Hey, did you guys hear Carrara 8.5 will launch on August 26th, 2013?

DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
edited August 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Of course you did because the announcement was made on Carrara Cafe this weekend. The rumors are true though, Carrara 8.5 will launch on the 26th of this month.

Here is a list of the new features:

Native DSON Importer means seamless integration of:
TriAxTM Weight Mapped figures (Genesis, G2F, G2M)
General Weight Mapped figures
Legacy Parametric Figures (4th Generation and earlier)
DSON presets
Scenes
Scene Subsets
Wearable(s) Preset
Character Preset
Properties Preset
Shaping Preset
Pose Preset
Hierarchical Material(s) Preset
Material(s) Preset
Shader Preset (preset must be for a Carrara shader)
Camera(s) Preset
Light(s) Preset
Support for multiple UV sets (through Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) Presets)
Native AutoFit functionality means:
Conversion of legacy parametric clothing to TriAxTM weigh mapped figures
Automatic Morph Projection quickly gives you the fit you need for your figure's shape.
Automatic Weight Map Projection allows AutoFit clothing to bend and pose smoothly with the figure.
Morphs built into clothing are carried through the AutoFit process.
Improved Sequencer, Keyframing and Animation Tools
New keyboard shortcuts to:
Play/Stop animation
Advance the frame
Preview a frame
Key Frame Filters
Sample – Creates a key at every frame of the animation.
Smooth – Smooth out wild keys to get an even looking animation
Reduce – Programatically determine which keys are unecessary and eliminate them.
Graph Editor Box allows for fine tuning of animations
Easily adjust timing
Simple yet powerful manipulation of amplitude
Scale, and translate key frames along the Graph Editor.
Marquee selection of key frames for Graph Editor.
Smart Content and CMS Integration
Carrara can now access the CMS database.
New smart content pane allows users to browse smart content by:
File
Category
Product
File view provides selection based filtering so that the user only sees items compatible with the current instance tray selection.
Double click and drag and drop loading are both supported in Smart Content Tab.
Parameters Actions
Zero, Memorize and Restore:
Figure
Figure Shape
Figure Pose
Selection
Selection Shape
Selection Pose
Selection Tree
Selection Tree Pose
Selection Tree Shape
Provides users with powerful tools to reset a pose, shape or both.
Memorize and Restore allow user to take a snap shot of the model's current pose and/or shape and restore all or part of it.
Improved Fit to Functionality
Automatic projection and following of morphs for TriAx Figures
No more relying on built in clothing morphs to fit clothing over a figure. Carrara automatically projects any morphs for a TriAx figure onto items conformed to the figure.
Improved Viewport Avatars
Spotlight, Sunlight, Moonlight, Tube Lights and Shape lights have all received a makeover and can easily be identified in the viewport.

Post edited by DZ_jared on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

I would love a heads up on how many cans and bottles (at 0.10 AUD a pop) I need to take to the scouts recycling centre to pay for the upgrade so I can start bin scabbing if nescessary. :lol:

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

I'm not allowed to announce the price yet, but I can say that all of the new features have been documented.

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    I'm not allowed to announce the price yet, but I can say that all of the new features have been documented.

Sounds good.

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Wowowow can't wait! Bravo to the development team for getting this done. {8=)]

• TurnerTurner Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

It's been so long... I don't remember what would qualify a buyer of C8 to a free upgrade.

Any idea?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:

That's really good news! Will that be released at the same time, or is there a way to preview it?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Here's to that wonderful software development team who have been toiling over this for so long!
    Cheers to the lot of you!
    And Thank you for putting so much heart and soul into it!

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure if this makes me a horrible person or not...

but I read the announcement, took in the date and feature list...

...and the reflexive eyeroll almost knocked me out cold.

edited December 1969

Turner said:
    It's been so long... I don't remember what would qualify a buyer of C8 to a free upgrade.

Any idea?

We haven't released a price. I can't say for a certainty, but I don't think there will be any free upgrades to C8.5. That isn't an official statement or answer in any way though.

edited August 2013

PhilW said:
    DAZ_jared said:

That's really good news! Will that be released at the same time, or is there a way to preview it?

Right now everything is in the Docs center in a private section. It is currently under review by the SW Devs and a DAZ_Spooky. Nothing in the docs is final yet. I don't have the ability to move the docs from public to private, but I'll see if I can't get a sneak peak posted here in the next day or two.

