dejah Thoris wiping out a band of Green Men
    1. *Orc Blood
    2. *Orc
    3. *Fennjas Rocks
    4. *PD-X14
    5. *Isis System
    6. *[url=Free http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=56757]V4 Pearls
    7. *MW Art Lights
    8. *Character A_Cara
    9. *eye texture Nanami
    10. *Pose Ravens dead poses
    11. Rocky 14th down
    12. Cliff Face 19th down
    13. Porsimo Morphing Ground 1 2nd one down
    14. *Chrome Shaders
    15. Cedar tree
    16. *skydome
    17. Hmmm for V4+M4 by Most Digital Creations. 8th down
    18. More Hmmm for V4+M4 by LJ Studios
    * means a registered site

Rendered in DAZ Studio 3.1A. Post work in Paint Shop Pro for signature and size.

Uncounted Victoria 4 and V4 Morphs++

Used but no longer available:
    Aery Soul Hanyma Scenery
    Pose Aery Soul
    Aery Soul Big Rock
    Staligmites from Dragon's Lair
    Troll Axe
    Spear from KhyaThua
    David's Fantasy props TriBlade
    Questor Knives
    Questor Swords
    Creeper Drool
    Sooth Slayer
    Autumn Shrubs

Paid item LIE Gore-dom http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=10543

Render01.jpg
    600 x 480 - 387K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
    edited December 1969

A note of apology to our fellow Poser users and a request. Due to my getting Poser only a month ago I was not able to really find some cool effects for comic scenes that Poser would use. Because of this all of the examples are for DAZ Studio. I do apologize to my fellow Poser users for this. My request is that if you know of an equivalent process for Poser of my DAZ example you jump right in and tell us about it. Like I said I have had Poser for only a month and there are lots of things to learn from this tool so I am really really interested in finding out about the different options available to Poser users. For you Brycer's, all I can say is that I am even less adept at using this software than I am Poser. I just learned about the Library. So that should tell you how far I got in creating a scene in Bryce. Thanks guys in advanced.

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

looks like it's going to be a fun month Dollygirl,

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    looks like it's going to be a fun month Dollygirl,

I hope you do have a fun time. I have a few things up my sleeve.
  • Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This will be fun but I AM going to miss the sketch engine in Poser :down:

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OOh great theme DollyGirl!

edited December 1969

Well maybe there will be something else that will replace the sketch option. There is more to come, Oom.

Thanks Krissy. I was hoping people would like the challenge.

edited July 2012

Dollygirl said:
    Well maybe there will be something else that will replace the sketch option. There is more to come, Oom.

I really like it... I am going to do some Thorgal inspired renders .. Yayy!!!..
    Is it ok, to use only toon outline option in poser instead of shader?? And is poser 9 OK ??
    Here is a quicky with it ;)

Edited to replace an image with a smaller version (and without the ground showing)

toon1.jpg
    467 x 628 - 30K
    Post edited by Gloomy007 on
  • mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,601
    edited December 1969

Not An Entry (NAE)

for the braves, the Indiana Jones of free rendering

( meaning people with lots of hours to spend on this )

there's a free renderer for Blender named "Freestyle"

which was used to get this toony'esque render

The scene (Aiko3) was set up in Daz Studio 3

and transfered to Blender using mcjTeleBlender

i'll probably use it for my entry :)

toontest.jpg
    800 x 800 - 60K
  • Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

A fast start in B&W and I was quickly reminded how hard it is to find hair that look good with toon shaders.
    The hardest part was deciding on what text line to use ;-)

Title: 'Scuse Me

Robot: Robby The Robot *2011 Update* by MatrixWorkz. Registration required
    Woman
    Trousers: Genesis Jeans by Wilmap. Registration required
    Shoes: Genesis Shoes by Wilmap. Registration required
    Shirt: Sickle Snug Tank Genesis by SickleYield. Registration required
    Hair: Sandra's Hair by Gerald Day. Go to ””Free Downloads”, press CTRL+F, enter ”sandra” in search feild.
    Bag: paperBag by ajfukuda. Registration required

Girl:
    Dress: Genesis Frilled Dress by Wilmap. Registration required
    Hair: dIGITALISTA's 40th Style Hair by digitalista. Registration required

Buildings: Skyline by AdamThwaites. Item required for this Challenge
    Text bubble: Free Hmmm for V4+M4 by AdamThwaites. 8 down. Item required for this Challenge
    Bubble texture: Mat files for Adam's Hmmm prop by Dolly Girl.

