Huge file called contentdb.dat --content management service? Can it be moved?

twallingtwalling Posts: 241
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Currently residing on my 120GB C: drive is a file, neatly hidden away in a directory known as "Program Data" and then a Daz Studio subfolder off of that which then has a little folder called "Content Management Service" which then contiains "Databases" and when I've finally dug into that folder, I find a 67GB file called "contentdb.dat"

I'm assuming it's a Content Management Service database, but it's whopping huge, and it's taking over the solid state drive I want to use exclusively for my system.

Is there a way to move the database to a much larger hard drive? I can't find a setting for this anywhere. Does it HAVE to reside on my C: drive?

I don't even USE the "content management service" as far as I can tell?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

That is your SMART content data. Move it Delete it and Smart will stop working for you. IF you do not USE Smart or Categories it can go.

You had a option at Install of Where the CMS would install. I'll see if the DB can be moved.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • twallingtwalling Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

Thank you... I don't believe I use smart content. I just go digging through my folders for my stuff. So, it's not going to crash if I delete it, then?

edited December 1969

Thanks again for your help... I deleted the file and restarted the program, does not appear to have hurt anything and I've reclaimed my disk space.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If it was 67GB it was corrupted anyway -- mine isn't even 67MB.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I was not going to Assume just how much content the user had... I get in trouble when I assume things.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

If it was 67GB it was corrupted anyway -- mine isn't even 67MB.

I agree. That's a database file (and compressed, too). I shudder to think how much actual content you would need to require a metadata file of that size. 67Gb is more than my content takes up (50Gb) and my dat file for that is 14Mb. It would also kill my Windows as my C drive, being an SSD, has only 118Gb with 70Gb to spare currently.
    edited December 1969

Yeah, 67GB seemed a bit... excessive!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

DIM was installing CMS with out giving the user options as to where to install. If you don't use Smart Content you can uninstall CMS. You may have to manually Fit To some clothing to figures without CMS but otherwise no great loss.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Yeah, at 67GB your contentdb was definitely not in a happy state. I have 430GB of actual content, manually catagorized in multiple locations, etc. and my contentdb.dat is only a little over 100MB. The index file is 270MB though, still no where near even 1GB much less 67GB.