Here's a .pdf of one of the docs: http://www.art-collab.com/DAZ/Carrara_8.5_animationfilters.pdf

Post edited by DZ_jared on
  • JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited August 2013

Bummer
    I just bought Carrara Pro 8, I guess I picked the wrong time =(

So Carrara 8.5Pro Beta no longer works?
    Do I have to reinstall Carrara 8 Pro?
    Will files created in Carrara 8.5 beta work in Carrara 8 Pro?

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

File
    Category
    Product
    File view provides selection based filtering so that the user only sees items compatible with the current instance tray selection.

hope it works and isn't as slow as a dead snail!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited August 2013

thanks Daz_Jared, appreciate the time and effort you have all put in !
    and thanks for doing docs!!!!
    in the land of the blind users the man with the manual is king ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    File
    Category
    Product

hope it works and isn't as slow as a dead snail!

I had to work with the Smart Content Tab quite a bit when I was documenting it. It ran fine for me. There was maybe a 2-3 second lag between when I made a selection and when the files view filtered it. Everything else was pretty snappy. I am running a fairly decent machine at work, but by no means top of the line.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

thanks Daz_Jared, appreciate the time and effort you have all put in !
    and thanks for doing docs!!!!
    in the land of the blind users the man with the manual is king ;)

Well I love being king for a day. I'll try to post more tomorrow. DAZ_ann0314 was kind enough to let me borrow server space to host the document.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    PhilW said:
    DAZ_jared said:

Right now everything is in the Docs center in a private section. It is currently under review by the SW Devs and a DAZ_Spooky. Nothing in the docs is final yet. I don't have the ability to move the docs from public to private, but I'll see if I can't get a sneak peak posted here in the next day or two.

Here's a .pdf of one of the docs: http://www.art-collab.com/DAZ/Carrara_8.5_animationfilters.pdf

"a DAZ_Spooky" - what, there's more than one?!!

• edited August 2013

Just had a quick look at the Cafe - they said a 50% discount for 2 weeks but no price. I would hope that perhaps this is 50% off the normal upgrade price and not the full price as the feature list doesn't justify more than 30-50USD for me. Guess I'll be sticking to 8.1 as it mostly does what I want anyway.

Post edited by b.g.dines_c66d1585dc on
  • Michael CMichael C Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    We haven't released a price. I can't say for a certainty, but I don't think there will be any free upgrades to C8.5. That isn't an official statement or answer in any way though.

This is unfortunate. I understand that most of the changes are for DAZ/Genesis, but some of them fix serious bugs in 8.1, that I posted to the bug system years ago and provided examples so they could be fixed. Unfortunately none of the fixes got inot 8.1, only 8.5. At least one of these bugs makes 8.1 unusable to me for what I do with it, so I will be forced to upgrade even though I don't use DAZ studio or Genesis.
  • circular05circular05 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Since I'm a traditional designer / illustrator, the only reason I'd upgrade is for Mac OS compatibility. I was never able to use 8.1 reasonably well on my Mac and only got a decent amount of work done using the 8.5 betas. So naturally I hope the price is a total steal and we can start seeing v9 betas soon. :-)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the work you guys have put into getting this release out, Daz_jared - a manual on the new features will be most welcome.

Quick question, but very important to me making my purchase decision - do Optitex dynamic clothing sims transfer over to C8.5 reliably and have the bones been fixed so that they are solid as in Studio and not those awful Carrara dotted lines?

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Thanks for all the work you guys have put into getting this release out, Daz_jared - a manual on the new features will be most welcome.

Quick question, but very important to me making my purchase decision - do Optitex dynamic clothing sims transfer over to C8.5 reliably and have the bones been fixed so that they are solid as in Studio and not those awful Carrara dotted lines?

I'm assuming you want to transfer the simulation from Studio? I don't think that there was anything changed from the previous workflow. You essentially have to freeze the simulation and bring it over into Carrara, there isn't native support for DAZ Studio dynamic clothing in the new version of Carrara.

Attached is a screen shot of how the rigging displays for Genesis 2 Female in Carrara.

Rigging.png
    469 x 531 - 76K
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited August 2013

Michael C said:
    At least one of these bugs makes 8.1 unusable to me for what I do with it, so I will be forced to upgrade even though I don't use DAZ studio or Genesis.

That's my problem, too. In my case it is the object importing. There seems to be an issue in the 8.1 version that is fixed in the 8.5 version.