No count:
    Text added with the script: mcjLabelizer by mCasual .
    that use: ImageMagic by ImageMagick Studio .
    Genesis with Basic Female, and Child morphs

Shaders based on DS4 Shader Mixer Toon preset but severely modified.
    Scene built and rendered in DS4.0 pro.
    Postwork: None, just to see if I could.

Cheers! Oom

Edit:
    Some of the clothing was not that well visible so I have tweaked the shaders a bit and done a new rendered, as usual.

ScuseMe2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 210K
    Post edited by Oom Fooyat on
  • jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

A fast start in B&W and I was quickly reminded how hard it is to find hair that look good with toon shaders.

Woman
    Hair: Sandra's Hair by Gerald Day. Go to ””Free Downloads”, press CTRL+F, enter ”sandra” in search feild.

Girl:

Text bubble: Free Hmmm for V4+M4 by AdamThwaites. 8 down. Item required for this Challenge

No count:

Cheers! Oom

nice Oom, love Robbie the robot

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    You will be required to use toon or artistic shaders (at least 80% of the scene) or use the render engine option for cartoons.

While technically I'm looking forward to this contest, the above worries me somewhat. Might default to requiring one paid item for me.

edited December 1969

I found the option in poser!

In material room there is the "Set up Toon Render" option, which gives toon shader, only has to be modified a bit

Here are two renders, one without outline and one with outline, as you can see outline do not work good with transmapped objects

toon_with_line.jpg
    531 x 632 - 32K
    toon_no_line.jpg
    531 x 632 - 31K
    edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    Dollygirl said:

I really like it... I am going to do some Thorgal inspired renders .. Yayy!!!..
    Is it ok, to use only toon outline option in poser instead of shader?? And is poser 9 OK ??
    Here is a quicky with it ;)

Edited to replace an image with a smaller version (and without the ground showing)

Yes Krissy you can use the toon option in Poser and the render will qualify and yes Poser 9 is acceptable.

edited December 1969

Casual said:

Not An Entry (NAE)

for the braves, the Indiana Jones of free rendering

( meaning people with lots of hours to spend on this )

there's a free renderer for Blender named "Freestyle"

which was used to get this toony'esque render

The scene (Aiko3) was set up in Daz Studio 3

and transfered to Blender using mcjTeleBlender

i'll probably use it for my entry :)

Thank you Causal for the tip. You have some awesome scripts and I see below that Oom has used another one of them.

edited December 1969

Woman

Girl:

No count:

Cheers! Oom

Edit:
    Some of the clothing was not that well visible so I have tweaked the shaders a bit and done a new rendered, as usual.

A very nice beginning for the contest Oom. Your render qualifiies. Check you PMs for the link and password to my shaders. So what do you think is going to happend next? Robbie has an adventure or Mom is really Superwoman making a day with her daughter. What is in the bag, huh?
    Lonnie

edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    Dollygirl said:
    You will be required to use toon or artistic shaders (at least 80% of the scene) or use the render engine option for cartoons.

While technically I'm looking forward to this contest, the above worries me somewhat. Might default to requiring one paid item for me.

ZamuelNow, That is fine if you want to use paid shaders. You are allowed 5 paid products and I did not stipulate that you had to use free shaders to do your render. So go for it. I would like to see some of the paid for toon shaders in action. You can mix and match free with paid. Later today I will be providing a demo on some free shaders so before you buy you may want to wait and see if these will be of any use to you.
    Lonnie

edited December 1969

Krissy said:

In material room there is the "Set up Toon Render" option, which gives toon shader, only has to be modified a bit

Here are two renders, one without outline and one with outline, as you can see outline do not work good with transmapped objects

Thanks Krissy for stepping in and giving a demo with Poser! I am a newb with this program any helpful tips and tricks are most appriciated.
    Lonnie

edited December 1969

Not An Entry (NAE) An example of using some of the free comic shaders available to our community. This example was done in DAZ Studio 3 Advanced

Title: An Old Acquaintance Drops By

Batman Apollo Maximus by Anton Kisiel.
    Batman:Boots Epic Clothing Library Vol 02 by Anton Kisiel. *
    Batman:Cape Apollo Maximus Clothing Pack 3 - Cape by pdxjims. *
    Batman:Suit Apollo SkinSuit by pdxjims.
    Batman:Suit Eared Cowl for Apollo by joequick. *
    Batman:Suit Conforming Bat for Apollo by joequick. *

BatBoy:Pose 100 Super Hero Poses for the Mil3 Figures by Elfwine. *

Batcar Batman Begins Tumbler by Bman666. *

Conversation Balloons Text Balloons Props by MeshWorks. *
    Joker Card ep-card by aemi1970. *

Spotlight Artist:
    City City by Most Digital Creations. *
    Paid for:
    Batboy Millennium Kids - Young Teens by DAZ 3D. *
    Batboy:Suit DAZ Vault Sidekicks for Luke and Laura by Valandar. *

Focus of the Day:

Shaders
    Shaders DAZ Studio 3 Default Shader Presets by Digitani. *
    Shaders D|S Noir shaders, Noir Expansion #3 by EustaceScrubb. *
    Shaders D|S Noir shaders, Noir Expansion #1 by EustaceScrubb. *
    Shaders D|S Noir shaders, Noir Expansion #2 by EustaceScrubb. *

Ok to use these shaders you will have to install the DAZ Studio 3 Default Shader Presets that digitani has updated for us. He has provided a readme file that explains where the files need to go. Placement of the scripts is the same location under DAZStudio4 as for DAZStudio3 if you are using DAZ Studio 4.

More conversation balloon options (Or the I don't have to do any postwork, Yay!!!)
    As Oom has pointed out, Casual has a nifty tool that will put words on surfaces in DAZ. The text you see in the image was created using his script. It is real easy to install. What I did find was that the rounded edged conversation balloons would not take the image. I am not a modeler so I have no clue why they are being mulish. So if you want to play, here is the link to this really cool tool.

mcjLabelizer DS 1234 by mcasual.

Render02.jpg
    600 x 769 - 344K
  • agsears_f6a68cb825agsears_f6a68cb825 Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

I have a question regarding the required number of freebies and paids.

If using the template, are the five paids "per scene" or "per page"? Considering that there are multiple frames, each a separate scene, I believe that some clarification is necessary. Also, with the template, how does one indicate specific frames as NAE versus entry?

Alexa ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

And of course we all know that this particular challenge is designed specifically to stop certain Brycers that we may or not know. from taking part, :roll: :coolmad: ;-) hmm I shall have to go awy and have a word with my fav expert in the field of the DTE, to see iif he can suggest an easy and reliable way for this sort of thing to be reproduced in Bryce. :coolsmirk:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I have a question regarding the required number of freebies and paids.

If using the template, are the five paids "per scene" or "per page"? Considering that there are multiple frames, each a separate scene, I believe that some clarification is necessary. Also, with the template, how does one indicate specific frames as NAE versus entry?

Alexa ;)

Good questions Alexa, The intent of using a page is to allow the contestant a little more freedom to tell their story. With that in mind your "page" is either in the contest or not. There are no NAE portions of the page. As the ground work then the requirements for the page are the same as for a one scene render. So it is a little more restrictive for a page than a scene for paid for elements (total of 5) but not as restrictive on the number of freebies (total of 8) and gives you a little more freedom to develop the story you want to tell. I will upload an example entry of a page a little later today. So I hope I answered your question.
    Lonnie

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And of course we all know that this particular challenge is designed specifically to stop certain Brycers that we may or not know. from taking part, :roll: :coolmad: ;-) hmm I shall have to go awy and have a word with my fav expert in the field of the DTE, to see iif he can suggest an easy and reliable way for this sort of thing to be reproduced in Bryce. :coolsmirk:

So sorry Cho :down: :-S. But I know that certain Brycers are very resourceful and they will come up with something. It would be really cool if you could develop a process for generating toon in Bryce. I would be really interested in what you and LG can come up with. You do realize that by using Comic Life your scenes will turn into a toon scene so even if you could not get Bryce to generate the scene in toon style you have the option of using Comic Life to produce the graphic interpretation. You would just have to create materials inside Bryce to meet the requirement of 80% shader use. That should be easy since most simple toon shaders start with solid colors and Comic Life would put the edges on for you. See there you are! Solution achieved and you and LG can enter. I want to see "Da' Man" in toon style form!

Thanks for "stickying" the thread for me Cho.;-)

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Krissy said:

Thanks Krissy for stepping in and giving a demo with Poser! I am a newb with this program any helpful tips and tricks are most appriciated.
    Lonnie

No Problem ;)

Also very important with the render ( at least it looks like it to me) Is not to have anything plugged into Alternative Diffuse, while applaying the shader. And after that it is nice to use some shade of grey as the colour ;)

toon_shader_MR.jpg
    762 x 720 - 124K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

GASP!! They wouldn't do that...would they? I do recall seeing a tutorial (years back) about how to create certain settings to simulate flat shaded rendering in Bryce to achieve such an effect, but the results were far from satisfying. Truth to tell, I've never been really impressed with any shaders designed to simulate comics. Being a long time comics aficionado, collector, historian (and sometimes pen and paper artist), none of them ever looked quite right to me. Still, I'll be interested to try out any sort of ideas or different techniques that might be out there floating around. It's a great idea for a challenge (and one that's long been close to my heart) but given the technical limitations (and the less than satisfactory results, to me, anyway) I may sit this month out.