I recently purchased Carrara 8.1, I am hopping the price will be bearable for recent purchasers of Carrara to upgrade.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

It sounds like 8.5 will let me use any of my clothing on any of my charactes and it will automatically fit right with no poke through and no endless fiddling with parameters. That sounds too good to be true, honestly, but if so, that alone would be enough to entice me as long as the price is reasonable.

I know it doesn't work that way in the beta version of 8.5 I'm running now, but it's an older beta (I stopped trying the betas when back when daz redesigned the forums and I couldn't even log in for several months, because I never could figure out where to find the downloads for the betas in the new system. I've also remained a platinum club member out of sheer laziness as with the new system I have bought almost no other daz products since then).

I haven't really had a chance to play with a working version of Genesis1, much less Genesis2, but frankly from what I've seen I'm not sure that V4 isn't superior, as long as you get all the Perfect fixes for it. Still it would be nice to try it out, I think...

Even thought development cycle has been extremely long, it doesn't feel like they've actually *done* much, so it's hard to justify any kind of big expense to upgrade, even though I want to keep current.

I'm hoping for the best, though...

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    It sounds like 8.5 will let me use any of my clothing on any of my charactes and it will automatically fit right with no poke through and no endless fiddling with parameters. That sounds too good to be true, honestly, but if so, that alone would be enough to entice me as long as the price is reasonable.

I know it doesn't work that way in the beta version of 8.5 I'm running now, but it's an older beta (I stopped trying the betas when back when daz redesigned the forums and I couldn't even log in for several months, because I never could figure out where to find the downloads for the betas in the new system. I've also remained a platinum club member out of sheer laziness as with the new system I have bought almost no other daz products since then).

I haven't really had a chance to play with a working version of Genesis1, much less Genesis2, but frankly from what I've seen I'm not sure that V4 isn't superior, as long as you get all the Perfect fixes for it. Still it would be nice to try it out, I think...

Even thought development cycle has been extremely long, it doesn't feel like they've actually *done* much, so it's hard to justify any kind of big expense to upgrade, even though I want to keep current.

I'm hoping for the best, though...

Clothing will work similar to how it works in Studio. There is backward compatibility, but not forward compatibility. You won't be able to autofit genesis clothing to a Gen 4 figure, but the reverse is true. Auto-fit relies on clones, so as long as the figure you are trying to fit the clothing to has a clone for the figure the clothing was originally designed for the clothing can be autofit. Genesis and Genesis 2 Female both come with default clones, and more can be purchased in the DAZ store.

Carrara 8.5 supports morph projection for DSON figures, but not legacy figures. This means that if you morph genesis or genesis 2 female that morph will be projected on to the clothing. I can't guarantee it will work perfectly, but it will be better than the alternative.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Auto-fit relies on clones, so as long as the figure you are trying to fit the clothing to has a clone for the figure the clothing was originally designed for the clothing can be autofit. Genesis and Genesis 2 Female both come with default clones, and more can be purchased in the DAZ store.

Are there any plans for a clone of The DAZ Cow, so we can Autofit Skankwear to her?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Well something happened along the way that is making some of my V4 clothing work better on my morphed out V4 character - where before I would have to make my own morphs for. Could it possibly be that I updated that figure over to an updated V4 base? Possibly - but it feels to me like the change is more significant. Things like S4 morphs working on clothes that have no support morphs for S4, etc.,
    I didn't go out and test this - it's just something that I've been enjoying of late.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

Hopefully it'll be on sale again in October, I'm planning on getting Gia Starter bundle, which I'm assuming Gia is the She-Freak for Generation 6 and the Girl 6 Pro bundle, so don't dare put $100+ more on my credit as I'm still paying Off V6 and G2F :/ lol

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Auto-fit relies on clones, so as long as the figure you are trying to fit the clothing to has a clone for the figure the clothing was originally designed for the clothing can be autofit. Genesis and Genesis 2 Female both come with default clones, and more can be purchased in the DAZ store.

Are there any plans for a clone of The DAZ Cow, so we can Autofit Skankwear to her?

Of course, but only once the new improved DAZ Cow 2 is ready. Such perfection can't be rushed.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:

Give me a couple days Sock- I may be able to get a picture of a cow in skankware. I'm just not sure if I can find a thong and tube top in her size. What size would 1200 lbs correspond to anyway? :wow:

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:

Of course, but only once the new improved DAZ Cow 2 is ready. Such perfection can't be rushed.

OK, take your time.

You have all night!