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Krissy said:

Lonnie

No Problem ;)

Also very important with the render ( at least it looks like it to me) Is not to have anything plugged into Alternative Diffuse, while applaying the shader. And after that it is nice to use some shade of grey as the colour ;)

This is great Krissy! I love it when we share solutions. Now we need to get them Brycer's to come play!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

GASP!! They wouldn't do that...would they? I do recall seeing a tutorial (years back) about how to create certain settings to simulate flat shaded rendering in Bryce to achieve such an effect, but the results were far from satisfying. Truth to tell, I've never been really impressed with any shaders designed to simulate comics. Being a long time comics aficionado, collector, historian (and sometimes pen and paper artist), none of them ever looked quite right to me. Still, I'll be interested to try out any sort of ideas or different techniques that might be out there floating around. It's a great idea for a challenge (and one that's long been close to my heart) but given the technical limitations (and the less than satisfactory results, to me, anyway) I may sit this month out.

I have sent out a plea for help. will keep you posted.

edited December 1969

Ohh so sorry LG! :-S But maybe you will be "Da Man". The creator of the best Bryce Materials for Toon shading in the world! You are pretty handy. I was all set to see your pretty little SuperGirl show up too.

But you know, now that we know you are a comic buff and tried your hand at pen and pencil I want to see!
    Lonnie

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Krissy said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Krissy said:

Lonnie

No Problem ;)

This is great Krissy! I love it when we share solutions. Now we need to get them Brycer's to come play!

We will try to figure out.
    And you're welcome ;) I hope it will let people to experiment, and not get scared of entering the challenge ;)

edited December 1969

Not An Entry (NAE) An example of creating a comic page using the product Comic Life, one of our sponsors for this month. You can download a fully functional version of the software for a trial period of 30 days. The four renders were done in DAZ Studio 3 Advanced.
    Title: A Day With Dad

Freebies:
    BatBoy:Pose 100 Super Hero Poses for the Mil3 Figures by Elfwine. *

Batman Apollo Maximus by Anton Kisiel.
    Batman:Boots Epic Clothing Library Vol 02 by Anton Kisiel.
    Batman:Cape Apollo Maximus Clothing Pack 3 - Cape by pdxjims. *
    Batman:Suit Apollo SkinSuit by pdxjims. *
    Batman:Suit Eared Cowl for Apollo by joequick. *
    Batman:Suit Conforming Bat for Apollo by joequick. *

Joker M3 Troubled Clown Morph and Texture by joequick. *
    Joker:Card ep-card by aemi1970. *
    Joker:Clothing M3 Enbi - Evening Suit by Hisayan.
    Joker:Hair Wave Hair by Koz. * Select downloads go to page 2
    Joker:Hair JL Koz Wave Hair by jorgeluso. *
    Joker:Pose Free Animated Pose – M3 Maniacal Laughter by Posermocap. 8th down

Batcar Batman Begins Tumbler by Bman666. *

Ground Morphing Ground V. 2 by Porsimo.
    Ground The Streets Part 6 by 3dc. *

City City by Most Digital Creations.
    West Mansion Ancient-Parts-&-Pieces by A::DP. *

Shader DAZ Studio 3 Default Shader Presets by Digitani.
    Shader D|S Noir shaders, Noir Expansion #3 by EustaceScrubb. *
    Shader D|S Noir shaders, Noir Expansion #1 by EustaceScrubb. *
    Shader D|S Noir shaders, Noir Expansion #2 by EustaceScrubb. *

Paid For Items:
    Batboy Millennium Kids - Young Teens by DAZ 3D. *
    Batboy:Suit Sidekicks for Luke and Laura by Valandar. * DAZ Vault
    Joker Michael 3.0 Base by DAZ 3D. * DAZ Vault
    Joker Michael 3.0 Head & Body Morphs by DAZ 3D. *

So let's talk a little more about Comic Life. It was a fun experience to create the page. There are lots of templates and options for you to choose from and if you want to do your own thing you can. What I did find was that if there is a template you like but you find the styles available for that template don't meet your needs you need to do a little trick to get access to other options. For my page I had selected the URBANA template but the picture style was black and white. So what I did was opened up a Blank Default Template with styles and saved it out as a new comic. Once I did that I went back to my URBANA page and imported the styles from the blank comic book I just saved. You will find the import function under Format->Import Styles... Have fun with this little program. It is very easy software to use and a whole bunch of fun making a story page.

Render03-DAZ.jpg
    600 x 776 - 534K